Pitboss Hosting and Passwords

LordRahl

The Objectivist
Does hosting a pitboss game allow me to peek into other players civs? I'm asking because I would like to prevent a posiblity of that happening. I remember reading somewhere that if you don't set an admin password you can't look into other peoples civs. Does anyone have any more info on this? Thanks.

Do you mean is there any way you could? Yeah, you could take one of the save game files and open it up. You could also packet sniff the data while someone is logged in and figure out what they're doing. Of course it's possible to cheat.

Maybe you're asking if it's easy to accidentially get information you shouldn't have? That would be a reasonable concern but you'll be happy to know that the answer is no. You can tell when people log in and out, and what their scores are (all information that appears on Civstats anyway if you use that) but you can't get any information outside of that without really trying.

I am hosting a couple games, and I just want the players to feel comfortable that I am not gaining any unfair advantage by being the host.

LordRahl said:
I am hosting a couple games, and I just want the players to feel comfortable that I am not gaining any unfair advantage by being the host.

As Overload says, the availability of Civstats takes away whatever little advantage you'd otherwise have from being the host. That aside, the only two ways to cheat that I can think of are to crack open a savefile, or close/reload the game based on your own combat results etc.

Top Bottom