[BNW] Playing the same game over and over until I get it right

@zxcvbob, I want to thank you for sharing this game. I enjoyed it well enough. I moved 1 hex SE to settle on T0, which even with the benefit of hindsight I think is the best spot.

I did my usual Scout, Scout, Shrine opener and got the last religion. I played conservative 4-city Tradition until I was first to Ideologies. I waited to roll the map until I unlocked Clauswitz. I only got one tech from the UA.

I am going to play it again, abusing map knowledge (for OWN) and opening Liberty. Liberty will let me skip hard building an early Worker, so maybe I will be able to take some cities with the UU.

Last edited:
Wanted to play a little bit of civ after a long time. Finished this in 106 turns with domination. Standard Liberty opener into Composite Bows and then some siege towers. Didn't last long enough for XBows :)

Opener was Scout Monument Worker

Hardest part of the map is probably raging barbs but it also slows down the AI so it's not that bad.
Spoiler :

Last edited:
Wanted to play a little bit of civ after a long time. Finished this in 106 turns with domination. Standard Liberty opener into Composite Bows and then some siege towers. Didn't last long enough for XBows :)

Opener was Scout Monument Worker

Hardest part of the map is probably raging barbs but it also slows down the AI so it's not that bad.

106 turns? That's crazy! I just tried it again and it took me 179 turns, but at least I was the dominant civ the whole game. It took about 50 turns just to get going. Didn't build any shrines or barracks or culture buildings (except monuments; monuments were a high priority) so all my hammers and GPT could go to military units, markets, coliseums, and a stable and circus at my #2 city. Because of my UA, libraries and National College were low priorities, but I built them eventually. But negative GPT still slowed me down. I was planning to settle 3 cities, but Celts somehow beat me to the spot by Kilimanjaro. First war was a joint war with Dido against Ethiopia. We totally wiped Hallie out; I got Addis Ababa and another city that I razed. Dido got a terrible 1-pop city with no luxes or resources that she kept. Next war was against Carthage. I took all her cities except that terrible Ethiopian puppet. She never did annex it, BTW.

I was just about to declare war on Boudicca when the Maya and Rome declared a joint war against me. I easily annihilated the Maya; razed all the cities except Palenque. While this was going on, I declared war on the Celts to steal a great prophet that was about to convert my city and used it to enhance my religion (I took a great prophet for the Liberty finisher) and to capture all her missionary spam. I realized the Celts would be easier to defeat than Rome because the Roman cities had castles already, trebuchets, and legions. So I took all her cities (razed one), then marched to Rome with both armies and multiple great generals. By now I had crossbows. I captured a Roman city; I think it was Cumae, then citadel-bombed Rome and captured it in about 3 or 4 turns with siege towers, pikes, crossbows, a chariot archer, and a longsword.

The barbarians were stronger than any of the AI's. I might should have opened Honor after my first few policies in Liberty. I completed Liberty, then opened Honor and took the policies on the left side (more generals, and faster XP) I built 2 wonders when I couldn't afford to build anything else that cost GPT: Machu Picchu and the Great Wall. I never annexed any of the capitals I captured, I wonder if that slowed me down? Also I never built any caravans because I figured the barbs would plunder them almost immediately.[/QUOTE]

It's great to see Acken appearing on the forums again. And always interesting to hear from someone who really knows the game. It seems I still play on tramlines to a set formula -- which is what you do when you don't really understand the mechanics. Thanks for all the input over the years!

Top Bottom