Please explain how do you play the game without mod?

zombie1305

Chieftain
Reading in many different forums I found there are large amount of players who do not use any mod at all. But how?

I understand that the AI is very hard to code but the vanilla AI is seriously unplayable because they are basically not working at all. And also by all means I am not pro at this game, I am a noob playing at emperor difficulty.

In my game yesterday, classical era, Assyria settle a new city very close to me and after 30-40 turns (epic pace) he declare war on me. OK game on! I am very exciting about this. By scouting, he has 4 melee units and 4 archer units. I only have 3 melee, a general but I have about 900 gold, so I am prepare to have gold spend for more military units if necessary. I am also planning to have my general convert into Citadel if things go out of hand, I am very very exciting about planning this defend tactic and how to deal with it. However, while his 4 melee units charge into my unit, the archers just stood there and do nothing even though they are in range of shooting. So with promotion upgrades and all that, my 3 melee finally killed their 4 melee, two of them are under 10hp. The AI can easily wipes my units out with one attack but, what these archers did is running around my units without shooting?!?! From this point on I feel gutted and am defeated of how stupid AI is so I deciding to throw the game, I delete my 3 melee and general. The Assyria also brought tons of melee reinforcement coming from his capital but they do not attack me at all. I even had a worker building improvement in a hexagon adjacent to one of his unit, no capture happening or anything. After just sit there and skip for 20 turns just watching AI units run back and forth, I just decide to quit the game, no point playing against a baby sitter like this.

I know Civ 5 is a very well received game, Civ 6 as well. But with this degree of AI, how is this playable? The game in theory is 10/10 but in practical but may be 2/10 in practice. I haven't tried myself but I heard Vox Populi mod is great and will fix AI, I will do it tonight. But my confusion is why there are still people playing this game without mod and claimed its good? Or when you rate Civ 5 game, you actually are rating it with mods added with it.

Last edited:
I am a noob playing at emperor difficulty.
I think your playing at Emperor is the source of your frustration. Anything below Immortal, and the game is hard to lose.
But my confusion is why there are still people playing this game without mod and claimed its good? Or when you rate Civ 5 game, you actually are rating it with mods added with it.
I am not playing with mods. I would rate Civ5 as 9/10. The only game I have enjoyed more was SMACX.

Last edited:
I think your playing at Emperor is the source of your frustration. Anything below Immortal, and the game is hard to lose.

I am not playing with mods. I would rate Civ5 as 9/10. The only game I have enjoyed more was SMACX.

Your second favorite game is a 9/10? Harsh.

@OP perhaps you don't realize how ranged units work. They can't attack through hills or trees, etc.

Play the game at Immortal and u will get rekt by AI players
Not even close. I played my first deity game yesterday (small map, 4 players). I was last in soldier count, 3rd in tech. Pedro and his friend declared a joint surprise war. They tried for 50 turns without even succesfully killing 1 unit. They even had a close by city state as allies aNd I was having encounters with rifled and gattling gunned barbarians.

The AI is such a mellow sponge, regzrdless of difficulty.
They can crush you if:
- you are seriously outnumbered
- your city is out in the open without hindering natural obstacles like lakes, mountains and you are outnumbered.
To make it even remotely challenging, you have to cripple yourself by deleting your first settler or something.
You can however easily lose if you let 1 or 2 opponents slip. If they become too strong and wide, you might be screwed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom