Please improve English stability

AtlantaMarty

No longer active
I've tried a couple times this week, and it's impossible to achieve the first UHV without losing cities to secession because of low stability.

Is there a strategy I'm missing?

If not, Absinthe please give them like 5 extra stability points, so that they don't collapse so easily

I’ve been told by other people that the trick is to take Scotland first and then France. On the other hand, I actually did UHV1 France-first because I kept rerolling starts until I got one where I could capture Paris immediately :goodjob:

I’ve been told by other people that the trick is to take Scotland first and then France.

I tried that, but got the event where Scotland declared independence like 3 turns after they collapsed.

On the other hand, I actually did UHV1 France-first because I kept rerolling starts until I got one where I could capture Paris immediately :goodjob:

Was this on the 1200 start?

It's been a while since I last played England, but my strategy was to rush Scotland ASAP before they start building those crappy cities.
Raze everything but Edinburgh and maybe Inverness, and make sure to have a few troops nearby (but not within the city, they might flip) to put down insurrections.

Stability across the board needs to be raised for all Empires. The threshold for secession is currently too low, even when you are sticking only to historical areas.

My issue with stability is civics, in that the Feudal combination of civics is basically the best set of civics bar none for stability and everything else until the very end of the game by which point it’s irrelevant

Harder than DoC? I wouldn’t say that necessarily, there’s some finicky stuff that’s hard to handle in that mod when you’re going for UHVs

Harder than SoI? Sure, I remember reaching +80 during Golden Ages sometimes there :crazyeye:

My issue with stability is civics, in that the Feudal combination of civics is basically the best set of civics bar none for stability and everything else until the very end of the game by which point it’s irrelevant
I absolutely agree with that. Civics need some massive updates.
Hopefully I will have time to get on those too in one of the next versions.

I just wanted to say that I don't have problems with stability (playing on Emperor) and if there are problems they are justified. I would even suggest the opposite: except for conquest, stability is too easy (reaching +100 stability with France for example). That said, prerequisite for a healthy stability is a healthy set of civics (Militarism from the get go, etc.)
City secession could be handled differently sometimes. Spawn some barbs when you have low stability for example. That way - if you lose your city - not all of your culture is lost. You can just capture it back.

I think stability is fine...
Conquest is hard as allways

Likewise, I was fine with England on Emperor.

The trick is to go slowly and not try to grow too big too fast. You have until 1453AD to get the UHV, take it one step at a time. IIRC my strategy was:

Stage 1: Conquer Wales and Paris, which was undefended on spawn, then Nantes which was indie
Stage 2: Sue for peace with France, gave them some gold, conquer / settle Ireland whilst building manor houses in all cities
Stage 3: Invade Scotland, capture Edinburgh. Now building courthouses
Stage 4: Return to France, capture another couple of cities and collapse them. Mop up the indie cities, just one Burgundian city to deal with in Orleans. Manor and courthouses in all cities in France
Stage 5: Back to Scotland, kill them and raze cities, build Inverness. Manor and courthouse first builds
Stage 6: Capture the Burgundian city one turn before the UHV deadline. Mop up Burgundy at leisure once UHV is done

At every stage, check the happiness and health of your cities. Don't let cities go unhappy or unhealthy whilst conquering as that will kill the stability as well. Only one war at once, always building stability buildings first and foremost.

Top Bottom