PolyCast Episode 268: "Just Jump In"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication

Get started. The two-hundred-and-sixty-eighth episode of PolyCast, "Just Jump In", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Stephanie "Makahlua" and "MadDjinn" with twelve rotating guests who have previously appeared on the show at least once. Celebrating the release of Civilization VI, it carries an extended runtime of 85m05s.

The rotation of guests is as follows:

- 07m39s | Guest Panel (1 of 6)
First in the guest seats are Jason "MegaBearsFan" Grade and Scott "AlphaShard" Dirk.
- 23m05s | Guest Panel (2 of 6)
Next in, Josh "zosh127" and "ekat2468".
- 37m49s | Guest Panel (3 of 6)
The trio of Jon "CanuckSoldier" Ryder, "the man of doom" and Ernie "DarkestOnion" come in.
- 51m33s | Guest Panel (4 of 6)
Now arriving, Jonah Falcon and Sal "Thorburne" Serio.
- 62m37s | Guest Panel (5 of 6)
In next, "NewEarthRelic" and "CanusAlbinus".
- 71m06s | Guest Panel (6 of 6)
Last but not least, Brian "Drusain".

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Counting up, feline interruption and everyone's a critic.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production recording live every other Saturday throughout the year, in an ongoing effort to give the Civilization community an interactive voice; sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding, TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Ugly for me has to be the UI since that has kept me from playing (and that's after turning off auto-cycle).

No hotkeys for many, many basic functions including show yields, show resources, next unit. We get a hotkey for Delete Unit, but not for Next Unit (for crying out loud). I would say the hotkey person dropped the ball, but I don't see how there could have been anyone responsible for hotkeys...
I see very few people complaining about this. I'm starting to think everyone else in the world plays with mouse only.

Also the UI scaling doesn't work (at least not with 1440p) which makes it uncomfortable to play even for those of us with normal vision. Isn't 1440 the go-to resolution these days? It's too bad because it looks great on my 1080p laptop.

I'm guessing these things will be corrected, so I'll be holding off until then.
On the bright side Age of Wonders III appears to be finished.

For you, LF, "ugly" = UI and "bad" = mostly missing hotkeys: what's your "good" for CivVI?

Yes, good point.
Since I haven't spent much time at all with it, I don't have a very good perspective on the game itself. However...

The mechanics seem to be intact.
I don't mind balance issues and I don't believe poor performing AI is a launch killer (others would certainly disagree).
I'm also feeling lucky to have the Move To hotkey since I use that on every unit turn, but that's more of a backhanded positive.

I'll be glad when I can play in earnest. Right now it's like playing Centipede with a keyboard.

Top Bottom