Possible bug in unit garrisoning

kjades

Chieftain
Hey guyz, I'm having a match as greece using nighs mod.
The problem is, even though I adopted the policy (can't remember the name now :|) that cancels maintenance on garrisoned units, one of my unit (riflemen) is not affected, I still pay maintenance even with it garrisoned.
The strange thing is that for the other 2 units, two crossbowmen, the policy works perfectly, I do not pay any maintenance for them.

Any possible explanations? :confused:
Could it be linked to the fact that I edited the Gamespeed.xml file, changing research time lenght and similar things? (I swear I didn't touch anything else :mischief:)
Maybe a bug?

ps. I also noticed that no matter how many gold producing buildings I build, it's always hard not to have a negative balance...and neither of the AI players have positive incomes (GPT), they're all negative...is it normal? I mean, does anyone else have the same situation with this mod?
Thx a bunch!

Hey guyz, I'm having a match as greece using nighs mod.
The problem is, even though I adopted the policy (can't remember the name now :|) that cancels maintenance on garrisoned units, one of my unit (riflemen) is not affected, I still pay maintenance even with it garrisoned.
The strange thing is that for the other 2 units, two crossbowmen, the policy works perfectly, I do not pay any maintenance for them.

Any possible explanations? :confused:
Could it be linked to the fact that I edited the Gamespeed.xml file, changing research time lenght and similar things? (I swear I didn't touch anything else :mischief:)
Maybe a bug?

ps. I also noticed that no matter how many gold producing buildings I build, it's always hard not to have a negative balance...and neither of the AI players have positive incomes (GPT), they're all negative...is it normal? I mean, does anyone else have the same situation with this mod?
Thx a bunch!

Gamespeed.xml shouldn't have an effect on garrison costs - I'll look into why this is occurring. (I kind of suspect that older units may get hit with a cost while newer units do not).

As for balancing money - changing the gamespeed.xml will definitely have a negative effect - as the games been balanced around it's current levels. If you slow it down too much without adjusting ALL of the buildings and wonders to compensate, the AI will start going into terrible debt. Likewise if you speed it up and open up too many buildings/units for production, the AI will build based on it's coded flavors, (which generally favor happiness/production), which will also cause them to to into massive debt.

Also the economy has been balanced to function the best around standard/epic levels of play (as these appear to be the most common). The game is least balanced around Marathon, just because everything takes so long to build/research, and if the AI makes one poor choice, this kind of snowballs until they get a chance to correct it.

The more you play the mod, you'll find ways to balance your economy through policies, buildings, and improvements (remember that trading posts and customs houses give bonus gold when built directly adjacent to a city).

MMm I immagined it could be due to that...anyway, thanks for the explanation, most useful...
After all, I'll have to restart the match...once more :|
Anyway, great mod indeed, and now that u adapted it to GaK I'm really craving to purchase the expansion :)
Thx again!

MMm I immagined it could be due to that...anyway, thanks for the explanation, most useful...
After all, I'll have to restart the match...once more :|
Anyway, great mod indeed, and now that u adapted it to GaK I'm really craving to purchase the expansion :)
Thx again!

Thanks kjades - the expansion version is a bit more fleshed out at this point as I managed to fix some of the bugs in the current vanilla version, (like being able to load saved games from within an existing game and getting a working "close" button on the tech tree).

Just keep an eye out for a good Steam sale before making the purchase. :)

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm waiting for :| no money, no party :D
Anyway, yeah, that "load save" option during a match is really needed...my noobness takes me to reloading a match several times, and having to get to the main menu and reload everything from there each time...:mad:
:D

ps: oh, btw, will it ever be possible to implement the Cultural Victory in this mod? It would be even better... :crazyeye:

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm waiting for :| no money, no party :D
Anyway, yeah, that "load save" option during a match is really needed...my noobness takes me to reloading a match several times, and having to get to the main menu and reload everything from there each time...:mad:
:D

ps: oh, btw, will it ever be possible to implement the Cultural Victory in this mod? It would be even better... :crazyeye:

I could... But I'm not a huge fan of that victory type because I feel it drastically restricts gameplay options in that it forces you down certain paths (in that you don't deviate and experiment with different policy options).

I'm more likely to add a new victory type, possibly something focused on production - an industrial victory of sorts. There's a few things I'm playing around with right now. :)

Woowww....well, I can't wait to see that too :) Anyway, why do u say that, about cultural victory?
(Noobness on me :S )

Woowww....well, I can't wait to see that too :) Anyway, why do u say that, about cultural victory?
(Noobness on me :S )

I think it just makes players feel that they're not being efficient if they don't stick to the bare minimum amount of policy branches needed to unlock that victory type - which really stifles experimentation and locks you into a set path (although it wouldn't be nearly as bad if all branches were available at the start of the game). I see Civ more as a game where your decisions are constantly evolving as the game progresses, and where you should never have to choose what victory type you're going to go for right away at the start of the game. This lack of customization is one area where I feel Civ V really dropped the ball compared to earlier iterations - and this applies from everything to choosing early victory types, to the straight line tech-tree that offers little to no variability.

And don't get me started on the cookie cutter terrain and tile improvement bonuses that just scream "worker automation" due to their generic yields. :crazyeye:

I see...may I ask u what your favorite race, game settings, victory condition and following strat are? I really need some tutoring...well, to stay in line perhaps I should say "some Patronage"... :D

Top Bottom