Post-2020 AD "Terra Incognita gameplay" curiosity

CivEnthusiast

Chieftain
Hello!

Recently been genuinely wondering on how the mechanics of the game work after the final turn during the "One more turn..." gameplay phase. I know it's not a preferred topic to discuss here since the game is strictly history-themed and is only modded up until 2020 AD turn after which all the base mechanics on which the game usually runs start breaking, but my curiosity never prevents me from playing the beloved mod further and beyond the final turn at least to get all the tech researched and see how far it is possible to go. I always loved the idea of getting the civilization that you run throughout history into a more futuristic era beyond the modern one. At some point I even managed to reach the mid-XXII century when it was no longer possible to run the game as nearly all the civilizations collapse into the "Independents" who then swallow the entire map.

Is it still possible for the civilizations to respawn even after the 2020 AD turn? Or is it only achievable through the World Builder after the final turn of the game? Also were there thoughts and ideas to push the game in the future versions to the 2025 AD turn or even to the 2040 AD potentially? Added 15 years to the latter since Civilization IV was originally made in 2005 and the final turn was made to be a date 15 years later from that, and so in the same fashion adding 15 years to the 2025 AD. Would be interesting to see thoughts and opinions on all that.

Edit the code works. Nothing will change or break significantly after 2020 AD, but there's no more content prepared for this, especially when AI had finished the whole tech tree. There's not been a Next-War submod and you may create one!

Self-imposed Victory Goal: Remain Solid for every turn until 3000AD

I also enjoy just playing on. Warning: don't build too many guided missiles, you can crash the game. Use your stocks!

Second, the biggest risk to post-2020 stability is bad relations. Keep the nuking to a minimum.

Finally, for some reason some states just refuse to be vassalized even when down to one city and no units once you've already vassalized a ton of other civs. (I'm looking at you 2030s Franco--you known who you are!)

If anybody ever wants to create a mod mod of post-2020 and has the skills to do so let me know!

I also enjoy just playing on. Warning: don't build too many guided missiles, you can crash the game. Use your stocks!

Second, the biggest risk to post-2020 stability is bad relations. Keep the nuking to a minimum.

Finally, for some reason some states just refuse to be vassalized even when down to one city and no units once you've already vassalized a ton of other civs. (I'm looking at you 2030s Franco--you known who you are!)

If anybody ever wants to create a mod mod of post-2020 and has the skills to do so let me know!
Also observed that, all the civilizations begin having a crashing stability the less of them remain and the more of them have bad relations with each other.

That would actually be a neat idea if someone with skills made a "sequel" for Dawn of Civilization called something like "Dawn of Civilization: Into the Future" that encompasses Alternate Future scenarios in the post-2020 AD World, like forming new hypothetical civilizations or having one of the goals being unifying the whole planet under a single government whether it is through the war or diplomacy.

There's always a feeling that the original mod sort of ends on a "cliffhanger" once victory is achieved where the gameplay just stops at a certain date without a satisfying "culmination" whether it is a full takeover of the map or its destruction

The nuclear warfare in such a potential scenario could also lead to an apocalypse, ending the game for all civilizations on map over time as the map decays from the nuclear wastes.

And besides the pre-made 2020 AD World map the saves from the original "Dawn of Civilization" mod could also be used for a continuation campaign. This might have so much potential in my opinion

Last edited:

Has the limit gone? I swear it used to be 5 civs, but in my most recent Byzantium game I managed to vassalise 8 (7 by war, 1 peacefully).

No hard limits. But ordinary vassalize rule ceases when you are approaching domination victory. Beyond this, you can still force vassalize by threatening their last core capital city.

Except the Netherlands IIRC because otherwise it'd be too easy to vassalize them

No hard limits. But ordinary vassalize rule ceases when you are approaching domination victory. Beyond this, you can still force vassalize by threatening their last core capital city.
While conquering Mexico and Morocco with 8 capitulation vassals I already had, they had only one last city remaining each and even then still refused to capitulate

Last edited:
Almost a whole month was spent to finally reach the absolute end of the game by 2100 AD with the whole map either conquered or vassalized and the spaceship sent to Mars, phew

After some point, the conquests just stop affecting your stability, and then you can just take over the map with zero stability penalties

Attachments

• Civ4BeyondSword 2024-01-21 02-12-39-469.jpg
    Civ4BeyondSword 2024-01-21 02-12-39-469.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 187
  • Civ4BeyondSword 2024-01-21 02-18-12-353.jpg
    Civ4BeyondSword 2024-01-21 02-18-12-353.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 185
Almost a whole month was spent to finally reach the absolute end of the game by 2100 AD with the whole map either conquered or vassalized and the spaceship sent to Mars, phew

After some point, the conquests just stop affecting your stability, and then you can just take over the map with zero stability penalties
It's deeply fun when you realise that the -25 conquest stability max isn't going to stop anything, and that you can eventually ignore foreign penalties too. My question is: how on earth are those China/Japan/Arabia stable?

It's deeply fun when you realise that the -25 conquest stability max isn't going to stop anything, and that you can eventually ignore foreign penalties too. My question is: how on earth are those China/Japan/Arabia stable?
Managed to balance their stability through forcing the civics I chose upon them and giving them just enough land to not collapse, that didn't work tho with many other vassals I had due to giving them too much land to control and their stubborness on refusing to accept my civics

I am thoroughly surprised no one commented on how bad the "global warming" is in those screenshots. :crazyeye:

Top Bottom