Preview Option for Editing (Maybe it is just me but)

DeckerdJames

Warlord
I figured I would mention it just in case I am not the only one.

Since I will sometimes edit a post on this forum many times without ever using the preview option, it would be better for me if the [SAVE] or [POST] button was turned into the [PREVIEW] button and after I push [PREVIEW] it turns into [SAVE] or [POST] and [EDIT]. An advanced feature would allow saving and loading drafts if it isn't already available. I think it might already do it automatically. If it were to save all unpublished drafts on the thread object for a length of time.

Moderator Action: Moved to the Site Feedback forum and edited the title for clarification. Please note that more specific thread titles will draw better attention to your issue. Cheers- lymond

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say that I prefer the previous version of XenForo where you don't have to go hunting around for the very useful things like Save Draft. I often write a post, but then get called away, get distracted, need to look something up, or whatever else that means I'm not ready to post immediately. Saving the draft has sometimes saved a LOT of time.''

This business of having half the useful parts of the reply section either having to be toggled to use or we have to hunt for them and then toggle, while in the meantime the other half of the useful things become un-toggled is just a ROYAL PAIN.

To address the original question: We do have an option to save drafts. It's not exactly what you want, but might be handy.

To address Valka's question: You'd need to point out which. Feel free to use paint to circle relevant things etc.

To address the original question: We do have an option to save drafts. It's not exactly what you want, but might be handy.

To address Valka's question: You'd need to point out which. Feel free to use paint to circle relevant things etc.

It's not handy in this version of XenForo.

Here's the "Save Draft" option on TrekBBS (uses XenForo, but a different version than we do; forgive my lack of circle-drawing skill):

trekbbs-reply-field1.png

Note the "Save draft" icon that looks like an old-style floppy, between the curved arrows on the right and the plus sign to the left of it (for some reason the Paint-circled version didn't save properly). It's right there. Not hidden. It's HANDY.

Here's the CFC reply field:

cfc-reply-field1.png

I've circled the three dots that you need to click to find the Save Draft icon.

cfc-reply-field2.png

And here's the Save Draft icon, once you've figured out how to find it.

This is not at all intuitive. There are times when it's really frustrating to find the hidden stuff, and I still can't figure out the rhyme or reason why the B, I, and U (bold, italic, underline) are available or when you have to muck around with toggling this or that on/off. Thank goodness I've got most BBCodes memorized because this version of XenForo is really frustrating at times.

Btw, I realize that my view of this may look much larger than most people's. It's because I need things larger, to see them comfortably.

There are in total 4 different layouts of this box, depending on the size of your screen, so that only one row of buttons is displayed, preferably the most likely ones.
All the non-displayed buttons are under the triple-dot menu, but also not all sizes have all options, since this could get too cluttered on smaller screens.

What you see looks like it should be the medium size reply box, just that there is somehow unused space there, but no idea why. Might be a weird effect of the zoom.
Since this seems necessary for you (and I don't know how to really fix the issue), I've moved the "save draft" option in the main field, I hope this is okay now like this.

Please let us know if there are any other general comments/desires in these regards.
(this applies to everyone)

Top Bottom