Prince-tiny-Space Colony BtS 3.17 HoF Mod, playing for score (150K at 1680AD)

SirDrake

Warlord
As the thread title implies, the goal of this game was not simply to win (all too easy given the Civ selection and difficulty level), but to complete a Space Colony victory with as high a score as possible.

It is a far cry from the fastest, but it's my first HoF submission and a personal best score, so I thought I'd share.

Incipit

The battle is half-won (or at least a third) with self-serving parameters on the set-up screen:

Spoiler :

It all starts with a funny name.

We add a third AI rival to crowd the map a bit. This makes it more difficult for any AI civ to grab a lot of good territory early, and ensures that I will have something nearby to Quechua-rush.

"Why the Terra map?"

Why the Terra map, you ask? Simple. It allows us to spread our empire at will throughout the home continent, quickly subduing the AI players, without accidentally tripping a Conquest victory.

Ghandi is an obvious choice as everyone's favorite peace-mongering whipping boy.
Isabella likes to establish and spread a religion, making her an excellent early neighbor and target for elimination.
Finally, we pick Mansa Musa because he's the most generous tech trader.

Next, we fire up the map-finder utility and look for stone, 'cause I'm addicted to the Pyramids:

Spoiler :

In the construction trade, the term "marble" is used for any crystalline calcitic rock useful as building stone.

This is where I halted the map-finder, intending to exit the game and look over my three hits. But wait! Am I losing my marble? This ain't half bad, and if I can get stone with my second/third city, I'll be a wonder-building machine!

It turned out quite well. Mansa Musa, the most dangerous rival, was mired in the jungle up north. Isabella was right next door, sitting close to stone, and busy founding Buddhism. You'll forgive me for being too excited to take any screenshots for the first 180 turns.

So anyhoo: I teched for Bronze Working ASAP so I could chop some forests and produce [wooden?] Quechuas. I popped a copper tile right next to Cuzco, which provided an excellent yield (but no axemen for the war 'cause I hadn't researched the Wheel yet). Madrid soon fell.

After the war, I researched Masonry and started up the wonder-spamming machine:

Spoiler :

Incas conquer Spain, enslave native workers, plunder gold. Details at eleven.

The only drawback was that Ghandi had built a city one tile east of the stone right after I conquered Madrid. I had to Quechua-rush that one, too, which ticked him off (and no city for me-- it had one population and burned immediately).

We'll solve that problem next.

* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * -

Part duex.

Our major strategy can be summed up in two words: Hammers first. Of course we'll need lots of production for building the spaceship, as well as modern buildings (a Recycling Center costs as much as the Hanging Gardens!). But just as importantly, with a science-boosting tech like Education the sooner you can actually produce the enabled building (University) the sooner you get the benefit. If a :hammers:-focused tactic delays Education by 30 turns, but allows eight cities to each complete their Univeristy five turns sooner, I consider it a net gain.

So the wonder-spamming continues:

Spoiler :

When in doubt, build roads.

The Oracle slingshots us to Theology and work begins on the Apostolic Palace. It's worthwhile just for the +2:hammers: for Temples, Monasteries, & Cathedrals.

Which brings us to the secondary strategy: Squeeze all the benefit we can out of religion. Hence the problem with Ghandi. We want a big-money Shrine. We want friendly AIs and high-yield trade routes. But:

Spoiler :

The great Indian leader, shown here in front of an artist's rendition of their planned national monument-- assuming it doesn't get built somewhere else first.

My Buddhist Missionaries are turned back at the border. So I beg, instead, to be taught the ways of Hinduism, all to no avail. We are not just heathens, we Incans, we are heathens beyond hope.

An ambitious plan is conceived. Volunteers are called upon to make a pilgrimage, seeking enlightenment at the Holy Shrine of Delhi. Each pilgrim is dressed in a suit of metal, symbolizing the burden of sin, and each carries a bronze axe, symbolizing the desire to cut through ignorance.

There is resistance at the first stop, a city called Vijaynagara, where civil authorities try to restrain the eager pilgrims. But they sense the holiness even here, and press on heedless of the danger. The road to Dehli is now open:

Spoiler :

My catapults throw marble.

Again, there is a skirmish with civil authorities, but the pilgrims ultimately win the day. And enlightenment comes! In short order, Hinduism spreads throughout the Incan empire and we convert.

Inexplicably, this also resulted in two cities being added to said empire:
Spoiler :

Does 'Vijay' sound dirty to you? Don't blame me, Ghandi named it.

This one is going to make a great research city with cottages on those flood plains.

Spoiler :

Yes, those are cows feeding the Hindu Holy City. They provide only milk and cheese, I swear. That was a goatburger I just ate.

Dehli, of course, will be the eventual Wall Street city. It's got a bit of a culture problem at the moment, but kicking out a few wonders will solve that problem without resorting to war.

Next up: Patience on the Mayan front, and the Industrial Renaissance.

The facade of shared devotion works its magic on Ghandi, and we soon have open borders. But MM the Mali has gone Jewish, and a slight buildup in his border towns suggests that he suspects some hostility. But really, I have no intention of attacking until he builds a decent wonder, or at the very least clears some jungle and improves his cities. A pity I can't express that on the diplomacy screen.

Spoiler :

Presumably, the unused Hanging Garden parts were sold to the Mali. Not unlike Russian spaceships which, having lost the moon race, are now rented out to NASA.

And there it is. I won't get the population boost from the Hanging Gardens, but I do need the +1:health:

The war starts out well, but those Skirmishers inflict heavier-than-expected casualties. I stall at the fourth Mali city on the main landmass, make peace, build a few more units, and then go back to finish the job.

Just in time, I remember to include "Convert to Hinduism" as one of the peace conditions. After checking my trade routes-- too many domestic, not enough foreign-- I gift Currency to both AIs.

Eternal peace descends on the world, and now it's time to decide on tech priorities.

Spoiler :

Didn't I say "hammers first"?

Constitution + Corporation + Democracy is sometimes promising, but I've already unlocked the most important civics (Free Speech & Representation); plus I can't actually found a corporation until getting other techs.

Scientific Method + Biology offers a great food boost, but Scientific Method kills too much that I want to hang on to just a bit longer.

So I go for the triple crown of productivity, Replaceable Parts (lumber mills & + :hammers: for water/windmills) + Steam Power (Levees) + Railroad (extra :hammers: for mines & lumbermills). Going this route first will also stave off the looming unemployment which all my worker units are facing.

Meanwhile, it's time to pad my health & happiness with resources from the new world:

Spoiler :

Bizarre clams without shells that swim through the water! Oh, what wondrous bounty in the new land!

I check the victory screen regularly, and estimate that I can found 3 or 4 cities here without tripping Domination. They aren't needed to be especially productive, just to cover the new resource tiles. Right at this point, I should have gifted Astronomy to both AIs. My trade route income was pretty weak all game long.

Next: Corporate spam and into space

Normally, I put the Ironworks in a low-population city amidst many hills, and use the capital for Oxford or Wall Street:
Spoiler :

Long-term thinking comes naturally when you plan to live 4600 years.

But Cuzco had great productivity and, just as importantly, it had both freshwater and a harbor (I have no intention of giving up coal). In addition, I can switch to Bureacracy during key builds to really ramp up the production.

Within a few turns of researching Corporation, I pop a Great Engineer (the first all game-- what luck!). Mining Inc. is founded. When refrigerationy comes, a Great Merchant is waiting to found Cereal Mills. Everything takes a back seat to spreading the corps as fast as possible:

Spoiler :

Blue chips for sure.

Now comes the payoff for building up production everywhere. All my cities can wait on the "Great Dam" for power (which will come soon enough), and spend their hammers instead on keeping up with newly-available buildings like Hospitals. Population growth and technology advancement are rapid. A couple of Great People have hung around to start Golden Ages, and a brief stint of Bureacracy finishes Three Gorges in surpringly short order:

Spoiler :

The Golden Age of... er... golden ages.

I don't set great store in golden ages during the early game, preferring to derive more permanent, long-term benefits from great people. But in the rush to build spaceship components, one needs lots of production and research, so they serve well.

With the colony vessel under way, it's time to pad the score. Techs count a bit:

Spoiler :

Al Gore is a robot prototype. But you knew that, right?

I skip Computers and Mass Media altogether, as they provide little besides obsolescence.

With ~67% of the land area, I can't risk expanding into new lands. I can, however, boost my population (huge score factor) by squeezing new cities into the foodish areas I already control:

Spoiler :

Fear not, my citizens, your city is defended by a space-age electric crossbow.

Penultimately:

Spoiler :

Look, you can see the Great Wall from space.

And ultimately:

Spoiler :

He certainly looks pleased with himself.

Upon reflection... I should have expanded earlier and built more cottages. On the whole, I did not tech fast enough. But my biggest problem is making good use of the AI players. Sure, I can make war, but once that was done I shunted them aside and pretty much played solo. A bigger map for my next game is probably in order, so somebody will be around to trade techs. Any suggestions or comments would be welcome, of course.

explicit

Cheers,
Jason

P.S. I'll post a link to some saves once the HoF is updated to include my game.

Top Bottom