Problems with Direct IP to multiplayer Civ IV BtS.

Antmanbrooks

Prince
Hello,

I'm having problems setting up a 4 player game of Civ where previously with a 2 or 3 player game there was no problem. The additional player is my GF who shares the same router and Internet connection as me.

Let me explain the background. Me and two friends have been playing Direct IP MP Civ IV BtS (Realism Invictus Mod) for a few years through Hamachi without any major problems.

We can all host games and we can all join games.

Recently my GF decided she wanted to play too, so I installed my copy (old school disks) of Civ IV, Warlords & BtS (patched them to the same versions as we all have) on her seperate PC and loaded up the same version of the RI Mod and tested a Direct IP Game through Hamachi. It worked, we played MP Civ and it was great.

So naturally I assumed the other two guys I normally play with would have no issues joining in either. They also updated their mod and joined the same Hamachi network as me and the GF (I deleted all the old Hamachi networks, including the one we all played 3 player Civ on).

So we all have the same versions of Civ IV, Warlords, BtS and RI and we are on the same network and version of Hamachi. The other two guys are in their own houses and me and the GF are sharing the same Internet connection and router (Technicolor TG582n Tesco BB).

When we come to connect, any two players can connect(including the host) but as soon as a third player tries to connect we get the following message for the connecting player "You were unable to connect to the player 'Mark' This player may not have his firewall environment properly confgured."

The second player (already in the lobby) gets this message "An incoming player has failed to connect to you and is unable to join the game. Please verify that your firewall allows incoming connections for Civilization IV."

I then tried Pitboss and we have the same problem, but interestingly if I host Pitboss on my PC and then load up Civ and connect I can get in but the GF then gets the same message if she connects via Pitboss. Without Pitboss we can Direct IP connect to each other no problem, so it's the additionl third player that seems to be the issue every time?

One of my friends has also tried hosting a Pitboss game and joining, he can join the lobby fine, as soon as I or another player try to join we get the messages as above.

So to summerise I think it's a hamachi issue but I don't know what? Any advice?

It's very strange. Hopefully someone will know something about it?

AS I've stated here http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?653996-Civ4-Steam-version-seems-to-be-limited-to-4-players Gamespy is now interfering with DirectIP games. The online MP players have now moved to hosting LAN games on evolve vpn.

www.evolvehq.com

you are welcome to come to the Civplayers Chat/Party to host LAN games.

https://www.evolvehq.com/groups/civplayers-civ5-league Don't worry about it saying Civ5, I just made this ages ago but it never took off at the time. It's for all Civ playing people. As long as all players are in the same "party" LAN games will show up and can be joined just like they are on your home LAN

CS

Thanks CS. Looks promising. I have installed this for me and GF. The other two will follow suit shortly. When it comes to hosting a game how do you set it up? Is it a case of loading BtS and the Mod and then launching a LAN game whilst having Evolve open in the background?

Thanks CS. Looks promising. I have installed this for me and GF. The other two will follow suit shortly. When it comes to hosting a game how do you set it up? Is it a case of loading BtS and the Mod and then launching a LAN game whilst having Evolve open in the background?

Yes everyone has to be in the same Chat/Party in Evolve, and they you just host/join a LAN game. I haven't tried mods, but the mod system should work the same as it does now in a LAN game.

CS

Thanks CS. This seems to be working well. We've been able to set up our original 3 player game in Direct IP. One of the players can't see any games in LAN though? Not too much hassle though, because we can now play direct IP again using the Evolve IP addresses.

Thanks very much for this. :goodjob:

For me direct IP doesn't work with more than 2 players too.
Inside Evolve it works though, i tried with atleast 4 players, if i can see game in lan, i can join it by direct ip (the ip that is given by evolve)

Novice has developed a solution for the offline GameSpy NatNeg server. Caledorn is hosting a replacement server application that will replace the functionality and allow Direct IP games to resume multiple simultaneous connections.

Instructions are here. Thanks to both Novice and Caledorn for their roles in resolving this problem.

We were trying to make a game with 4 players just now, but it didn't seem to work.
1) Is there a way to know if server is up or not at the moment?
2) Is there by chance a compiled version of the server available for download somewhere?

Trying to play CIV4 through hamachi is yielding the exact same result for me as well..
Both of them can connect to my game if the other does not join, however, if one of them is in the game than the other fails to establish a connection with the other player... We are all on Hamachi and using LAN mode in Civ 4, therefore theoretically what we are witnessing is just not possible unless Hamachi itself is effed out the ass beyond belief.

Edit: I would like to add that my brother and I are on the same network in the US while my GF is in England.

Hyzoran you need to try other third player. Maybe it's not that they can't connect to each other but that third player can't join. Also if one of them is the host, same stuff?

I could not find a place to just post a question gere. I am really new to Civ. I have got to a place where I have an aircraft and I can't make it move. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I could not find a place to just post a question gere. I am really new to Civ. I have got to a place where I have an aircraft and I can't make it move. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The place you are looking to post is the quick Answers / 'newbie Questions thread stickied at the main discussion page here is your link
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=134903

here is the OP
Civilization IV: Quick Answers​

Hi everyone!

In this thread, feel free to ask basic questions about Civilization IV. This should make it easier for you guys to get answers quicker, and it should also separate discussion threads from more basic questions. With time, this will make it possible for us to put together an official Civilization IV FAQ article as well. If you aren't in a rush to post any questions, make sure to read through the available information, which is likely to answer a lot of questions itself.

Just post your questions here without worrying about if it's already covered somewhere else, and hopefully some of the experts will answer them.

I encourage everyone to participate here, answering questions they can. Thanks!

Some of the best CivIV players answer questions here paying back all the great advice the received in turn.
Searching this thread will probably give you an answer as there have been thousands of expertly answered questions there.

For aircraft you usually select one of four missions:
First select your aircraft, then select your mission
  • Recon or Air Strike and then select the missions target from the now highlighted range squares with a right click.
  • Interception (defense) mission happens where your plane is currently based
  • Rebasing is the move mission for planes. You right click or Go-To a city or carrier within your planes range (only fighter and jet fighter aircraft can Rebase onto Carriers)

If you need more info on Air combat there is a great article in the Strategy and tactics forum reference sub forum

Welcome to CivFanatics [party] :band: :cheers: [party]

Top Bottom