Q&A with Ed Beach at civforum.de

I say bring back the Zulu or the Zimbabwe culture perhaps..

I second that. The Zulu have been a long standing tradition in the Civ series, they were present in all the previous incarnations of Civ. Sub-Saharan Africa deserves some representation. (other than Cape Town)

The problem with putting the Zulu in G&K is that they are the quintecential warmongers. Well, there is already the Huns in G&K. You don't want Huns and Zulu: Huns 2 Electric Boogaloo right in the same expansion. How are you going to install another warmonger and make them with a substantially different playstyle from the Huns?

It's better to save the Zulu for a DLC.

The problem with putting the Zulu in G&K is that they are the quintecential warmongers. Well, there is already the Huns in G&K. You don't want Huns and Zulu: Huns 2 Electric Boogaloo right in the same expansion. How are you going to install another warmonger and make them with a substantially different playstyle from the Huns?

It's better to save the Zulu for a DLC.

Could still go for the Zimbabwe-culture, although it might be difficult to fill it out as a Civ. Both rulers and towns are rather uncertain. Zulus are the only well-known Sub-Saharan culture really.. Just like Americans, they are fairly recent though.

I doubt Zulu will be in,since only 2 from the 8 Civilizations already revealed have their first time as a playable Civ in Civ series(Huns and Austria) . About Zimbabwe,their problem is the fact that their history is too short and they would be seem as a alternative version of Zulu,specially if they have a Warmonger style .

But there was no imperial era. It was part Enlightenment, part Industrial and even part modern

I think the "Imperial" era is usually thought of as the New Imperialism period. I'm not sure what date to pick. Obviously, the Berlin Conference was the most significant event, but I've seen 1830 to 1914 before (starting with the French conquest of Algeria). I think the end of the Franco-Prussian War could be another possible starting point.

The period 1874-1914 is often called the Age of Empire.

About Zimbabwe,their problem is the fact that their history is too short and they would be seem as a alternative version of Zulu,specially if they have a Warmonger style .

Zimbabwe has a much longer history than the Zulu, so that's not true. Just not enough is known about them so it'd be difficult to represent them.

I don't really get the whole "there's already too many aggressive civilizations, so it can't be Zulu" idea. With war being such a huge part of the game, and with there being 34 civilizations, there is room for several warmongers, and there are various ways to represent them in the game as well.

I doubt Zulu will be in,since only 2 from the 8 Civilizations already revealed have their first time as a playable Civ in Civ series(Huns and Austria) . About Zimbabwe,their problem is the fact that their history is too short and they would be seem as a alternative version of Zulu,specially if they have a Warmonger style .

Comparing the Zulu to Zimbabwe does not equate. Zimbabwe has a much richer history than the Zulu and can offer several new aspects to the game. I don't get the Zulu comparison to be honest much worthier than Zulu by several leagues (architechture, war, AGE, etc.).

I've read more about history of Zimbabwe . They seem to be a good civ to replace Zulu as a representant of Southern Africa . I'd like to know which leader and which UA they would have,since I couldn't find any suggestion of them in threads dedicated to compile suggestions of Civilizations .

I've read more about history of Zimbabwe . They seem to be a good civ to replace Zulu as a representant of Southern Africa . I'd like to know which leader and which UA they would have,since I couldn't find any suggestion of them in threads dedicated to compile suggestions of Civilizations .

I need the Zulus for a Zulu Wars scenario. The Zulus are going to be represented, too many civ gamers are used to having them. We always had big wars in civ versus the Zulus. They were a civ you loved to hate. Maybe we don't need a warmonger, but I would love to see them add the Zulu. Zimbabwe to replace the Zulus, I am not sure if that would work.

I spoke too soon perhaps it would. Its that people know who they Zulus much more than they do about the Rozwi Empire, but anyway.

About the Rozwi chiefs..."Records from the Portuguese have shown that the Rozvi were expert military strategists. They were noted as using the cow-horn formation years before the great Zulu leader Shaka did in the 19th century. With spears, bows, and arrows, the aggressive Rozvi took over the plateau. The rozvi leader was called Changamire this attribute to the victory of the rozvi over the Portuguese who named him boss a in Portuguese MIRE. They were from the Mutapa Empire."

They would have an impi type unit.

I guess the Zimbabwe-culture would be more appropriate than Zulus really, although it would have to encompass a "Southern African mashup", as too little is known specifically about that culture, i.e. finding some personal name for a likely ruler and including names of archaeological sites (like Mapungubwe) rather than actual city names. It could still work though.. E.g. the Vikings are quite mashed up themselves, albeit not to that degree.

Oh, just so you nkow, the Great War units aren't part of the new Era at all.

They will be industrial, the question is what the current industrial units will be part of.

Top Bottom