Quest Completion and Failure

MadmanAtW

Knight
It turns out, if you both meet the success and failure condition for a quest simultaneously, you fail the quest.
Also, quests appear to only be checked at the end of the turn.

For instance, from my last game:
I got the "Build libraries!" quest. It wanted me to build 7 libraries before Ren era. I already HAD 7 libraries. I was also 1 turn from Education.

Hitting "end turn" I immediately failed the quest for finishing Education, which advances you to the Ren era.
Reloading and switching to another tech for 1 turn caused me to successfully complete the quest because I already had the 7 libraries.
Either way I had to wait until end of turn for the check to complete the quest.

I guess my complaint is that I had completed the quest before the Ren era, so I was a touch annoyed that I didn't receive credit. I guess I can see it going either way when you actually build the 7th library at the same time as finishing the tech.

Is it possible to reverse the order of these checks, and if so, do people think it should be done, or do they not really care? :)

Related to this is the failure of quests when you fulfill the uqest in the same moment you kill the target civ. I'm talking specifically of the Greed and the Crusade quests : if you fulfill the quest at the same time you kill the oponent, the quest will register it as a failure ( for example, if you let the holy city of the crusade quest to be last one to be conquered ). I never faced it myself, but I've seen complains about this since BtS got out ..... and i'm pretty sure it could become tricky to solve.

It may be. I'm realizing I was wrong about one thing in my initial post, which is my assertion that the completion/failure check was between turns- I'm pretty sure that if I had traded for Education I would have failed the quest mid-turn. The completion check for that quest might be between-turn (that's the only time you can really acquire a library- I wonder what would have happened for the Stables quest if you conquer the last one you need? That's the only building from a quest I can think of that is conquerable, the rest provide culture), but that means it wouldn't be as simple as reversing the order of two checks that only happen at the same time anyway, as emphasized by the Greed/Crusade quest example.

Top Bottom