Rebalanced Religions(For FF)

Onionsoilder

Reaver
Man, FF's code is a messier then vanilla FfH2... Took me longer than expected to port this over. Anyway, I hereby present, Rebalanced Religions(For FF)!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not all religions are created equal. This is very apparent in FFH2, where some religions are just better then others, regardless of your playstyle. This is my own little attempt to remedy that. Right now it's in it's very, very early stages. I haven't played a full game with this yet so there may be some bugs, though I've done my best to eliminate all of them.

Download Here

Changes:
Roads, Farms, Mines, Cottages, Plantations, Quarries, Pastures and Wineries can be built in forests by Fawns and Satyrs. This makes Fellowship of Leaves a viable religion for non-elven civilizations. Fawns work slower then Workers, so Elves still have the advantage of building improvements faster and earlier. Satyrs build slightly faster then Workers, so the penalty for other civilizations isn't permanent.

New Economic civic added Enlightened Unison for Empyrean only. This is an attempt to give the Empyrean some more economic-boosting potential. The civic reduces maintenance costs in all cities and increases the :commerce: output of hamlets, villages and towns. In addition, it increases :gp: by 50%. This comes at a cost: a +100% War Weariness penalty. Not for aggressive Chalid abusers!

Council of Esus units now have a number of 'miracles' that can give powerful promotions to the unit - for a price. These promotions are only temporary, and meant to get your units out of sticky situations. They are:
Evade Death: Removed Disease, Withered and Poisoned from the unit. Adds the Regeneration and Cheat Death promotions to the unit, but is pricey. However, being able to save that valuable hero is worth it. Wears off after the unit is fully healed. Note: This spell does not resurrect units, it only stops them from dying.
Flee the Scene: This miracle adds 2 movement, but reduces combat strength by 50%. Wears off after one turn.
Sway the Odds: This miracle increases combat strength by 50% and adds 2 first strikes to the unit. Wears off after combat.
Shadowscry: This miracle allows caster units to cast a second spell. Theoretically you can cast an infinite number of spells with this, as long as you have infinite gold.

The AI can not use Evade Death and Flee the Scene, because they don't seem smart enough to use these abilities intelligently. Then again, when has the AI ever used any religious abilities intelligently...

Planned for the Future:
Add a new Empyrean hero that functions as a governor. He will have little or no combat abilities, but can greatly enhance one of your cities.
Add a new Council of Esus hero that functions as a spy or assassin.
Add a new civic for Octopus Overlords
Add more miracles for Council of Esus units
Make subsequent castings of Shadowscry cost more; IE. first costs 80 gold, second costs 120, third costs 160 etc.

One download? That's it? Based on the amount of discussion of this topic I figured some people would at least try it... but I digress...

I was playing a game with this to hopefully completely debug this and I seem to have run into a problem. Fawns/Satyrs can build improvements on forests, but priests of leaves still can't bloom new forests onto existing improvements... I spent about 20 minutes messing around with the code and I can't find a way to change this. Any of the more veteran coders have an idea? There is no line expressly forbidding casting blood on improvements, it just doesn't work...

Personally, I am waiting for FF to officially be patched up to FfH 2 0.41a before I try out the new modmods.

Personally, again, I am not a big fan of the FoL changes you made. It makes the religion far overpowered IMO. If only the forest improvements somehow disappeared upon switching out of FoL...

Fawns/Satyrs can build improvements on forests, but priests of leaves still can't bloom new forests onto existing improvements... I spent about 20 minutes messing around with the code and I can't find a way to change this. Any of the more veteran coders have an idea? There is no line expressly forbidding casting blood on improvements, it just doesn't work...
You could write the Spell Requirement and Effect in Python (rather than using a createfeaturetype tag). You could even make it so that Priests can only bloom if your State Religion is FOL.

Hey Onion,

I like the Esus "miracles". the spy/assassin you are planning on adding, will it be able to disrupt the enemy pelemoc style (of course not exactly the same as pelemoc, who is my fave hero btw).

If only the forest improvements somehow disappeared upon switching out of FoL...

Hmm... I see your point, but it would be much harder to code that then the way it is now... Besides, it's not as if Mines disappears when you switch out of RoK(as with any other religious wonder), and with the investment required(building several Fawns and Priest of Leaves, only to lose them when you switch) almost makes it worthwhile.

If I could figure out some other way, I would probably do it... but not having this makes FoL very, very weak for non-elven civilizations. If it was restricted to elves that would be one thing, but since it's usually founded so early and spreads so much...

Sephi said:
You could write the Spell Requirement and Effect in Python (rather than using a createfeaturetype tag). You could even make it so that Priests can only bloom if your State Religion is FOL.
Yeah, that might work... and I was playing along in my game I noticed Priests can't even bloom a normally forest-acceptable improvement like a Camp. I'm horrible at Python though, so either someone else will have to help me with this or we'll be waiting a long, long time to bloom improvements.
And thanks for the input everyone. It is one thing to make something that isn't very popular, but to make something have have no interest at all... it's very disheartening. Anything you have for making this better is welcomed, be it help coding, art or just ideas.

EDIT: I just realized something... Fawns don't abandon you when you switch religions. For some reason I thought they did... but Fawns can built forest improvements after you switch out of FoL. It seems that this whole fawn building thing is more then I bargained for. I might undo the whole thing next version, it's causing several balancing problems and possible bugs. I could make them abandon, yeah, but that would just make the whole mess worse and possibly cause more problems...

Use my unofficial patch. It works just fine :)

FFH 0.41 is playable with FF, using it.

This is the best option I think at the moment - might be a week or two before we get the modular XML loading fixed (Xienwolf has done a lot of work on getting Modules to work right, including self referencing files and proper indexing - but at the moment it's causing a problem with loading save games).

There's also a big bit of content that I want to implement that the DLL framework is now in place for (Xienwolf has been busy :D) and I think it's very much worth it. Then it's just a case of picking up tweaks and artwork from FfH041 that we want, but what WarKirby has done makes that so much easier :goodjob:

Top Bottom