King Phaedron

Warlord
Yes, really. Now that we know what the Era actually is, might as well represent it correctly.
Got any questions? Read the news, or rather watch Youtube channels that cover real news. (Can't expect Media to tell you Jack about Jill.)

Instead of Future Era, lets make an Era where everything just breaks down and keeps going wrong. Cities begin to starve, riots and revolts take place everywhere. Gold rapidly fluctuates. An entire era, where, due to big shots with unacceptable agendas and ludicrously poor management, everything just keeps worse.

The Strategy for this era is simple: IF YOU HAVEN'T WON THE GAME YET, WIN THE FREAKIN GAME. LOL

Other stuff to add in Apocalypse Era:

Solar Flares periodicly knocking out power.
Increased Speed for Spy operations

Mostly starving cities losing population, random partisans rising up anywhere, theft of gold reserves,

As opposed to nearly every era until now, where things broke down and kept going wrong, where starvation was (far) more the norm than today, and revolts even more common. The fluctuation of gold has nothing to do with whether an age is good or bad, and ludicrously poor management by bigshot with an agenda is world history in a nutshell.

Yes, things have gotten a bit worse in some ways than they were X years ago (but no one can even agree on how many years X is), but this is entirely ridiculous.

Theft of gold reserves, in case you haven't noticed, would have no importance to anybody: the last country to use a Gold Standard for its currency was the USA, which abandoned it in 1971.

For anybody using YooHooTube as their major source for news, I'm sure the world is going to pieces all the time: and yet, every morning you wake up and the old disaster never happened and a new disaster is being touted by the same YahooTubers to the same gullible RubeTubers.

People find ways to make things keep working. They do that even when the Empire falls, the Black Plague hits, the Mongols thunder through the city gates, the king's head falls into the basket, and the Lights Go Out All Over Europe. It's what people do, and if the nay-sayers of negativity are running around like chickens screaming that the sky is falling, they can be made to serve a purpose by using their carcasses to caulk the seams in the Ark.

Not super relevant to this thread, there is a game due to release soon that has an interesting take on eras in which the person to first tech into it can tech into variations of eras based on actions they've taken, warping the entire game.

Millenia (the name of the game) for example allows you to tech into the "Age of Heroes" instead of the "Age of Bronze" by discovering a certain number of landmarks, and when doing so you give each player a hero who can go on quests; alternatively killing a number of other player units allows you to tech into the "Age of Blood" where all civs auto declare war on each other, throwing the whole world into a crisis.

Not sure what peoples feelings are like on how a 'varied' take on eras which allow for these apocalyptic eras is, taking control out of the players hands can suck in large scale games, but I really like the idea. Civ should certainly seek to create dynamics by which actions of others passively impact your own civ (a large expansionist empire for example may push nomads in your direction, like how the successful defence of the Xiongnu likely led to the Hun invasions into Europe (someone more knowledgeable may correct me here if I'm wrong)). You can kiiiinda do this in Civ 6, if you have all highland tiles you can intentionally warm up the world to flood your opponents I guess (I've never tried), would be nice to see more of it.

I am partial to the "Social Media" technology which, when you look at its effects in the tech tree, it says it offers bonuses to happiness, stability, science and culture, and has an inspiring optimistic tech quote about global village, but actually after researching it introduces exponentially more negative effects in all those aspects

(it also provides bonus espionage visibility of democratic countries for the authoritarian countries, and generates authoritarianism)
(5% chance every turn fur un-researching Vaccination technology, requiring you to re-research it again)

Top Bottom