Resource bubbles and Yield Icons...on or off?

PPQ_Purple

Purple Cube
Am I the only one who keeps the resource and yield icons turned off? They are just ugly to me.

I usually keep yield icons off. I used to keep resource icons off as well, but eventually got used to them.

Def keep yield icons on, and usually the bubbles as well but I flip them on an off quite a bit.

I always have bubbles on (heck, I even have F4 on Info, F5 on Combat type and F9 on "wonders" page - has to be that way unless checking something for moment). Same time yields on mostly just for moments when I'm checking off-shore for potential "Ocean-crossing".

yields always on.

Sometimes I will shut off resource bubbles when using Military Units bubbles instead to keep track of enemy units crossing borders because the UI is apparently terrible at warning me there is a 2-mover about to take an empty/warrior defended city. But then i just flip it back to Resources once I'm satisfied.

Watching the AI play only, I will flip between Domestics and Resources, sometimes turning everything off to look at stacks as bubbles can then jumble things up when you're looking at everything on the map through Ctrl-Z and lots of EP for vision.

The tile graphics for resources are not very outstanding in appearance so I almost never turn Resource bubbles off unless doing something specific.

I only recently started playing with yields off (it's pretty consistent of course, and terrain and improvement usually speaks for itself, and when micromanaging cities, it's shown in the city screen anyway), though I keep resource bubbles on for most of the game. They can be pretty annoying when a resource lies 1S of a city and the bubble blocks the population and building tab, but like ArchGhost said, the resources don't stand out conspicuously without them and knowing the location of resources is vital early on in the game when planning settlement or conquest. I find that that's less important later in the game and so sometimes I turn them off for map clarity at a time when the info gets pretty dense.

I play with both on. As others have said, I couldn't easily and accurately see all of the resources without the bubbles.

And playing with yields on can reveal where the AI has e.g. iron before you've discovered IW yourself (or BW for copper). I would never play without it. Resource bubbles I might turn off briefly if they're blocking the city bar and it's too annoying/tricky to get the angle right by moving the map around. Otherwise, I have them on.

Last edited:
Both on. Sometimes certain resources (Rice in particular) don't display properly and I didn't figure out how to install a graphics mod alongside BUFFY.

Honestly I just find them immersion breaking. Like, I know I am playing a game but having them on just shouts that in my face. It's kind of like if counterstrike or what ever shooter the kids are playing these days were to suddenly have damage numbers pop up when you shoot your enemy in orange font 24 comic sans. Plus like, I know the game well enough already that I can guess the yields by heart...

were to suddenly have damage numbers pop up when you shoot your enemy in orange font 24 comic sans.
I love this feature in Team Fortress 2. It is the only way to know if I hit my opponent and to know exactly know how much damage I am dealing and thus how much health my opponent has left (as a maximum).

I love this feature in Team Fortress 2. It is the only way to know if I hit my opponent and to know exactly know how much damage I am dealing and thus how much health my opponent has left (as a maximum).
Sure but like it works in TF2 because TF2 has a very specific comical tone to it. Imagine it happening in a more serious game.

Top Bottom