Restrictions on Citadels in BNW?

Carl5872

Prince
So I tried to plant a Citadel in Portugal's land to swipe their truffles last night. For some reason it wouldn't let me plant it on their forested truffle tile, and their forested hill. I then moved it to their plains, and the option to build it there exist. All three of the above tiles were adjacent to my current land.

Does anyone know of the restrictions for these?

I was under the impression they could be built on any land tile next to or in your cultural boarders (except cities)

Probably good that you didn't build on the Truffles. A Citadel can connect strategic resources (i.e. iron, coal, etc.) but not Luxuries. It is better to plant the Citadel on a tile adjacent to a Luxury so that you can benefit from it.

Probably good that you didn't build on the Truffles. A Citadel can connect strategic resources (i.e. iron, coal, etc.) but not Luxuries. It is better to plant the Citadel on a tile adjacent to a Luxury so that you can benefit from it.

If he was using the Citadel to only steal work nothing stops him from bulldozing the tile and building a Camp there.

It wasn't so much that I necessarily wanted the citadel there, its just that i didn't have the option to build it there.

Were you at war?

I've never tried to build a Citadel inside enemy territory except when at war, so I don't know if that's a limiting factor.

Were you at war?

I've never tried to build a Citadel inside enemy territory except when at war, so I don't know if that's a limiting factor.

No. It was after a war. I tried building it both during the mandatory peace agreement and once it ended too, both with no results.

I always thought you couldn't build a citadel in someone else's territory. Just inside your territory and in unclaimed territory adjacent to your territory.

Nope you can steal land with it. You do suffer a diplo hit for doing so though.

Yes, I realize that. But you have to build the Citadel itself inside your territory, which in turn steals all the territory around it. I don't think you've ever been able to build the Citadel itself inside an opposing Civ's territory, even if that territory was adjacent to your own.

Yes, I realize that. But you have to build the Citadel itself inside your territory, which in turn steals all the territory around it. I don't think you've ever been able to build the Citadel itself inside an opposing Civ's territory, even if that territory was adjacent to your own.

You may use them outside your territory. The only rule is they have to be adjacent to your land. And yes, I do not think you can ever use them inside another civs territory. Which means that is why the OP is having an issue.

Problem solved.

You may use them outside your territory. The only rule is they have to be adjacent to your land. And yes, I do not think you can ever use them inside another civs territory. Which means that is why the OP is having an issue.

Problem solved.

But I was able to plant it in enemy territory on an unimproved plains. I think you may just not be able to plant them in enemy territory that has forests.

I was under the impression they could be built on any land tile next to or in your cultural boarders (except cities)

That's correct. Could it somehow have something to do with the forests? Did you somehow get a Great General before researching Mining?

That's correct. Could it somehow have something to do with the forests? Did you somehow get a Great General before researching Mining?
No it was around the great war era, so I think that any terrain restrictions should have been lifted by then.

You can plant in enemy territory that is adjacent to your culture borders, as long as a peace treaty is not in effect and as long as you have the tech to clear any terrain features (forests, marsh, etc.). I have to believe you had mining at that point in the game, but not having the tech to clear a tile (mining, in the case of forests) is one impediment to planting a GP on a particular tile (e.g., if you don't have masonry, you can't plant any GP on a marsh tile).

Do you have an autosave file from before you tried to plant the GG?

You can plant in enemy territory that is adjacent to your culture borders, as long as a peace treaty is not in effect and as long as you have the tech to clear any terrain features (forests, marsh, etc.). I have to believe you had mining at that point in the game, but not having the tech to clear a tile (mining, in the case of forests) is one impediment to planting a GP on a particular tile (e.g., if you don't have masonry, you can't plant any GP on a marsh tile).

Do you have an autosave file from before you tried to plant the GG?

I probably have an auto save, but I don't know how to load them here.

Go to the Advanced reply screen. Below the message text box is a Manage Attachments button. Pretty intuitive from there. If your autosave is too big to be uploaded, you can zip the file and upload the zip (upload size limits are higher for compressed files).

Top Bottom