RFC V. 1.187 Roman UHV??

delta-green

Chieftain
Hello there, my first thread, i'm desperate. Although i got a lot of civs with the 3/3 UHV, but for the romans, i don't know how this should be possible... I didn't find no threads concerning strategies for the new RFC version. I also find that the mission was impossible for the initial rfc version, but, ok, i often thought victory was hard.
Has anyone done this?? could anyone propose a way to win on this latest version..
:scan:

Problem is time needed for the techs to build barracks, amphis and theaters.. Is it better for techpoints to not have much cities..? They do cost money, but later produce techpoints...Wich option is the better one?

I've recently done it on monarch.

Goals are
1. 3 cities in Gaul, 2 in Spain, 2 in North Africa, 1 in England
2. 5 Barracks, Aquaeducts and Amphitheatres.
3. Survive till 1400 without losing a city to barbs.

Goal No. 3 basically means you need a Great Wall before 200 AD-ish. So you discover Mathematics and Construction ASAP which also allow you to build the buildings you need. Don't go for any other wonders, you need the hammers for praetorians and the buildings. I trade for the other techs I need (like Agriculture or Monarchy) with Egyptians and Babylonians, so after Construction the only thing I need is Calender to keep track of how much time I have - but that's luxury. :)

Goal No. 1 means you need a couple of settlers.

Gaul/France sorts itself out as 3 cities appear there with almost no defense. Don't send your settlers there, it would be a waste. In North Africa, you can conquer Carthage plus 1 city. So you need 2 in Spain and 1 in England. You start with 3.

I usually found Antium instead of Rome, 1 to the south. So I don't need Pompeji and have 2 settlers to send to Spain right away. They build cities near food resources and use whip a lot - they'll easily get the 3 buildings you need until the end of the game. So I only have to build 1 Settler and send him to England.

I don't attack Carthage straight away because they usually have a large army sitting there. Instead I use my starting 4 Praetorians to conquer Athens. Athens is great for production, I can build the great wall, barracks, aquaeduct, amphitheatre there and then start churning out galleys and praetorians. After conquest of Greece I sometimes sack Byzantium or Sur to get the money to keep my science rate towards construction high. Then I send the Praetorians to conquer gaul.

When Gaul is conquered and the Great Wall is built, I send all my army units (gaul cities are unproductive and don't need any garrison either, nobody is going to conquer them when Celts have disappeared) south to antium. When I have 6-8 Praetorians, I storm Carthage, which is not too hard.

Mediolanum and Antium also easily manage to get the necessary buildings built/whipped. :)

Remember to build a trireme somewhen to combat the barbarian pirates in the med.

Hi,

This thread still shows when you search for a solution to the Roman UHV, so I'm leaving a video series I made showing how to achieve it (monarch difficulty) here:

Link to video.

I did something different to the previous post, destroying Carthage immediately and the re-settling the African cities. I find it easier than dealing with all of the Carthaginian army.

Top Bottom