'Rising Tide' expansion for Civilization: Beyond Earth announced

Camikaze

Administrator
Administrator
'Rising Tide', described as the 'first expansion for Civilization: Beyond Earth', has been announced.

From the official announcement:
After the first wave of great colony ships departed Earth, the jubilation of humanity was short-lived. Those left behind fell into a violent struggle over the quickly-diminishing resources on their barren home world. From this tumultuous time, four new factions arose. These newcomers were grounded not in the idealism of their predecessors, but on opportunism, resilience, ruthlessness, and above all a commitment to their own survival.

Now, many decades after their first landfall on a new planet, the proud survivors of the first expeditions beyond Earth look up to see the skies darkened by a new breed of pioneers.

Beyond Earth extended the Civilization franchise from its historical setting into the possible futures of science fiction. Rising Tide extends Beyond Earth to new frontiers on the planet’s surface and beneath its seas, adding even more choices and diplomatic options as you continue to build “just one more turn” toward a new vision for the future of humanity.

FEATURES

• Colonize the Ocean: Build floating settlements and access natural resources hidden beneath the seas of the alien planet. Alien beasts with unique abilities inhabit the water and challenge the player in new ways. The ocean provides a fully replayable map, new gameplay mechanics and strategic possibilities for players to reign supreme on their new world.
  • Dynamic Leader Traits: Players and AI Leaders alike unlock new Traits through gameplay and activate different combinations to respond to the changing world. These dynamic sets of Traits also provide benefits and add to the new Diplomacy system, governed by the new Fear and Respect attributes.
  • New, Enhanced Diplomatic Options: Shape the diplomatic landscape by using political capital to upgrade your traits, change diplomatic relationships, and leverage the benefits of your allies’ traits.
  • New Sponsors: Four new factions have been added to the game including Al Falah, nomad explorers descended from wealthy and resilient Middle Eastern states that possess a rich cultural and commercial heritage.
  • New Artifact System: Collect and combine powerful relics to unlock new perks, unit upgrades, and buildings for your faction on the new world.
  • New Hybrid Units: Affinities are competing visions for the future of humanity. By investing in multiple Affinities, rather than specializing in just one, players can unlock special hybrid Affinity units and upgrades.
  • New Biomes: Two new world types have been added. Primordial worlds are rife in volcanic activity and the chaotic landscape of a world still forming. Frigid worlds have cooled in their great age, their surfaces covered with icy oceans and frozen tundra.

Gamespot article >>> http://www.gamespot.com/articles/colonize-the-ocean-in-civilization-beyond-earth-s-/1100-6427385/

PCGamer article >>> http://www.pcgamer.com/civilization-beyond-earth-rising-tide-expansion-announced/

Hope this is not seen as impolite, and congrats for whoever likes beyond earth but: Maybe if they actually fixed the broken MP I would care. Give us a resynch option at the very least.

Cmon Firaxis I know you can do better.

Just got back into this game over the weekend after not playing it for months. I was happy to see the completely broken trade routes were fixed. I haven't found the gaping balance hole yet (although it's probably out there), which has my interest piqued. I do feel this game has almost no diplomacy which is disappointing. And I find the game stale compared to Civ. Simply stated, I prefer the cultural history to science fiction. In short, I'd rather see another Civ expansion; one that finally brings us balance and end game features like corporations.

Interested in seeing other opinions - is coming back to beyond earth a waste of time? Is it fairly balanced now?

Lastly, I think it's fair to say if you're not giving us AI updates don't bother... I dream of the comp playing smarter and not just with more resources.

I feel conflicted. In one hand, I badly want BE to be good, for I love the concept and the setting. In the other hand, I 've rarely felt so scammed after buying a game and I hate the fact that I have to pay 3 times in order to get a properly complete game. Ugh.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
FINALLY MIDDLE EAST PEOPLE CAN GO TO SPACE!! (I am not from Middle east nor having any positive & negative view about them)

"New Hybrid Units: Affinities are competing visions for the future of humanity. By investing in multiple Affinities, rather than specializing in just one, players can unlock special hybrid Affinity units and upgrades.
New Biomes: Two new world types have been added. Primordial worlds are rife in volcanic activity and the chaotic landscape of a world still forming. Frigid worlds have cooled in their great age, their surfaces covered with icy oceans and frozen tundra.

Dynamic Leader Traits: Players and AI Leaders alike unlock new Traits through gameplay and activate different combinations to respond to the changing world. These dynamic sets of Traits also provide benefits and add to the new Diplomacy system, governed by the new Fear and Respect attributes."
I interest in those. I wonder how the hybrid affinity will work. And dayum, I really hope to see nature with cybernatic punk and of course normal people with cybernatic things.

EDIT: That middle eastern faction has a woman leader too! Wow!

Fixing the broken diplomacy should have been a patch, not something you sell for 20 bucks!

The diplomacy needed a lot more than can be done in just a patch. Frankly, I think it is better that they are completely removing civ5's diplo and giving us a new diplo system from scratch rather than just trying to literally "patch up" the existing broken civ5 diplo.

I believe there is a patch coming out for vanilla BE. Will a diplomacy fix be included, not sure yet.
I do like that they have committed themselves to accompany the expansion with a big patch. It kind of sounds like a rather fair approach: new content/assets/art/etc cost money, so charging for these new bits is fine, while trying to use some of this(expected) income to improve the base game.

It's a bit reminiscent of Paradox's way of handling DLC (quality of life and underlying mechanics get patched into the base game, new mechanics, art etc are paid) and that has been very successful and been seen as fair.

Civ:BE was a bit of a disappointment, but much like with Civ5 on launch, Firaxis does not give up on their games, got to give them that.

Looking forward to the expansion, especially as it seems they are doing water cities the right way: not just land cities on water like SMAC, but with unique resources, underwater tiles and all that. Reminds me of Call to Power, that game got underwater gameplay right.

I still don't get, why not each world has different alien types. Each planet has the same, which made the game less interesting.

Top Bottom