Sea Resouces / Work Boats !

They are expensive to develope but they are quite good, especially if you get the Godess of the Sea pantheon.

Well, compared to land resources, they're not nearly as convenient what with work boats being a one-pop deal. But dang do they really put out when you have the right resources. A lighthouse and harbor will certainly make them purdy darn sweet and worth the work boats. My only qualm is that they're hard to work early since barbarian galleys are all over the place, but once they're cleared out from your lands, I really don't defend my sea resources much considering the AI just doesn't seem interested in them for some reason. Maybe I've just been lucky.

There isn't any excuse to not develop sea resources. Fish, Crab, Whales, Pearls all grant some nice bonuses and if you have several around a coastal city, it makes harbors and seaports all the more viable. Lighthouses are one of buildings to prioritize if you're going to found a coastal city. Besides, work boats are not production heavy units and are definitely spending a few turns or gold to build.

Sea resources aren't that bad if you're comparing them to land resources. They are simply different and equally so, they're very beneficial when improved. That said, I typically ignore them unless I need them immediately. They're not a priority for me unless I need the extra food/gold/happiness from them right away so I sometimes wait a while before I get a workboat out to grab them.

What about sea resources makes them 'awful' as you say? I can't picture why they would not ever be worth developing.

I guess I was thinking more about when you start the game , If you end up with 3 sea resources as your happy luxuries to start on you are in for a long slog ...
You will need to spend more production to develop them and then after that not have a worker and if it does get taken out then you will need to spend more to fix it rather than just send a worker in .
For me its almost always a do over if I have sea lux as a start

I guess I was thinking more about when you start the game , If you end up with 3 sea resources as your happy luxuries to start on you are in for a long slog ...
You will need to spend more production to develop them and then after that not have a worker and if it does get taken out then you will need to spend more to fix it rather than just send a worker in .
For me its almost always a do over if I have sea lux as a start

On the other hand they are the only food/lux resource that can be improved by spending cash rather than production.

Whether you sufficient cash that early in the game is another issue ofc... ;)

On the other hand they are the only food/lux resource that can be improved by spending cash rather than production.

Whether you sufficient cash that early in the game is another issue ofc... ;)

Used to be you could build all your work boats in a few turns, buy first one get crabs, sell crabs, buy second get whales, sell whales, buy 3rd get next set of crabs and keep them, 3 luxuries in 3 turns, can't do that with a worker. You can't do that anymore with the new gold dynamics, which is kind of good.

I find that the barbs rarely pillage my work boats for some reason, but if they do it pisses me off, so much work to get them back compared to the land based stuff.

I rarely build work boats for fish until later in the game.

In Vanilla and G&K; the main problem with sea resources is it takes so many more turns to hook them all up. It's somewhat less of a problem with BNW and lighthouse now giving the production bonus instead of Harbor, but still somewhat slower than a land resource start.
(In G&K I have a few 1 city NC games with the regular library due to this. I've still won with it, but science was somewhat less early in those games.)

Now that I've gone through this again and saw my post about a harbor, I'm rethinking. If you already have a trade network via roads, is a harbor really worth giving 1 extra production to resources when it costs three gpt to maintain? I suppose you'd need more than just two resources (which I never seem to have more than) in your coastal cities for them to pan out. As a new player, I'm starting to think fish (or whatever they're called) or not so great as I thought they'd be. Maybe if I had some whales or crabs, I'd be singing a different tune?

Now that I've gone through this again and saw my post about a harbor, I'm rethinking. If you already have a trade network via roads, is a harbor really worth giving 1 extra production to resources when it costs three gpt to maintain? I suppose you'd need more than just two resources (which I never seem to have more than) in your coastal cities for them to pan out. As a new player, I'm starting to think fish (or whatever they're called) or not so great as I thought they'd be. Maybe if I had some whales or crabs, I'd be singing a different tune?

Harbor is pre-req for Seaport. The seaport adds gold to resource tiles. Meaning you will want a harbor completed in every city before Navigation in the cities in which you intend to build Seaports.

In Vanilla and G&K: Harbor is right below Colosum and on one side or the other of workshop if there's already a connection depending upon # of resources.
For BNW, unless its intended as a trade route city, it can wait until shortly before your ready for the Seaport.

Nah, you just gotta get to optics for the lighthouse now. Don't worry about the work boats until compass unless they are luxuries, and focus on more important stuff. A 4 food 1 production tile is exceptional in the meantime. Work boats cost a lot of hammers still, but its not a big deal because the lighthouse-enhanced tiles are great (and while they can blockade, they can't pillage the lighthouse bonus).

Harbor is pre-req for Seaport. The seaport adds gold to resource tiles. Meaning you will want a harbor completed in every city before Navigation in the cities in which you intend to build Seaports.

Mr. Nunn. You've once again managed to help this noob. Thank you for being everywhere. Seaports are dope for my game style (especially since you introduced me to privateers!). Thus, hello harbors!

Nah, you just gotta get to optics for the lighthouse now. Don't worry about the work boats until compass unless they are luxuries, and focus on more important stuff. A 4 food 1 production tile is exceptional in the meantime. Work boats cost a lot of hammers still, but its not a big deal because the lighthouse-enhanced tiles are great (and while they can blockade, they can't pillage the lighthouse bonus).

Agreed; I always have the Lighthouse built before building workboats to fish. In fact work boats to fish wait until I have happiness under control enough to want that city to grow.
(On the rare occasions I've gone Gold of the Sea it's somewhat higher priority. As a note BNW makes it somewhat rarer since if the sea luxury in question was Pearls I'd want Tears of the God instead.)

Top Bottom