SGOTM 20 - The Shawshank Redemption

That would've been a tough one to swallow although you guys had a nice ~10T cushion to play with.

What made this SG complicated for us was the multiple goals and the fastest finish time compression. One the most fundamental challenges of Civ has always been correctly judging the fastest path, usually the earliest necessary unit, to the domination limit (along with the Civ skills to carry it out). What's making it complicated for some teams is slow or late warring leading to more advanced AIs. It's not easy to reach domination pre-lbm.

What made this SG complicated for us was the multiple goals and the fastest finish time compression. One the most fundamental challenges of Civ has always been correctly judging the fastest path, usually the earliest necessary unit, to the domination limit (along with the Civ skills to carry it out). What's making it complicated for some teams is slow or late warring leading to more advanced AIs. It's not easy to reach domination pre-lbm.

I'm not sure what to learn from that comment. Do you suggest I should avoid or include something specific if I create another scenario? I'm open for suggestions any time :)

I'm not sure what to learn from that comment. Do you suggest I should avoid or include something specific if I create another scenario? I'm open for suggestions any time :)
Nope. Just a comment reflecting team performances. Not sure how a map designer goes about it but you managed to build the game so that we could reach the domination limit with HAs which other teams failed to do. Good map design imo creates such challenges. We took the risk of not teching to Guilds or Civil Service and succeeded.

I tried to 'offer' strategies instead of forcing a specific one. The downside is that the games are less comparable. I'm working on 'invisible rails' for the next one ;)

I tried to 'offer' strategies instead of forcing a specific one. The downside is that the games are less comparable. I'm working on 'invisible rails' for the next one ;)
Comparing games is secondary to playing them. A good map design offers lots of options. I prefer more resources rather than fewer for that reason. Your map had tons of resources, creating massive headaches deciding where to settle new cities and where to go with warring. That's good in my book.

I found the links to the final submission and checked your save for goal accomplishment.

Take control of the Religions! - Only you (or your vassals) may own a Holy City. – 4 owned, 2 in colonies, 1 Razed
Bring them together! - Each of your cities has at least two religions. Met There are at least seventy temples in your cities. Each Great Prophet settled in your cities counts as four temples. – Temples = 72, settled Great Prophets = 0
Promote Equality! - You must adopt and stay in Free Religion upon learning Liberalism. – No Liberalism (or Philosophy or Civil Service or Theology)
End the madness! - Each nation can only have one free leader. At least one leader of each nation has to be eliminated or be vassalized." – Free Civs: 1 English, 1 Roman, 1 Russian
Prove that you are a worthy ruler! - You win the game in any way but conquest. – Domination (but you are short of it now) ;) turn 133 450AD

:goodjob:

I doubt it. They use the end game score. Early domination like this would get a 200-300k+ score. The team going for Ap will likely get the wooden spoon.

Our AP victory came in at 242k, IIRC. Still unlikely to beat out dominations at earlier dates, but we'll see how it shakes out with FE and US.

I think roving barbs will be a minor issue, if each barb city on our landmass has 2 defenders.

Barbs per unowned tile: 30
985 MaxTiles - 245 owned = 740 / 30 = 24 barbs (max)*

Barb cities per unowned tile: 740 / 90 = 8 barb cities

* This doesn't even include all the barb owned tiles.

Barb animals per unowned tile: 25; 740/25 = 30 Won't be too many of these anymore either.

This was very insightful and helps explain why the barbs were nerfed. CGU fogbusted the heck out of our map at my insistence. I kept waiting for near raging barbs that never came (thankfully).

Top Bottom