Slower Tech by Era

Gedemon

Modder
Super Moderator
This is a small mod that makes the techs cost to gradually increase with Eras.

It's based of a bit of code by alpaca that I have used in some of my mods for Civ5.

Unzip it to "..\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods"

It should create a folder named "Slower Tech"

Go in "Additional Content" and activate it by checking the box near "Activate Mod" then click "Back" and launch a game.

Attachments

• Slower Tech.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 5,827
Very nice! So if I open the .sql file and adjust all the values, I can effectively change the tech rate - so I can have a Standard game with Marathon tech rates, for example?

Very nice! So if I open the .sql file and adjust all the values, I can effectively change the tech rate - so I can have a Standard game with Marathon tech rates, for example?
you can replace any value, you could even use a 0.5 multiplier to speed up an era.

if you want to change all tech rate at once, you can remove all lines and use a single one like
Code:
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*3;

you can replace any value, you could even use a 0.5 multiplier to speed up an era.

if you want to change all tech rate at once, you can remove all lines and use a single one like
Code:
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*3;
Indeed, it works! How about the cultural tech rate, so to say? :)

Is it possible to actually set the tech time for specific era to almost endless? My goal is to lock the tech progression after classical era.
yes, I can't be sure that it wont break anything, but you just have to test some high values in the sql file.

Indeed, it works! How about the cultural tech rate, so to say? :)

just add some lines like
Code:
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*1.1 WHERE EraType ='ERA_CLASSICAL';

or for a global change
Code:
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*3;

Presumably, the 'Technologies' refers to Technologies.xml, so in that case, 'Civics' - from Civics.xml - should work. Let me test that...

... Ha, while testing, you confirmed what I said. :p

yes, I can't be sure that it wont break anything, but you just have to test some high values in the sql file.

Wow! This is really working! I set the value for "9999" and I got like 88268 turns for all the techs of the specific era. However, the civic tree is not affected. Is it possible to do same code for the civics perhaps ?

Edit: sorry just noticed about the civic tree. I will try that as well. Thanks a lot!

Presumably, the 'Technologies' refers to Technologies.xml, so in that case, 'Civics' - from Civics.xml - should work. Let me test that...

... Ha, while testing, you confirmed what I said. :p
I don't want to turn this thread into a tutorial about modding (you'll find a lot about how to update the database in the civ5 section), but to keep it short civ5 and civ6 use a database that can be modified by mods.

The XML in the game's folder contains the value that will fill tables, "Technologies" and "Civics" are the name of 2 of those tables, and we can then use XML or SQL in mods to update the content of the tables in the database.

SQL is very interesting for us as it allows to change multiple values in tables with a single line.

We can also use tools like SQLite to check if the changes have been loaded by opening DebugGameplay.sqlite in "..\Documents\my games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Cache" (but not to change values, as the database used by the game is cached in memory on load, and DebugGameplay.sqlite is just a copy of it for... debugging)

Wow! This is really working! I set the value for "9999" and I got like 88268 turns for all the techs of the specific era. However, the civic tree is not affected. Is it possible to do same code for the civics perhaps ?
See the posts above, just copy all the lines starting by "UPDATE" and on the copied lines replace "Technologies" by "Civics"

This is a small mod that makes the techs cost to gradually increase with Eras.

It's based of a bit of code by alpaca that I have used in some of my mods for Civ5.

Unzip it to "..\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods"

It should create a folder named "Slower Tech"

Go in "Additional Content" and activate it by checking the box near "Activate Mod" then click "Back" and launch a game.
it wont let me download it :(

Okay I downloaded it ... but the tech cost seems the same ... what game speed is it supposed to be for

It's not tied to a game speed, the mod changes the base cost of techs so your game speed will then multiply off of the values you set.

If you don't edit the rules.sql the mod only changes the tech cost as the era's advance so ancient is normal 1x and it increases with the information age finishing at 3.1x

I tried to block the medieval age techs by adding very high multiplier like 99999 for medieval era and it worked but not for all medieval techs. Military Engineering and castles both still have only 1 turn to learn which makes it possible to go to the medieval era .

EDIT: actually when I lowered the multiplier from 99999 to 999 Military Engineering and castles got 24,040 turns to learn and all other medieval techs got 18,492 turns to learn. However, the apprenticeship has 14,193 turns to learn because of the boost. Anyway I think its now truly locked as I wont be able to make so much turns =)

Last edited:
Does this make it slower if i just add it but don't change any values?? how much slower?

Does this make it slower if i just add it but don't change any values?? how much slower?

Default multiplier values are:
ANCIENT: 1x
CLASSICAL: 1.1x
MEDIEVAL: 1.2x
RENAISSANCE: 1.4x
INDUSTRIAL: 1.7x
MODERN: 2.1x
ATOMIC: 2.6x
INFORMATION: 3.1x

Does doing this disable achievements? I really hate that once you get into the second half of eras, techs and civics just fly by, and you never even get to build the previous tier of units before you already unlock a new one, as well as chasing eureka is just not worth it since they techs is just a few turns anyway, so i would like to play with this, but i also wanna chase down the acheivements now, before any good must have total overhaul mods starts popping up :p

For those who want a few more tiny changes to balance a fast production/slow research game, then here's my personal changes:
Code:
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*4;
UPDATE Civics SET Cost = Cost*4;
UPDATE Eras SET GreatPersonBaseCost = GreatPersonBaseCost*3;
UPDATE ModifierArguments SET Value = "-80" WHERE ModifierId = "MINOR_CIV_PRODUCTION_PENALTY" AND Name = "Amount";
UPDATE Units SET Cost = Cost * 4 WHERE UnitType = "UNIT_MISSIONARY" OR UnitType = "UNIT_APOSTLE" OR UnitType = "UNIT_INQUISITOR";

Reasoning:
1+2: With this slow a game you will probably get all eurekas, which means 400% speed is essentially 200%.
3: You can absolute spam GPs without this.
4: City states will spam warriors like crazy without a greater production penalty.
5: As with Civ5 the AI will go insane with missionaries if you do not increase the cost.

I am using both this mod and the mod that changes the costs of units, buildings and districts. Drastically reducing the costs of units and buildings (and not districts) and then increasing the following eras by their value:

ANCIENT: 2x
CLASSICAL: 2x
MEDIEVAL: 2x
RENAISSANCE: 2x
INDUSTRIAL: 3x
MODERN: 3x
ATOMIC: 3x
INFORMATION: 3x

Going to give this a try and see how it progresses

Top Bottom