[Civ2] SMAC Civ2 Project Files

Hey Andrew,
If you're out there, post on any new ideas...this project is still in the process stage for those who've been asking but working continues...
:)
John

Any particular reason why AC>CivII and not vice versa?

Actually there are a couple reasons:

1. I am not as familiar with SMAC's code to produce Civ2 for SMAC yet...but it's an idea!

2. There are people who would like to play SMAC but have dedicated their time to another equally wonderful game...Civ2...

Otherwise, there is also the challenge, the determination and interest to make something like this work. It's come a long way believe it or not...no estimate on the release date as yet...but I'm not off this project...school has taken over my life unexpectedly (I actually do homework now!) and that has seemed to silence me- but in the immortal words of the Terminator, "I'll be back."

JV, where exactly did we trail off? I'm currently busy with two other projects, but I'd like to finish this one. Or at least see it finished. :)

IIRC you were going to convert the units to the regular civ2 pallete. Did I send you the paradroping units you requested? Sorry, can't remember :(

BTW, does all this interest in the project mean more helpers?

Oh yes! This is definitely going to be finished- there is no question about it...and I didn't get the Paradropping units. If I remember correctly, I've changed to the Civ II palette and reworked the terrain graphics again...

We've done quite a bit on this so far but there is a long way to go...I already have the title.gif and other little odds and ends too.

Good to see this project picking up momentum again..that's just the way a big project like this works :D

John

One of the issues has been trying to get a decent combination of units. I think I've got this down but this is definitely going to have to be a scenario- it's has too many limitations with the unit slots and there are too many obsticles that make it impossible to retain any reasonable game play for a standard mod.

In short, Andrew, I'm reactivating this project as a scenario simply because it is more likely to be finished and it will solve a lot of problems that have bogged us down in progress.

I will see what I can do by the end of September, and if possible post some screen shots here and on my website.

Any comments are welcome.

John
CivPartisan

You could use multiple unit-files (and other files too if you need it). ;)

Just to prove that this project is not dead...

... but is still a long way from complete

NICE! I really thought it was dead though..

To bad you can't buil cities in the ocean as in the original one.

All my projects are interminable :p

Apart from the easy ones when I'm juiced up :)

At least you're interested. :(

Hooray!

I think more people are interested but they don't know about this projct. I'm sure that if you posted it on some forum with some more users etc. you would get more feedback.
I won't name any because I've heard that some ppl don't like that..

Interesting project but could someone explain this scenerio better to me? (the objective, where it's happening, etc)

P.S.: If you need somebody (that's not participating in the project, or not yet ;) ) to test it out for you just say so.

Although I don't see much point in creating SMAC scen when you can just play the actual SMAC, I have to say that screen-shot looks great!

AFAIK, SMAC has no macro like Civ2 does right? (Sorry, I haven't played SMAC in such a long time.)

Nevertheless, I would LOVE to be able to play Civ2 on SMAC--I prefer cannon over lasers any day! :D

The fact that there is collatoral damage (other units in stack are damaged when defender is destroyed) and bombardment, unit upgrading and a whole host of other features Civ2 lacks would make for some great civing. It's just a matter fo someone dong it once and then other can use that mod/scen as a template on which to base other SMAC-Civ2 mods ans scens.

I know there is quite a lot of game info that can be modded through the various text files (just as with Civ2). I can't remember now if SMAC uses the same 'Scenario' folder system as Civ2.

Originally posted by CivPartisan
1. I am not as familiar with SMAC's code to produce Civ2 for SMAC yet...but it's an idea!

What is the most difficult aspect of working with the SMAC program? Aside from graphics, I figured it was just about as moddable as Civ2 only more complex.

The screenshot looked good. A few questions, though. 1) How are you going to simulate the variety of units you can make? and 2) how are the different faction abilities going to be done? I don't think the different forms of government offer a wide enough spread. Just some thoughts/questions.

Well, well, well...it appears that interest has re-arisen and this project can get rolling at a faster speed. There are of course issues that need to be addressed in regard to game play, I would never say that didn't exist. However, let me begin with the one of the more popular questions that has been voiced about why we chose to create an SMAC scenario and not the other way around? The simplicity of the civ engine is often thought of as too limited...but it reality it is actually very powerful. True, there are of course things built into SMAC that are not in Civ but that doesn't mean that you need an entirely new game engine to play Alpha Centauri. Hence, the purpose of this project is to bring Alpha Centauri to anyone who feels a bit of closure is in order for Civ II. Think about it; there are numerous scenarios that exist that are historical, fantasy, sci-fi, etc...but none that really follow the natural progression of the game (well, technically there are a couple out there that purport to playing beyond 2200 A.D. but I mean as Sid Meier's ending of the game really suggests as the colonization of a planet after winning). So, SMAC on Civ II could work. It should have been one of the first scenarios, but somehow it didn't quite sink, I think, with all the other nifty possibilities and excitements of the game.

Secondly, simulating the ENTIRE variety of units simply isn't possible UNLESS multiple units files are used. This is something that is probably NOT going to be done, and I will tell you why.

A) That's the same amount of work as making a scenario for each faction.
B) There isn't a significant difference in gameplay anyway because it is a scenario- unless you make a scenario for each faction (hmmm...future upgades maybe?)
C) This scenario will require TwEaKs on a scale of tweaking that is currently only rarely practiced in the rules.txt and game.txt. Graphics are not the problem, but I am going places in these files that give you nasty errors if you type in a value string that is not acceptable and will sometimes interfere with things. It's not much of a scenario if it doesn't run smoothly, so we are looking at gamma before beta and this is why things are so slow.
D) I'm a perfectionist- (sorry, it's something I've had since birth)

There are some great things here and I will spend more time answering questions soon. I've been working full-time, so it has hampered my promptness which is a shame because I do have a lot say about the project.

Special thanks to Andrew for his continued support on this thread as well as all others who have posted. Feel free to add to this at your earliest convenience and will reply as well.

:)

Must...learn...to...draw...Civ...units...!!!

Sorry... I'd be glad to help somehow. I don't own the "Alien Crossfire" expansion so I'm going to be more of a hinderance than a help if you were wanting to incorporate some of the things from the expansion but I've played SMAC into the ground. :)

Hi what you guys are doing looks cool, although i do not have civ2 anymore. I see from the post you guys have been working on this off and on for about 2 years thats quite a committment ;) .

Well to get straight to it, Andrew did you extract the units from smac as the 3d models or what did you do to make your units, If you did how. :) I am very interested in extracting the civ units and the other cvr files. I had found a viewercvrplay , but I couldn't get it to work. Well if you guys could help me out if you know of any tools made to extract Smac or smacx resources I would be greatfull.

I'd like to know that too :(

I get the feeling this project will never be finished. I think they should publish what theyve done, it looks pretty playable as it is.

Top Bottom