SMAN's The World at War Scenarion - The Spanish Civil War

Florian de Saltés

Chieftain
It is a scenario based on the excellent mod of SMAN's World at War Scenario in the Spanish conflict between 1936-39.
Completed:
- Map
- Civilizations (playable):
* Republicans - II República
* Nationalists - Francisco Franco
* Catalonia - Luis Companys
* Euzkadi - José Antonio Aguirre
* Anarchists - Buenaventura Durruti
- New National Wonders (59).
- New economic and political buildings (52).

It remains to develop:

- Units:
Bando Nacional (Nationalists)
Vanguard troops: Spanish Legion and Regulares (Indigenous Regular Forces)
Bando Republicano (Republicans)
Militia and Infantry (Spanish Republican Army).
- Limit the technology to the time.
- Include the resource of olives on the map.
- Music.

That is why you are looking for help from those who are interested in finalizing these aspects.
Thank you!
I have updated the link with the scenario:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/spanish-civil-war.27212/

Last edited:
Good start. Here are some of the data elements I'd be looking for when starting to design a scenario:

- The scenario's "Official" name. I'd recommend something like "SMAN's World at War Scenario -- The Spanish Civil War"

- For a 4 year scenario with monthly game turns, the scenario would run 48 turns. Is this enough? We could go to weekly game turns (260 turns!), but that may be overkill. The longer the scenario runs, the worse the AI performance is and looks.

- What are the "playable" civilizations? For each of them, we'll need:
1. Civ Name
2. Civ Leader: it will help a lot if you can find/recycle existing artwork (Diplomatic Screen, Dawn of Man Screen, and the Civ Display Map) - if not, we need to create something, so I'd need some decent color pictures to start with. And TBH, I'm no artist! :crazyeye:
3. Civ Trait - also known as a Unique Ability. I'd recommend not putting much effort in these, since scenarios are quite short by nature. So, keep it simple, and similar to existing UA's already in the game.
4. Civ Uniques - each civ needs at least 2 uniques (any combination of buildings, terrain improvements, and/or units)

- Are these playable civs all about the same size? Or should we introduce 2 levels of civs - and track mod performance/victory conditions separately for these 2 levels? If there are only 5 civs, I'd recommend keeping everything on one level. It will look better and perform better, I think.

- What are the City States (aka non-playable civs) needed? It's no problem to create new ones if you need them.

- What Events will be needed? Both for individual Civs, but also events that apply to all civs.

- What adjustments to the tech tree are required. I modified the standard WAW tech tree to ensure the game stays in the WW2 Era. Some of the techs moved, as well. Here is what the current WW2 scenario's TT looks like:

upload_2019-2-3_18-21-32.jpeg

- What are the Victory Conditions? Is there a list of cities we can use to test for automatic victory (i.e. if a civ or one of its allies [a civ on the same team or has a defensive agreement with] owns all of these major cities and a certain number of minor cities) - they automatically win, even if it's not turn 48?

- What role does religion play? In the WW2 scenario, I'm using the Religion features to stand in for "Doctrine" (Fascist, Communist, Democracy).

- Are there any other changes we'd need to make to make the mod: more fun, more realistic, more historical, more interesting, etc., to play?

Once these are more complete, we'll need to start looking at the map and playable civs - to try and decide how to structure the Scenario Management Engine (SME) so it can at least mimic a smarter version of the AI. The things I'll be most interested for each playable civ is "what are its main goals this civ wants to accomplish? Attack player 'B'? Where are player B's cities in relation to the attacking civ?" Etc.

It may sound complicated, but it's really straight-forward, once you break it down into its smaller pieces.

- For a 4 year scenario with monthly game turns, the scenario would run 48 turns. Is this enough? We could go to weekly game turns (260 turns!), but that may be overkill. The longer the scenario runs, the worse the AI performance is and looks.

48 turns could be short; For weeks it could be 150 turns (50 weeks x 3 years).

- What are the "playable" civilizations? For each of them, we'll need:
1. Civ Name

- Civilizations (playable):
* Republicans - II República
* Nationalists - Francisco Franco
* Catalonia - Luis Companys
* Euzkadi - José Antonio Aguirre
* Anarchists - Buenaventura Durruti

2. Civ Leader: it will help a lot if you can find/recycle existing artwork (Diplomatic Screen, Dawn of Man Screen, and the Civ Display Map) - if not, we need to create something, so I'd need some decent color pictures to start with. And TBH, I'm no artist!

They are created and are already edited:
Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Guerra Civil (v 1)\DATABASE\Civilizations\Nacional\Art
Tell me what you think :)

3. Civ Trait - also known as a Unique Ability. I'd recommend not putting much effort in these, since scenarios are quite short by nature. So, keep it simple, and similar to existing UA's already in the game.

They are edited and would be the following:
Republicans - Require 10% less experience to acquire a new promotion, y +25% combat force in friendly territory.
Nationalists - Receive a free Courthouse in every city conquered. Great Generals grant a + 25% combat bonus. The appearance of Great Generals increases + 25%.
Catalonia - Trade Routes with other Civilizations provides +2 Gold and +2 Culture. Mines +1 Production, and +15% combat force in friendly territory
Euzkadi - The units move faster through the Hills, and + 15% combat force in friendly territory.
Anarchists - Units receive a +15% attack bonus on friendly territory, and +10% Combat Strength bonus if within 2 tiles of a Farm. Terrestrial Units the maintenance cost is reduced by 25%.

Civ Uniques - each civ needs at least 2 uniques (any combination of buildings, terrain improvements, and/or units)

These are the ones that I have added (I would have to check since I do not know if I did it correctly)
Republicans:
* Units:
- Militia Column (Levy GW)
- Brigada Mixta (Infantry WW2)
- Bomber - Tb3
- Fighter 1 - I-15
- Fighter 1b - V-1 Vulpee
- Fighter 2 - I-16
- Light Bomber - Tu2
- Light Tank - T-26

Catalonia:
* Units:

Euzkadi:
* Units:

Anarchists:
* Units:

I have also added unique buildings for each faction, in addition to national wonders of each function to replace others that are unviable by the number of cities, also serve to give historical background to the stage.
5-GCEWonders - Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Guerra Civil (v 1)\DATABASE\Buildings

In the same way I have added wonders of Spain already created in the cities (La Giralda, Torre del Oro, Escorial, ...).
file 6-EspanaWonders - Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Guerra Civil (v 1)\DATABASE\Buildings

I have also created new buildings to boost the economy found
file 4-NewIndustrialBuildings - Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Guerra Civil (v 1)\DATABASE\Buildings

Nationalists:
* Units:
- Infantry GW
- Infantry WW2
- Bandera de la Legión GW (Spanish foreign legion - elite unit)
- Bandera de la Legión WW2 (Spanish foreign legion - elite unit)
- Regulares GW (Spanish indigenous troops "moors" - elite unit)
- Regulares WW2 (Spanish indigenous troops "moors" - elite unit)
- Bomber - Ju88
- Fighter 1 - Ba65
- Fighter 1b - Stuka
- Fighter 2 - Bf109
- Light Bomber - HE111
- Light Tank - Panzer I

- Are these playable civs all about the same size? Or should we introduce 2 levels of civs - and track mod performance/victory conditions separately for these 2 levels? If there are only 5 civs, I'd recommend keeping everything on one level. It will look better and perform better, I think.

The main civilizations are Nationalists and Republicans.
The civilizations, Catalonian, Euzkadi and Anarchists, are secondary. I have created them to reflect the division that was on the Republican side and make the Republic civilization weaker. Militarily they remain defensive.
As a victory I would put what you said about getting key cities.

What are the City States (aka non-playable civs) needed? It's no problem to create new ones if you need them.

I have added the civilizations of the UK, France and Portugal, instead of city-states. Which can serve to trade since I have created the Palace building with allocation of strategic resources (oil, coal, iron, etc.)
Another thing would be to add the city as state Tanger, which was an independent city with international mandate at that time.

- What Events will be needed? Both for individual Civs, but also events that apply to all civs.

I'm not familiar with this aspect, I would not know :crazyeye:

- What adjustments to the tech tree are required. I modified the standard WAW tech tree to ensure the game stays in the WW2 Era. Some of the techs moved, as well. Here is what the current WW2 scenario's TT looks like:

It seems perfect to me, I have tried to edit it following your model of WW2 end technology that you published, but at the moment I have not been able.
For nuclear weapons there would be no problems since the uranium resource is not found on the scene, so an atomic weapon could not be created.

- What are the Victory Conditions? Is there a list of cities we can use to test for automatic victory (i.e. if a civ or one of its allies [a civ on the same team or has a defensive agreement with] owns all of these major cities and a certain number of minor cities) - they automatically win, even if it's not turn 48?

It could be automatic victory with the dominion of a series of cities, as you already told me, besides adding a victory for points, it occurs to me.

- What role does religion play? In the WW2 scenario, I'm using the Religion features to stand in for "Doctrine" (Fascist, Communist, Democracy).

I think that what you are saying is very accurate, and I have considered it, but the religious aspect is not edited. It would be interesting to add religion as Fascism, Communism, Anarchism and Democracy.

- Are there any other changes we'd need to make to make the mod: more fun, more realistic, more historical, more interesting, etc., to play?

In this regard, it has added two new weapons and rations resources. Those that are necessary to build units.
These new resources are produced by buildings; the arms are produced by the buildings related to the armament and the rations are produced by new buildings such as canned fish, meat, vegetable, sugar, species, ...
I have also added other luxury resources such as tobacco, chocolate, goods, perfume, olives, ...
The problem with olives is that I am not able to edit to appear in the map terrain.
The other resources are already edited with their graphics.

* Also include the magnificent SMAN's The World at War - Modern Terrain Improvements (v 1), it would be great.
* Create Great Generals of their own for each faction, just as you did in your scenario of the Hundred Years War or The Napoleonic Wars.
* Limit aviation to airfields and not to cities as it comes by default.

I have actualized:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/spanish-civil-war.27212/

Last edited:
I only use it to basically change the image (.DDS) files a model uses - mostly when I rename existing models to help cut down on some of the errors you encounter when too many units try to use the same files.

When I'm working on custom animations, I also use the program to get bone names, which the animation files sometimes need.

The program is called, "IndieStone Nexus Buddy V0.1a" by lemmy101 and Captain Binky

I think I found it on Civfanatics (utilities) somewhere, but I can't really remember.

@sman1975 Thanks!.
This is what I want to use for rename the .DDS files, but the program "IndieStone Nexus Buddy V0.1a" by lemmy101 and Captain Binky does not work.

Sorry to hear that. It works for me... :lol:

There may be more than one version of this app, so perhaps look around to see?

@sman1975 I'm looking at the utilities section and the threads of these subjects, but there is nothing that I can use, nor am I able to use the utilities based on the Nexus.:cry:

Did you have to modify any file to execute it, or did it run without problems?
Could you upload it to see if it works?

Do you have the /Nexus/x86 folder in this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK

The program I use is called "IndieStoneNexusBuddy_old.exe"

It's an Application file 116 kb in size. I may have renamed it, but I'm not sure. It's the only Application besides the "Nexus.exe" and "Viewer.exe" files in this folder.

Here is the version I've been using successfully. It is located in the path in post #13.

Attachments

• IndieStoneNexusBuddy_old.rar
    44.9 KB · Views: 139
Thanks:):goodjob: @sman1975 but it's not working:crazyeye:.
However, I am managing to add the units to the different factions. Subsequently, the name of the graphic files of the units would have to be changed.

Ola, @Florian de Saltés - just to let you know, I'm in testing for the WW2 scenario, and I'm actually quite happy with how well the SME is working. The mod really puts up a decent fight, and looks fantastic (if I say so myself). I'm hoping to get it published in the next 1-2 weeks. After that, I'll probably take a few days off to celebrate, but after that should be able to free up some time to help with this scenario.

If possible, I'd like to "borrow" some of your configuration files from ModBuddy, so I can re-create the mod on my own development machine. This will save a bunch of time in assembling and testing the SCW scenario. I've looked over your mod and really like what I see. You've completed the parts I generally don't like (anything to deal with art), and I believe the SCW will be a great test bed for the SME. I've given up on building the "Red Star/White Star" scenario for now. Am just too burnt out and need something completely different. I think the SCW will be a great project to test the SME.

Will let you know when I know more. Thanks for your patience.

Hey there. I really want to play these civilisation in a generic civ 5 game, I went about trying to mod for the very first time by start merging this in to another civ that works, however it is a lot of manual work and I am also flying blind without much help and I don't know what specific things to take out or if I need to " build mod" on modbuddy.Is there any tips or tricks on doing this quicker or specific parts of the scenario I should remove?

Thanks for any help

Top Bottom