So rock of Gibraltar doesn't count as a mountain?

danaphanous

religious fanatic
I always thought every natural wonder but lake victoria did, but on my YNAEMP game as portugal I moved next to the rock thinking it would mean a sweet observatory capital later. But it won't let me build an observatory there now that I have the tech. My other mountain city can build one but not Lisbon next to the rock. Is this natural wonder bugged or something? It seems more like a mountain then many other kinds of natural wonders so I was a bit confused by this. Granted it is my first time settling next to it so I have no prior reference...can someone confirm? I can't find anything about the rock NOT counting as a mountain online when I google it which I'd expect so I was wondering if the YNAEMP map and I used disabled this feature.

From the Observatory entry on Civ5's wikia page:

"Bonus science building. Requires a mountain or a mountainous Natural Wonder (Mt. Fuji, Old Faithful, Cerro de Potosi, Mt. Kaliash, Mt. Sinai, Sri Pada, Uluru or Mt. Kilimanjaro) in the tile next to the city, inside your territory."​

Shouldn't there always be a mountain right next to rock of Gibraltar anyway?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 10-04-16 at 01.37 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 10-04-16 at 01.37 PM.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 319
It is because of the small set of "mountains" I circled in the attached screenshot. Gibraltar in the game is a odd two-tile wonder -- only the Gibraltar tile gives the wonder tile yields, but it always spawns next to a fairly flat tile that looks like grasslands (usually) but is coded as a mountain. IIRC, you can settle next to that tile and be able to build the observatory (although it's been ages since I settled next to Gibraltar, so I won't swear to it).

Spoiler :
Gibraltar.jpg

So far I have not been able to find where I read it, but I'm pretty sure you can move a unit on/through the "mountain" tile next to Gibraltar. But if the unit ends it turn on that tile, it will take heavy damage at the start of the next turn, and every turn it remains there.

Should only apply to Carthage (after they spawn their first Great General, their units can traverse mountain tiles, but suffer 50 HP damage if they end their turn on a mountain tile).

The map mod danaphanous is using (YNAEMP map) removes that nearby mountain I think, so no observatory.

Top Bottom