Some strategy and control questions

ylekiot

Chieftain
1) Can you (how do you) change governments before the game prompts you?

2) Can you (how do you) change what you are researching before you finish
it? (would be very useful if you get a GP)

3) Can you (how do you) manage individual squares (prod, science, etc) next to a city?

3a) I read somewhere that you can select the spawn location for a boat by managing a tile?

4) How do you expand your borders in the beginning of the game. (I find courthouses hard to build...)

Thanks to any and all addicts that respond

1) Can you (how do you) change governments before the game prompts you?

2) Can you (how do you) change what you are researching before you finish
it? (would be very useful if you get a GP)

3) Can you (how do you) manage individual squares (prod, science, etc) next to a city?

3a) I read somewhere that you can select the spawn location for a boat by managing a tile?

4) How do you expand your borders in the beginning of the game. (I find courthouses hard to build...)

Thanks to any and all addicts that respond

1) Can't understand this, if you want, just press select/back and change governemnt. NEVER DO THIS AFTER YOU TAKE A CAPITAL (it freezes the game 90% of times, at least what I have seen).

2) Same thing, back/select

3) Maybe one of my posts :D Just select only one water tile and remove all others water tiles.

4) Build simply many cities, you can see strategies to expand fast with no republic in my threads ;)

Hey Mort- You spend far too much time in your life on this game :lol: (I am beginning to have the same problem... Is there a support/therapy group for people who need it? I can see there are a few on this forum that need it :crazyeye: . I have read many of your posts, and I can tell your brain is full of information that you would like to share, and you are obviously very knowledgeable, but I have a hard time deciphering your content-maybe English is not your native language (no offense intended, just guessing). I appreciate your rapid response, but it but I'm sorry to say I don't understand your answers. I am playing on an Xbox 360. I'm not sure what you mean by hit the back/select button. I can go to the unit, activate it with the 'a' button, and then can only seem to access the city screen, move/attack, scroll, diplomacy, and game functions-that seems to be it. What am I missing?

You're other answer I don't understand either. The question was how do you select/change/(remove)/manage individual tiles next to a city? As my math teacher used to say "no hand waving allowed". I can go to the manage workers/custom screen, but then I only seem to be able to press the 'y' or yellow button to loggle between two modes, I cannot seem to select/manage the individual tiles-this also applies to your answer about 'removing' a water tile, since I can't manage individual tiles, I have no idea how to remove a water tile.

As far as the last reply, I wasn't asking about building many cities, I was asking about when you have a city (any one, pick ONE) how do you get the shaded area to expand (more than what you are given initially) without building a courthouse? I always seem to have a lot of small cities, and I would like to expand them to take advantage of closeby resources.

Again, thanks for your reply, but I am looking for SPECIFIC answers-press this button, do this, etc. I wouldn't be posting if I knew how to do it... :sad:

Hey Mort- You spend far too much time in your life on this game :lol: (I am beginning to have the same problem... Is there a support/therapy group for people who need it? I can see there are a few on this forum that need it :crazyeye: . I have read many of your posts, and I can tell your brain is full of information that you would like to share, and you are obviously very knowledgeable, but I have a hard time deciphering your content-maybe English is not your native language (no offense intended, just guessing). I appreciate your rapid response, but it but I'm sorry to say I don't understand your answers. I am playing on an Xbox 360. I'm not sure what you mean by hit the back/select button. I can go to the unit, activate it with the 'a' button, and then can only seem to access the city screen, move/attack, scroll, diplomacy, and game functions-that seems to be it. What am I missing?

You're other answer I don't understand either. The question was how do you select/change/(remove)/manage individual tiles next to a city? As my math teacher used to say "no hand waving allowed". I can go to the manage workers/custom screen, but then I only seem to be able to press the 'y' or yellow button to loggle between two modes, I cannot seem to select/manage the individual tiles-this also applies to your answer about 'removing' a water tile, since I can't manage individual tiles, I have no idea how to remove a water tile.

As far as the last reply, I wasn't asking about building many cities, I was asking about when you have a city (any one, pick ONE) how do you get the shaded area to expand (more than what you are given initially) without building a courthouse? I always seem to have a lot of small cities, and I would like to expand them to take advantage of closeby resources.

Again, thanks for your reply, but I am looking for SPECIFIC answers-press this button, do this, etc. I wouldn't be posting if I knew how to do it... :sad:

Maybe I answered too fast, however I'm italian. You should press back, then you can change government or select the technology you want to research, and you can do that every time you want (the government only one per turn obviously). If you want to expand with small cities, there isn't anything to help you to work on more tiles. If you want more culture, then go for temples. If you want to work more tiles, buid more cities.

About the ship, to build it where you want, you should work only on the tile you want the ship to appear. Then, remove workers from every water tile and work only on one.

Thanks again Mort. This time I think I understand. I got the back thang-I have no idea why I couldn't find it before-kick me now. As far as the city tiles go, I guess you only have the ability to switch them on or off after you have chosen a production option from the main screen? This doesn't really make sense to me, I was thinking you could toggle a tile from science to gold to none or whatever or possibly pick it from a list. It seems rather useless to either turn it on or off and doesn't allow you to micromanage the tile. As far as the city borders expansion goes, are you saying the more culture you have the faster you expand? I almost never build temples, preferring to focus on science/gold early in the game. Is there some kind of formula to know how much culture you need in a given city to expand your borders? I would be useless to build a temple if your borders are going to stay the same size.

And speaking of useful things, it sure would be nice to have a 'unit screen' (kind of like in Panzer General or whatever) so you could see the characteristics of the unit in detail (special abilities etc.).

Pressing L3 (clicking the left stick) in the city menu will allow you to assign the tiles you want to work manually.

The way to manage those tiles manually is to select "Custom" as your focus. Then you can select any tile that is lit up and click it. This will move effectively un-assign workers from the tile and pool those workers in the city. Then you click on any other tile (the arrows will help you out) and it will assign those workers to that tile. Sometimes even when you focus on gold or science the city is not truly maximizing it's output in one of these areas, and it can be helpful to manually assign where your workers are going. Good luck!

Kadazzle hit the nail on the head about expansion. The colored border you see is based on culture (temples, great people, wonders, etc.) and the amount of tiles you can work within those borders is based on population and buildings like the courthouse.

Top Bottom