'special' keyboard characters not working in console

Chrykal

Chieftain
I'm trying to use the python console within Civ4 BTS, however most of the special characters
such as quotation marks come up as question marks instead.

Needless to say this makes any kind of progress difficult, any help would be appreciated
as I can't seem to find anyone else who has had this problem.

edit: Apparently Civ4 assumes an American keyboard layout so new question,
anyone know if there is a way to change this to the UK keyboard layout?

I think the best thing you can do is to get a standard US keyboard. Period.

I also struggle with using the console, but I've memorized what keys correspond to what characters by now. Its not very convenient in any case.

Oh well, not the answer I was hoping for :sad:
but I'll just have to cope I suppose, thanks for your help.

I do believe that you can change the key mapping or something inside the SDK though. Can you edit the SDK and compile a new DLL?

I don't really want to start editing the game core just yet,
this is my first attempt at modding, i normally just write simple tools.
Maybe when I'm a bit more familiar with it.

What do you need the Python console for, by the way?

What do you need the Python console for, by the way?

It's useful for debugging. You can print the value of variables located within your mod. I usually just use a log file, but the console does have the advantage of being more flexible. You could also use it for setting values of variables in your mod while testing but I never tried that.

Yeah, I also use the console myself all the time. I was just wondering why the OP was conditioning getting into modding/programming on using the console. Because its not required for anything at all.

Sorry, I read over the first part of the thread to quickly. I was just answering your question out of context.

I've obviously caused some confusion. I know the console isn't essential,
I just liked the convenience of having the console there, and it's not a condition for me modding.

However I also know that most of what I want to do with this mod can be done without
editing the game core dll, so if I can put off trawling through it's source code I will. ;)

Have you tried changing the Windows keyboard layout instead? You'll probably have better luck there than in Civ4.

Top Bottom