Starting in the *same* place every time...

toh6wy

Emperor
I have tried playing custom maps in C3C several times. When*ever* there are no set starting locations, and I pick a non-seafaring civ, I start in the same place *every time* - even if I pick a different civ, different difficulty level, different opponents, no cultural starts, or anything different, for that matter (except when I pick a seafaring civ - then I start in a different place, although I start around there whenever I pick a seafaring civ) It is starting to get really annoying. Has anyone else had this problem?

The manual states that seafaring civs always start next to the ocean. Maybe the computer chooses thirty or so such "Ocean Starts", and then assigns them to each seafaring civ. Since you're first, then...

But this is just a theory. Pretty much every game engine concept has been figured out, so I'm sure there's an answer somewhere.

When the computer generates maps, it creates a certain number of random starting locations (the max for that map size, I think, regardless of the actual number of players). It assigns each person to a random starting location. When you play Seafaring, it assigns you a spot near the ocean, if there are any (which there usually are).

Yes, I know all that! I'm talking about a *custom* map. A map that has *no* starting locations placed on it at all. I know because I went into the editor and checked. (This was a map I downloaded) And yet every time I pick a non-seafaring civ for this map, I start on the exact same tile without fail.

What I was trying to say with the seafaring thing was that this tile I always start on is not next to the ocean, so when I pick a seafaring civ, I always start on this other tile. So it's like, I always start on one tile if I pick seafaring, or always on another if I don't. Gah! :wallbash:

I would wonder if the downloaded custom map may have somehow defined the starting position...? Could you ask the author of the map?

That couldn't be done, but the simple solution is to "Randomize Starting Locations" in the Editor. Then you will start on one of a certain number of start locations.

Cuivienen said:
That couldn't be done, but the simple solution is to "Randomize Starting Locations" in the Editor. Then you will start on one of a certain number of start locations.

I suppose I could do that...
Hey, if I put a generic starting location on every single non-mountain, volcano, and marsh tile, it would theoretically have almost the same effect as having none! I'm gonna try it. :)

[edit]Then again, this is a huge map... that would take a *long* time. Hmm.[/edit]

toh6wy said:
I suppose I could do that...
Hey, if I put a generic starting location on every single non-mountain, volcano, and marsh tile, it would theoretically have almost the same effect as having none! I'm gonna try it. :)

[edit]Then again, this is a huge map... that would take a *long* time. Hmm.[/edit]

No, you would actually start there but wouldn't be able to build a city...either that or it just won't let you put them there.

Top Bottom