Stop Sending Missionaries/Prophets does not work

I've had this happen in several games where another Civ spreads their religion, I tell them to stop, and they do it again a few turns later anyway.

Other than going to war or blocking off access to my city, can't think of much else to do about this other than waste faith on Inquisitors.

Place an inquisitor inside your city, and the prophet and missionaries will not spread their religion. They will move on to another city. An alternative to just go to war, and destroying them. Also closed borders will cause them to waste away from attrition.

It works, the AI just ignores it. The only ways to stop religion spam are to a) use Inquisitors, b) block your cities off, or c) attack the offending Civ.
...c) is about the best option, usually.

Well, did they agree to stop? If so, sometimes the units who have already been ordered to convert your cities will continue to do so, but there will usually be no new waves. If they continue to do it after promising not to, they probably dont respect your military. Your only option is to set up inquisitors, block off your cities, or go to war. I love capturing unused enemy great prophets and forcing them to build holy sites in honor of my gods.

If they refuse to stop, you know why it's happening.

Bascially the over-riding principle of Civ V was to make the AI behave like a human. So yes; none of the tell AI to stop doing anything works any more than it would against a human.
Standard BTW practice: After enhancing your religion and having spawned one missionary to jump start your own religion, spawn two inquistors. Park one next to your capital on the road network. Park the second next to whichever of your cities would take longest to reconvert if it were to be converted, but on the road network. If it looks like AI is trying to convert a different city, then use that road network to move an inquistor next to the target.
(If the Inquistor is parked; it will passively block AIs Prophets & MIssonaries. And you spawn them when their only 200 / 300 faith.)

Also, all the stop AI from X are negative diplomatic hits to you; so unless you want the relationship with that AI to sour, don't bother asking them to stop anything.

Top Bottom