[NFP] Struggling with Basil II on Deity

Alaindor

Warlord
Hi, maybe I can get good advice from you experimented players?

Playing on Deity / Marathon / Huge continents map, I want to achieve a religious or domination victory. Reading how OP Basil II is supposed to be, I just can't seem to start off: because I rush for an early religion (which I get if I survive that long), my military therefore remains weak and even if I can fend off Barbarians, inevitably civs I have met will attack me with large forces and either conquer my cities, or at least weaken me to the point I give up. I don't ever get a chance to befriend them as they don't accept delegation or friendship on the first turn I meet them and then they become hostile and eventually declare surprise war on me.

What am I doing wrong? Is it just a matter of bad luck, and hoping I meet no one until my military becomes on par (which would have other drawbacks anyway)? Or should I first concentrate on military with the risk of losing my religion (without which Basil II would be useless)?

I've read multiple guides on this but I can't even seem to reach the point where Basil starts getting an edge. Appreciate any useful advice you might have, thanks.

I created another game under your settings to be sure, but contrary to your experience, AIs still accept delegations on the first turn you meet them. So, I don't know where the discrepancy could come from. Are you using any mods?

If you have trouble securing a religion, I suggest building a Holy Site and chopping 2/3 holy prayers. Excluding leaders that get bonuses to founding a religion (such as Saladin) might be another avenue if you still have difficulty.

Thanks, I will persist then. Getting a religion is no issue, but it's the fact that while I do that, I'm not building a military and hence the AI sees me (rightfully) as weak when we encounter. I don't use any mods, I do turn on occasionally modes (heroes, SS) to no further avail.

Basil is best if you can get away without rushing but sometimes the AI is just mean. My general advice is to go animal husbandry first and even researching archery halfway before going for astrology. Basil does get extra great prophet points so you can get away with putting off your holy sites longer than other civs could. While doing this build 2-3 slingers and look for barbs to get the archery eureka, that's your best bet for fending off a deity rush. I like to squeeze a settler in as soon as my capital hits 2 pop to get that second city running right away. Build a warrior in that second city and save gold to upgrade your slingers. Now you should have the troops needed to fend off the AI. Just make sure to lock in cheap holy sites by placing them in both cities as soon as you hit astrology. Then either finish them or continue building your small army as needed.

There's always a chance you'll miss religion if enough AI go for it but that's less likely since they tuned the AI to not be so hellbent on getting a religion. I've gotten one by accident in the medieval in my last two games. Didn't even want one in my current game since it causes loyalty issues in dom games and I've got better things to dump faith on.

Thanks, since I'm not used to going religious maybe I'm too eager to rush for it for fear of missing out, I'll try it your way

I don't like going for religion either. Always feels like I'm putting something more useful off. You have to make sure you can defend and you're trying to catch up to the AI headstart. I'd rather build campuses or encampments (assuming domination anyway). Basil isn't OP until at least the medieval when he's on tech parity and has faith to spread that religion. He's no better than Georgia in the ancient and classical.

Top Bottom