Tell us your best game setup for BNW!

Rebel Fighter

Chieftain
Hello, I finally decided to try and do some Singeplayer for once on Brave New World but I don't know what settings to choose!

Questions:
1. What civs are the most fun to play as or against (especially out of the new BNW lineup)?
2. What is the most fun map to play on?
3. What is the best map size to play on if you have a laptop (not a gaming PC)?
4. What is the best difficulty to play on?
5. What is the most fun speed to play at?

My answers:
1. I have no idea!
2. I don't know, but I prefer maps that are balanced and realistic.
3. I would assume small or standard for a laptop. I'm unsure about large, but I would assume huge would be far too taxing on the hardware later in the game.
4. I still don't know, but I have a rough guess. I would assume it's somewhere between Emperor and Deity.
5. Quick is too fast and Marathon is too slow. I'm having some difficulty deciding between Standard and Epic at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Please keep in mind that I am very new to Singeplayer even though I've been playing Civ V for awhile.

Anyway, have a nice day! :)

1. I really love to play as Indonesia, Shoshone and Poland. I would recommend Poland if you don't have a lot of play experience already, as their UA is pretty straightforward and not too complex/different from a normal playstyle. Maybe Shoshone or Indonesia if you are looking for a different playstyle.

2. Continents is probably the most balanced and realistic, but don't be hesitant to try small continents for slightly more naval importance.

3. I have a laptop too, and Standard Size maps are okay until the Modern Era - then the turn times can approach 10 seconds. Try Small if it gets too bad. Then again, mines a laptop i5 so if you have a better processor it may not be an issue.

4. Since you've been playing multiplayer you could probably go up against Emporer or Immortal difficulty, but it largely depends on your opening strategy. Things that work in multiplayer won't necessarily work in SP.

5. I play standard speed, mostly because I don't want to spend more than 8 hours on a game and quick speed's warfare is too good for defenders. Anything above standard, though, makes defending a TON harder.

1) I like playing heavy religion civs like Celtic and Byzantines, but right know im playing as shoshone. for enemies i always put random, all of them ar nice to playing against

2) I like playing more on land maps, usually in "small lands", but right i did a crazy setup with a huge fractal map, with 22 civs and 34 citstates.

3) for a laptop i would go for a more reasonable size map

4) I usually play on standard and king.

5) Marathon takes too long and normal speed is good when you dont have much time. Epic is the one i like the most, it is not as long as marathon but you get to enjoy your UU longer before a new upgrade appear

Questions:
1. What civs are the most fun to play as or against (especially out of the new BNW lineup)?
  • This honestly varies so much that you just have to go with the civs you think you'll like dependent on map-type and Uniques. Personally? I like water civs. So from BNW that's Indonesia, Portugal, and to a lesser extent Venice.
  • Small continents no doubt
  • Standard maps are fine. I play on both my desktop and laptop. The only difference is the loading time gets longer and longer as the game progresses - but not enough that it's detracting from the experience
  • If you assume it's somewhere between Emperor and Deity, start with Deity. Then slowly peg yourself down a level if you find it's overwhelming
  • I prefer Standard to Epic. Most people play Standard but I know a lot of people play Epic as well

1. I've had a lot of fun with Venice, Revamped France, and Zulu. (I like variety so going for diplomatic, cultural, and domination victories respectively.)

2. I almost always play on continents. I find it produces the most variable game and I like being forced, if playing domination, to develop both an army and a navy.

3. Standard seems to work on my laptop just fine (I do have a dedicated graphics card but it's extremely low end.)

4. I'm not that great at Civ 5, but I've been playing one difficulty higher than usual (Emperor v. King). In my opinion, BNW made the game a little bit easier.

5. Standard because, theoretically, I have others things to do in life than play Civ.

Questions:

I prefer versitile Civs. Meaning those who's UA and/or UB/UI can be used for any victory. For example: money and religion Civs. Since Vanilla, my favorite has been Arabia even more so now they are a money AND religion Civ.

I used to play Small Continents a lot, but I feel that the land warfare suffers too much on this map (it's almost irrelevant on some games), as most cities end up being coastal (so a good navy is all you need to conquer in many cases). So now I use Continents. It's more challenging as well, when you have the obligatory runaway Civ to worry about.

Standard is fine. I have an i5 Yoga and it works fine.

For me its emperor, but I may move up to Immortal. BNW seems easier.

I play standard. My games last so long as it is that I couldn't imagine slowing it down.

Questions:
1. What civs are the most fun to play as or against (especially out of the new BNW lineup)? - not sure... each have +'s & -'s. Should def add Zulu & other warlike nations if you want to see any action, tho

2 & 3. Random (Same goes for my own civ)

4. What is the best difficulty to play on? Good to start prince til you get the hang of Culture, Tourism & Trade Routes

5. What is the most fun speed to play at? I love Longer games...Epic & Marathon. Standard seem... weird to me

Indonesia is very interesting and forces you to think about how to actually use the Civ. It has three benefits none of which really line up and at least one of which is time and situation dependent. Plus, random overpowered promotions are just fun.

I've found that this varies. A good small continents map is probably the best but the odds of getting one are not good without a dozen restarts and peeking in WB to find out if it's a nice layout or not. Continents almost always works out pretty well, though never spectacularly so.

Very dependent on your processor but Standard is a good size and, frankly, large enough. I've noticed though that multiplayer is slightly more taxing than single-player so if you're handling small/standard maps in multi fairly well in the end game you could probably go up a size if you're looking for even more space.

Skill dependent but Immortal for me was just right until BNW. Now with BNW it's a fraction too easy and the jump to Deity too much. Emperor is what I'd recommend though if you're feeling skittish about jumping right into Immortal/Deity.

Pre-BNW, Marathon; with BNW, probably Epic.

1. Depends on what I want to achieve, but also I consider civilizations, which I am interested in - to learn about them and their leaders, like Greece, Rome, Germany.
Always putting random opponents.

2. Random map. Nobody knew how the world looked like back then, so do I. Like to make it the most realistic.

3. Random map size. Nobody knew how many were there like them, so do I.
With my i5 processor no problems to play huge map too, though late-game is a bit long between turns.

4. King. Nobody said that life will be easy. But well, I guess, it really depends.

5. Quick, if you think that life is short, Standard, if you think that life is all about standarts, Epic, if you think it is epic, Marathon - only for godkings. :lol:
I am taking this a bit too seriously, am I? :D

I like portugal alot. If you want to trade and do diplomacy and see the world, portugal is fun.

1. Mostly the heavy Culture/tourism civs. Super fun
2. Continents. It just feels the most realistic. You start on a landmass and you have your struggles with everyone there, and in the Renaissance you meet the rest of the world.
3. My laptop can handle Standard, sort of... In the late game there are some stutters and the machine gets really hot lol. Small seems just fine
4. Emperor; not as easy as King, not as incredibly hard as Immortal. (For me, that is)
5. Standard. Just seems like the most balanced.

Top Bottom