Term 1 - Judicial Branch Debates (Chief Justice, Public Defendant, Judge Advocate)

Shaitan

der Besucher
This thread is reserved for Judicial branch candidates that have accepted their nominations. Posts by any other players will be removed. If you have an additional question that you would like to ask the candidates, post it in the Inquisitor's thread and a mod will add it to this thread.

All candidates, please state the position you are running for in your reply.

A two part question, answer briefly please: How do you feel about turn-chats and is your position that they should continue as is, or do you favor the concept of private/closed door turn sessions by the DP?

What qualifications and experience do you have for the position you are running for?

If you were in the role of Judge Advocate or Public Defender, and you found that your personal views conflicted with those responsibilities of your job, (for example, defending someone you feel is guilty), how would you deal with that?

Do you feel it is the Judiciary's responsibility, or right, to create new laws out of existing legislation?

What do you feel the role of the Judiciary should be in the Demo Game?

If you are given the chance to name a city, what would you name it?

Are you familliar with all of our laws?

Do you abide by them?

EDIT: Governor questions were accidentally placed here in the first draft.

Candidate for Judge Advocate and Chief Justice

A two part question, answer briefly please: How do you feel about turn-chats and is your position that they should continue as is, or do you favor the concept of private/closed door turn sessions by the DP?

--While I am unable to attend chat myself as currently scheduled, I have come to acknowledge that this part of our game is a very important component to many. I feel that chat should continue, with reasonable boundaries in place to prevent a small group of chatters from overriding the will of all the populace expressed via the forums.

What qualifications and experience do you have for the position you are running for?

--I am the current Judge Advocate, and have held the position since it's inception. In my time of service to our nation, I have been faced with a myriad of reviews and decisions, and have the experience necessary to deal with game 2.

If you were in the role of Judge Advocate or Public Defender, and you found that your personal views conflicted with those responsibilities of your job, (for example, defending someone you feel is guilty), how would you deal with that?

--I wrote this question for the inquisitors and feel it is important. Recently a PI was held in which I was in the position of prosecuting someone whose opinion I value greatly. Nevertheless it was my job as JA to present the government's case and win a conviction.

That's the key in the judiciary. Sometimes you have to put aside your own opinion on a issue and say: is this constitutional? If so, even if you disagree with the concept, you have to be willing to fulfill you duties.

Do you feel it is the Judiciary's responsibility, or right, to create new laws out of existing legislation?

--No. I think it is the Judiciary's responsibility to clarify rules and laws, but not to cross the line and do the job that is rightly held by the citizens (congress).

--I think the judiciary plays a key role in the balance of power in our government. They should also be a repository of information and answers to questions. They should never been seen as some kind of power hording group.

--New PDX

Do you abide by them?

--I am extremely familiar with the laws of our nation. I abide by them as well.

Bill
...in PDX

Octavian X
Candidate for Chief Justice

Please read my answers to these questions in the executive debates, here.

--The judiciary does not, nor should it create new laws. The creation of laws lays in the hands of the citizenry. The judiciary has no right to force laws uponthe people.

--The role of the judiciary, I believe, is to define our laws, ensure that new laws do not conflict with others, to enforce the law, and to help all the understand our laws.

--St. Mark

--I have a full konwledge of Fanatikan Law. In fact, I just corrected Shaitan...

(Some answers the same as another thread, please bear with me, for the same questions, but maybe I punctuated something differently!)

- I believe the game should be as inclusive as possible. Turn chats can be fun for everyone and helpful for the President. It also nurtures more communication and role playing between the citizens. That said, there is no substitute for being active in the forums between Turn Chats.

- Again, I hang out in the forums day and night. I believe I have the ability to see the bottom of most issues. I am quite familiar with the rules we have.

- This is a very important issue. I think it is important to hold true to the responsibilities of your position. I'd do my best to ensure clear and impartial process is followed.

- I think it is important to keep law creation with the citizens. However, the Judiciary is there as a support and service to ensure nothing conflicts and the interests of all citizens are served.

- To help pass new rules and regulations. To help provide some sort of sanity in the madness. And to assist citizens in times of confusion and need.

- I'm sticking with Dog City.

Are you familliar with all of our laws? Do you abide by them?
- I am rather familiar with all our rules. In fact, I am right in the middle of a 3-week course about the Code of Laws.

(post edited to change Public Defendant to Defender)

The turn chat structure is logistically necessary and democratically appealing as an open-door forum for, at very least, observing our leaders in action. At its' best it is a way for every citizen to participate in the core functions of our government. I am strongly opposed to closed door turn sessions as I think they run counter to the spirit of the demo game.

I have not held a leadership or judiciary post in the previous demogame. (I was a Mayor, and Census Officer). However, I have an interest in seeing that the laws are fairly upheld, and that our citizenry is treated to open, fair, and impartial treatment under our laws. I believe that the spirit of the game, embodied by our laws, allows us to rise above any personal disagreements, and that this was borne out in the first demogame.

All members of the Judiciary must be impartial, thoughtful, and deliberate. Being passionate about the job, but dispassionate about the subject at hand seems like the right mix. I have no problem defending someone who's personal views I disagree with, and have done so in the fora discussions.

No, the Judiciary's role is to interpret and apply the law.

To interpret and apply the law fairly. In doing so, the Judiciary helps to keep our society running smoothly, even in times of disagreement and internal conflict.

In the unlikely event, today I would choose Hassenpfefferhavn.

Yes, and am currently reviewing them.

Do you abide by them?

As far as I know. It is certainly my intent.

There it is then.

Question for younger candidtaes: Hypothetical Situation: You totally fail a math test. You realize that this effects your grade in a big way. Which would you do:
A- Study harder, even if it meant loosing forum time
or
B- Let your grades plumit and continue on with the demogame

How do you stand to the proposal of having very small provinces at the start to get to about 10 governors quick and then redesign the provincial borders for having a solid number of about 10 governors throughout most of the game?
(formerly known as the "provincial growth formula")

Explain in one sentence why the citizens should vote for you instead of your opponents

Originally posted by Shaitan
Question for younger candidtaes: Hypothetical Situation: You totally fail a math test. You realize that this effects your grade in a big way. Which would you do:
or

How do you stand to the proposal of having very small provinces at the start to get to about 10 governors quick and then redesign the provincial borders for having a solid number of about 10 governors throughout most of the game?

Explain in one sentence why the citizens should vote for you instead of your opponents

I'm not sure it is fair to single out the younger players. Us older players are not necessarily better at time management, only the stakes are typically higher. There are times when work will be in crunch mode, or I need to spend time with my wife, or the lawn needs to be mowed. That's life, literally. And it takes precedence. A different question might be, should you need to bow out, what steps would you take to inform the community of this change?

And yes, I am a big fan of the provincial growth formula, or some variant that allows more provincial-level participation earlier in the game.

or

I am only 37, so I think I am young enough to answer the question posed :D

Actually, I think we all have conflicts with life and the demo game, so no matter if it is a math test for some, or a new facility opening for me, the real underlying question here is commitment to the game.

Everyone should devote their priorities in life to those they love and their RL responsibilities. Beyond that, no committment should be made to the citizens of Fanatika unless you can back it up. There is nothing worse than abandonded posts.

I feel my committment to this game has been a demonstrated consistent reliable performance.

As to the provincial growth formula, I am open to the idea, but since this is a judicial thread, I caution that we all need to see the final proposal.

Regarding voting for me, I want folks to vote for me because they like that I have experience in this office, I have demonstrated a good understanding of the rules with fair application, and have performed my duties impartially and without agenda.

Bill

or
--I've never had a B in math, but if this happened, my studies would become my #1 priority. First, I'd cut some TV time, but if necesary, the demogame would have to be reduced.

--I really don't like this proposal. We will have a few clustered provinces at the beginning. But as they spread out, the geographic regions where they started would be somewhere else. This would cause mass confusion. And, if a new province was named for the geographical region it was in was in, the new area it would inhabit wouldn't match the name.

--I have experience in all the branches of government, and a full working knowledge of Fanatik Law, all great qualifiacations for the head of the judicial branch.

I can take or leave turn chats. I think they should be optional with the decision vested inthe president.

I have been the most outspoken proponent of our constitutional rights. I'm also the most investigated citizen in history so I would bring that perspective to the bench. :)

The Judiciary cannot create new laws. It can strike down bad (inconsistent) laws.

The Judiciary should be the stabalizers of the demo game. The Judiciary can bring stability to the demo game by ensuring rule changes remain consistant, rules are consistanly followed and public investigations are fair.

Bremershaven

As best as I can be given the frequency of changes.

Do you abide by them?

I do when they do not conflict with the constitution.

or

I'm 41 so I claim exemption from the first question. ;)

I am against the redesigning of provincial borders. I think our provinces should remain as is once formed so that they can develope their own histories and identities. There are better ways to accomplish having more governors quicker.
One way is to divide the area around the capitol city into sectors. Let's use quadrants for example. Each quadrant would be a province. Rather than having one core province around the capital that is super productive compared to all outlying provinces we'd have four provinces that would be pretty much equal production and corruption-wise.

Citizens should vote for me for Chief Justice because I would protect their constitutional rights as no one else would. :)

Heh. Bill's 37, donsig's 41, and I'm 40. Is this some unwritten pre-req for the judiciary?

Don't know that they should. Citizens should weigh all candidates and vote on who they feel will best represent their, and the game's, interests.

I have answered most of these quetions in the governor debates, but I can repeat myself.

How do you feel about turn-chats and is your position that they should continue as is, or do you favor the concept of private/closed door turn sessions by the DP?
I think open turn chats are absolutely fundamental in the democratic process and should never be sacrifised or substituted for anything, lest it be even more open and democratic! As to whether the judiciary should attend, this is not as important. Though it is often the case that members of the judiciary can give advise on a wide range of legal and gamplay issues.

I have only been a member of the Senate before, but I have been actively involved in all the legal debates of this and the previous game for as long as I have been involved. I have also once corrected Shaitan. Currently I am studying Law at University.

If you were in the role of Judge Advocate or Public Defender, and you found that your personal views conflicted with those responsibilities of your job, how would you deal with that?
I have no morals. Nah, but I do believe that everyone deserves the best legal council the state can provide and to do any less, even if you believe your client to be guilty, is to do the law a dis-service. Conversely, it is not the personal will of the JA that decides when a trial should be actioned, but that of the people, from whom all judicial power is ultimately derived.

The judiciary has a role in interpreting legislation, but it cannot create law out of nothing. The judiciary should always be mindful of what the congress had in mind when writing a law.

The role of the Judiciary is two-fold. To offer advise and guide the actions of players so that they remain within the limit of the law and to prosecute those who disobey the law. Each judiciary member has specific trial responsibilities that must be upheld, even if the individual finds that unpalateable.

Something in keeping with the nameing in that province.

Yes. Definately.

Do you abide by them?
As far as I (or anyone else ;)) is aware. I think it is very improtant to have respect for the rules governing the demo-game, even when you do not agree with them.

or

I seem to be the only one that qualifies to answer this :)
I would not let the demogame distract me from anything vital in my life, but I spend far more time here than watching TV or studying!! Couldn't ask for a better way of procrastinating. In fact, I have an essay due in tomorrow that I haven't started and I'm still here answering this question (truth!)

Originally posted by Danke
Heh. Bill's 37, donsig's 41, and I'm 40. Is this some unwritten pre-req for the judiciary?

Once again the demo game mimics RL!

Nor am I. Probably makes me the enfant terrible of the Judiciary. Well I hope so anyway, I always liked that phrase :D

Top Bottom