terra map

What exactly is this? I've seen some comments here that all civs are on original continent, and only CSs on one or more continents elsewhere. Sounds like a new world scenario, but that is not how it is described in the set up.

There's a huge difference between New World Scenario and Terra Map. one is a Scenario, the other a map script.

The Terra Map Script creates two seperate continents, similiar to the Continents except if I recall one is actually bigger in size (than usual) and that the Terra forces each AI/Human player to start on the same continent leaving the other continent "the New World"

The New World is a pre-set time-limited scenario with unique rules and victory conditions... which I'm sure you know wwhat I'm talking about.

I've been playing Terra maps since G&K, so i'll tell you what I know.

Like TheKingOfBigOz said its a map script, not a scenario.

Basically all major civs start on one continent while there is "uninhabited" continents (number and size vary).

The new world will usually have a majority of the city-states on the map, while the old world will have few to no city-states.

A note; is that most ai's will not colonize very much if at all

The strategies you could use is:

The Explorer, where you build a nice little empire and once you get caravels you focus on the new world, becoming a superpower thanks to resources. This strategy became preferable after BNW since you can supply your colonies with food & production.

The Imperialist, this strategy is where you either conquer/settle alot of your original continent, and then colonize alot of the new world. Usually you will be a significant power and then gain power, or you will already be a powerhouse, and then become OP or just not have to colonize much.

The Capitalist, this strategy is basically; Step 1: Colonize and work resources. Step 2: Trade extra lux's and useless strategic resources. Step 3 ?????. Step 4: Profit.

Polynesia, since polynesias ability allows them to colonize instantly, they have their own set of strategys.

Isolationist: Just send your settlers and warrior off until you hit new land and bam, you have your own continent, aside from city-states. You will also have barbarian trouble and alot of people say this will make you a powerhouse, but its boring. Its up to you

"I don't need this continent", this strategy involves you settling your capital in the old world, and then exploring the new world and settling it, not as isolated as the first but still very focused on the new world, but not as risky.

Half-Explorer/Half-Imperialist, this strategy involves you settling normally and choosing the option of whether or not to colonize, much more of a "normal" game, but not utilizing polynesia's full potential.

There is much more to talk about but this is already probably too long. I hope I helped and gave you some useful strategies and information.

Interesting- thanks. I usually don't like the scenarios, but like the idea of a game where there is good land to settle after the initial rush, so will have to give it a go.

Yup, terra sounds very fun in principle, but in practise the AI just doesn't settle on the new continent enough to make the gameplay feel like how it was intended to feel, and it just ends up being a small pangea with too many civs packed in, and a load of bonus land to make the game easier for the human. Would be so much more fun if you could get the AI to fight for the new land.

Are there any other civs to load for AIs other than Polynesia that make it worth playing? I would love something that mimied 1500-1700 Europe, with a fight for the new world - not a scenario, which never seem to work, but a legit fight for the new world.

I played this script few times, I like the idea but as said above, AI will not colonize the New World as we expect to do. At least, they will found few cities in Industrial era and later. It was in vanilla, so perhaps it changed since.
Maybe the AI could be forced to expand on the second continents by increasing the numbers of civ (less room on the old world) or picking some expansionist fellas that love to fill.every.single.remote.island whit a city (Bismarck, Catherine, Hiawatha..)
You could play Spain, beeline astronomy and rush your caravels to discover NW first. Don't forget the new continent is filled with barbarians, so send a small army and gain influence toward CS by doing their quests (clearing camps)

If the new world is filled with barbarians then I could see the Aztecs having a lot of fun over there gaining tons of culture off barbarian kills.

With terra map you have a new world and an old world where civilizations usually start in. The earth map will start you anywhere in the earth map and the scenario is a scenario.

Are there any other civs to load for AIs other than Polynesia that make it worth playing? I would love something that mimied 1500-1700 Europe, with a fight for the new world - not a scenario, which never seem to work, but a legit fight for the new world.

Austria has a huge advantage when getting a presence on the new continent. Buys city state and it's army.

Top Bottom