[BTS] The 3GB Switch will change your life forever

MadeofMeat

Chieftain
I am a tremendous fan of Civ 4, and especially its many total conversion mods and modmods such as Fall From Heaven 2, PIE's Ancient Europe, Rhye's and Fall, and A New Dawn, to name a few. I've easily logged over a thousand hours. And I've been lurking this site since before 4 came out. Yet somehow it's not until about 20 minutes ago that I learned about the "Windows 3GB Switch". I just tried it out. My Civ4's performance on Windows 10 instantly went from the typical horrendously sluggish to lightning fast on a huge-map late-game save with the typical zillions of units.

I cannot fricking believe I went through a decade of unnecessary suffering because this information isn't well publicized.

To flip the switch, run CMD.EXE as administrator. Do do this on Windows 10 I type Windows-R, then CMD, then Enter. At the command prompt, type: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072

That's it.

If you want a technical explanation of what this is doing, look at https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ts-and-feedback.344523/page-239#post-10569476

Sorry for bumping a year-old thread, but I'd just like to ask two questions about this:

1) Is this safe (as in it won't cause any issues with the OS or any programmes I might want to run)?

2) Does this actually work? Does it improve Civ 4's performance, and make playing later eras on huge maps less time-consuming?

Thanks.

Top Bottom