The Aztecs in the Brave New World

I decided to try this barbarian gold/culture farm strategy, so i played terra/earth (the one map with an empty new world continent). Forgot to take aztecs and rolled Spain instead. Finished Honor, now im on the Industrial era, and i have so far 4 'farms' (groups of frigates near barbarian huts, bombing everything that spawn). They usually spawn caravels and muskets, but sometimes archers and triremes. One of those huts is near a city state, every barbarian killed gives me 12 influence with them. Im planning new farms, but so far those 3 farms are giving me 40 gold/culture/turn.

I think it doesn't pays for itself in terms of gold (all those frigates are costing me upkeep), but i think it will get better once i upgrade to battlecruisers and the barbarians start spawning some strong stuff. The extra culture is really nice, would be NICER with aztecs for sure. But the amount of mouse and keyboard clicks i have to do every turn to keep this farming going is REALLY annoying, by far the most boring BNW game so far for me.

In a recent game I got crazy lucky and rolled a hilly river start next to a mountain with 2 sources of fish, 2 sources of Salt, and Marble accessible within 3 tiles, plus 5 or 6 desert tiles within radius. I was able to snatch up Temple of Artemis and Hanging Gardens along with Petra, as well as Oracle as a "why not" since it only cost around 7 turns. If not for the fact that I was hemmed in by Babylon to the north I would have steam rolled. Maybe still will once I can bring Nebs down. I don't remember exactly but I think I had around 25-30 population when the next biggest city was at around 14. :D

The other interesting thing about that game is that because Babylon's capitol was so close to me and basically created a nasty chokepoint for the continent, my access to Barbarians was very limited. I only was able to find and fight one camp. But Babylon's units did just fine as sacrifices. I declared war on them at around turn 20 once I realized barbarian opportunities were low. I completely skipped the Honor and did a more traditional full Tradition then two policies out of Patronage. I probably only got one extra policy out of it compared to other civs, but the timing was pretty good.

Top Bottom