The balance of Europeans

Imagawa99

Chieftain
After playing a few games i have come to the definate conclusion that some of the euro powers are significantly better than others. So in order of ability...

1. The Dutch
The merchantman is a great bonus to have at the start, if for no other reason than it allows you to quickly locate the other euros and pop their colonys, at the same time giving you enough space to collect their pioneers :lol: I find this very handy
I dont trade with Europe at all, short of buying guns and horses to sell and i rarely get tax demands so the other abilitys are somewhat irrelevant, but where the Dutch score big is +25% hammers... you really cant go wrong with this, great for chasing FFs as well as quick development, its just such a huge advantage and its got them the number 1 spot

2. The French
It was a very close thing for me between the Dutch and French, they are my favourite power to play. I never burn a single native settlement as the French, the ability to live alongside the natives is most helpful. Play sensibly and native attacks are rare indeed, lessening the need to spend gold in the early game building up enough millitary to impress the natives as the other powers need to. 100% conversion rate and -50% time to learn a native skill means the French can increase their population faster than any other power. Often the first thing i do as the french is, as soon as i have an immigrant to put in my first colony, empty out all the free colonists as missionarys and get things off to an early start, it soon pays dividends. Expert farmers are my favourite target. Bartolome de las casas is the first religious FF adding another +50% conversion rate, a flood of converts follows. It can be quite difficult sometimes to actually go rebel when your population is increasing from many missions in the late game

3. The Spanish
I have to say i am less enthusiastic about the Spanish, their bonuses really arnt that helpful. +25% vs natives... hmm well, its not like the natives are that hard to kill anyway if you really want to and often as not they are more use to you alive. In addition to this, waging war on the natives in the early game is really more trouble than its worth - it interfears with your exploration, denies you gifts and threatenes your gold trains, not to mention that gold spent on cannons and guns could be put to far more use in other ways. I just feel that the bias of the game is against the Spanish in this respect. +100% of liberty effect is ok i spose, but nothing you cant get by without and -50% xp requirements for promotion, again nothing you cant get by without. I guess these 2 bonuses are why i have them in 3rd and not 4th because they can have an easy time against the REF if they have a number of high level upgraded troops. Trouble is that if you waste too much time messing about conquering natives you can often make things more difficult for yourself and ultimately lower your score

4. The English
The poor English! Their main strength is gimped. -25% crosses required for immigration. Sure they get a rush of immigrants at the start, but b4 not too long things settle down and even if your using preachers after a while the immigrants stop just like for any other power and worse, in a game that you (at least i do) buy the majority of your immigrants as experts and dont wait for them to turn up by themselfs. The French seem to have stolen their game as the big population power. -50% soldier equipment... well it could save you if your in a hole i guess but its really not that difficult to stockpile large quantitys of guns. +25% bells does seem a little useful, it means a fast transition to 50% and a smaller REF and i can see how it would allow you to turn a larger population, if only the English could get immigrants faster they migth have one :(
Even as i type this i can see how the English should be a very strong power but it just never seems to turn out that way, also i swear they get the worsed random maps of all the powers, bah maybe i just dont know how to play them

anyway, discuss.... :mischief:

Odd. My Ranking is reverse. (+ i did not get the feeling that it would really matter)

I mostly picked the English because I want the population early. To build industry and make money to buy more of everything.

You can make 40000 gold easy just from buying guns and horses off the docks in europe and selling to the natives, and thats before you cash any of your gold trains in
With that much money around i find the English bonus is completely irrelevant, its easy to buy the experts you need as you need them

The +25% hammers is nice, but I'd put French on #1 (not because I am French but because I believe natives should be preserved as they are the only alternative to the Zero Tax Strategy and French are the ones who best benefit from keeping natives around).

For me the best ones are Dutch and Spanish, the third is English and the worst is French.

With Dutch I can trade more with Europe what is needed. Indians run out of gold quickly and then trading with them is not profitable. More gold, more cannons/SoL-s.

Spanish are good for fighting REF, the main bonus I don't care at all. I do not start wars against them but if they declare on me then 1) -50% experience requirement is good for training my troops. Indians are more challence than the fellow europeans. Also exploring experience is vital. But another strategy with Spanish are to start with liberty bells and then make SoL-s to defeat Man-o-Wars. If you have +100% LB effect vs king and you have 100% Rebels then your troops are unstoppable.

English are nice for early population, later it doesn't matter. Good for playing defensively, cheap soldiers. LB bonus with the other leader is good too, you get quicker Rebels up.

French maybe doesn't fit with my playstyle but too much Converts means too much executions because in certain point I don't need them at all. They bring rebel percentage down.

Top Bottom