Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Lord of the Rings (any one)

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Citizen Kane

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (put down below

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
I already gave my vote to TSR, but best blockbuster (something everybody and their dog wanted to see) was The Fellowship of the Ring for me.
We were all happy with the movie as well..

there are movies I admire or respect, but don't want to watch again

My candidate for this is Empire of the Sun. I was so completely emotionally wrung out by the end of that, I just sat in my seat in the theatre for a couple of minutes. I literally could not find the energy to get up and leave. At that moment I knew that while this movie was powerful and beautiful and horrible all at the same time, I'd never be able to watch it a second time.

To this day, I never have.

Of the ones on the list, I've only seen Battleship Potemkin, which is also the older movie I've ever seen (1905). I was a poor college student and it was out of copyright and thus free. It did not leave a strong impression either way, though I did finish the whole film. I suppose that's fairly good for a silent film without Charlie Chaplin in the 21st century.

I haven't seen enough movies yet, and more specifically enough movies often considered to be potential best movies, to have a real "best" nomination, and at any rate I am unlikely to care about artistic merit or especially artistic creativity as much as actual movie critics. I'm also highly likely to prefer movies where I leave the movie feeling like it was an experience, and and enjoyable experience. The two films that come to mind right away are Terminator 2: Judgement Day and Mad Max: Fury Road. Closely followed by Die Hard. Are these the best films ever made? Probably not. But would I recommend them to someone who has even a little bit of liking of action films and be confident they'd enjoy them? Absolutely.

In terms of emotionally impactful films... I tend to find that a longer-running TV series with more time to develop the characters usually hits harder. Plus, I'm often not in the mood for a heavy film, but if you rope me in with something that's interesting and fascinating for a season or two and then hit me with the whallop, at that point I'm already watching. Although I still recall Requiem for a Dream as hitting hard in this area, despite it having been over a decade since I saw it.

The Siege of Mandalore Arc of the Clone wars series, technically not a movie and probably don't work as a stand alone thing, but the 4 episodes together still have a length of 80 minutes or so which is comparable in length to the actual the clone wars movie. Honestly this arc is the peak of Star Wars and hit me harder emtionally than anything else I've ever seen.

Top Bottom