The LONGEST canal I have ever seen

papakapp

Chieftain
I don't know how common this is, I have never seen it before. I was going for a diplo win, half the world was Jewish like me and half the world was Buddhist, Except Gandhi. He was the red headed stepchild that everybody beat up on cause he was Hindu.

I looked at Gandhi's land and saw a unique feature, there was a dotted line of small lakes that went right through. If only I could build forts there I could sail right through!

Spoiler :

So, like America moving in to Panama, building the canal they wanted, and then giving it back to panama, I beat the crap out of Gandhi until he vassaled to me. Then I could build forts in his land and create my canal :goodjob: I also have all his cities back. Oh, and I learned that I had to camp like 4 workers on 2 of the tiles because Gandhi kept putting farms there and I had to keep putting my forts back.

I already had a canal of my own (incidentally, does anybody know of a mod that would have let me build naval units in Canterbury? The game did not recognize it as a port town)
Spoiler :

but it didn't do any good because Boudica build her town in the wrong spot
Spoiler :

She should have moved it East one tile. Clearly I had to persuade Boudica to let me build a fort sort of down and right of her city. But we were friendly and declaring war on her would upset everybody that otherwise would have given me the diplo win. Oh well, I NEED my canal, WAR!>Vassal>give back all the cities>camp 4 workers on that tile so I can keep building forts as needed.
And the grand North to south canal was finished somewhere around the year 1950
Spoiler :

If anybody knows if it's possible to run a canal through this spot, let me know
Spoiler :
I don't think there is because there are two tiles between two cities (circled)

Something seems off about the fact that you are able to put ships in fortresses on mountains...
In fact I am pretty positive you shouldn't be allowed to do that.

Something seems off about the fact that you are able to put ships in fortresses on mountains...
In fact I am pretty positive you shouldn't be allowed to do that.

Actually, you can do that if you've got locks all the way up the mountain; in theory, you can go up as high as you want.

Actually, you can do that if you've got locks all the way up the mountain; in theory, you can go up as high as you want.

I want a [lake] tile improvement so that I can dig canals to all my cities

If anybody knows if it's possible to run a canal through this spot, let me know

The criterion is: naval units can enter cities and forts that are adjacent to a lake or coast tile. So what you ask is not possible in an unmodded game :(

I think a mod that would enable building naval units in lake cities as well as proper coastal cities would need DLL modification (to make it in a way that you can build them in lake cities but not totally landlocked cities) so you're probably not likely to find one. If you know your C++ it should be fairly easy to make it yourself though :)

I'm pretty impressed with the canal system you have in place. No need to mess with it, I say! Good work

Lol, that's pretty cool.

In vanilla civ you can build naval units in lake cities. I've done it before to ferry units across a lake that was guarded on both sides by big stacks. (Mao didn't see that coming did he? :lol:) I took over half of his land and he could've prevented the whole thing by stationing a Destroyer in the middle of a lake. :p

Amazing how one unit can save your butt.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, what kind of map is that? Pangaea or Inland Sea? (Or something else maybe?)

That's crazy.

I like it.

Top Bottom