The Next Colonization game (colonization 3)

drwcody

Chieftain
I have written the Colonization development team at 2k games about producing another colonization game. As Im sure you probably know, Civ 4 Col is the result of heavy pressure from fans to develop another Colonization game.

I ask all current players to contact 2k games and request yet another Colonization game!

This is the reply sent to me by 2k games...

Raul G, Apr 18 05:59 (PDT):

Hey Andrew,
Thank you for contacting 2k Support, and many apologies for taking so long to get back to you. At the moment we have no information on any Colonization game coming out, but I will definitively tell our team that there is interest for another one."
http://www.facebook.com/2kgames
Best regards, and thanks for your support.
Raul G

You may contact 2k about making the next Colonization game at.... support@2k.com

Lets make it known that There is a huge fan base for this game and we'd love to see more done with the series! And feel it makes sense for 2k games to pursue the next
installment.

Thankyou TAC team for MANY hours of great games :)

Not going to happen. I know for fact that 2K won't authorise any game development unless they know they'll sell more than 2 million copies. It's not worth the investment otherwise.

C4C sold around half a million. A long way off the target.

Hi Dale, good to see you back on this forum. What games are you playing/working on/following now?

Not going to happen. I know for fact that 2K won't authorise any game development unless they know they'll sell more than 2 million copies. It's not worth the investment otherwise.

Maybe if they'd built a better game they would have sold more copies. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm still playing Col occasionally and still enjoying it but I know it's just a good game when it could have been a great game.

Hi Dale, good to see you back on this forum. What games are you playing/working on/following now?

Hey dalgo! :)

At present I'm not really playing anything. Well....... :blush: .......... okay I'll admit it. Farming Simulator 2013. :lol:

I've actually got a game currently being developed. It's a game that takes its heart from Imperialism II (from the 90's) blended with Colonization and Europa Universalis. By mid next year it should be entering beta, with commercial release before the end of next year. :)

That's good to hear. Imperialism II is one of my favourite games - for the strategy side of the game (resource gathering, industry etc) rather than the actual combat. Do you have a working title yet, I'll keep an eye out for it.

That's good to hear. Imperialism II is one of my favourite games - for the strategy side of the game (resource gathering, industry etc) rather than the actual combat. Do you have a working title yet, I'll keep an eye out for it.

The working title at the moment is A New World. The game as designed focuses primarily on people and relationships. So resources, industrialisation and diplomacy are very important. War and combat is simply a means to exert influence on an area of the globe to ensure resources, industrial capacity and customers. So the aim should not be to conquer the world, as you'll lose customers. You need some other nations around big enough to demand your industrial goods, and you can't produce so much that you crash the global market (like what Spain did with all the New World gold and silver).

So it's going to be a very in depth thinking-strategy game. :)

whatever
I support OP and sent an email. I know for a fact that selling half a million product is attractive enough for a company :)
And a bit less for someone who s gonna release another strategy game soon ^^

whatever
I support OP and sent an email. I know for a fact that selling half a million product is attractive enough for a company :)

You are right, I must be wrong. :)

Though can you please explain something to me which has me very confused. Two years back I pitched a product to 2K management. It was rejected. I projected potential sales of ~half a million, but was told 2K Games will now only be looking at products that will bring in two million or more sales.

Was 2K wrong in what they told me? :confused:

It was a bit of a bait on my part I must say :)
Well I still hope they get to make a colonization using civ5 engine. I m really fond of the 'one military unit per tile' principle as opposed to the "stack of doom". In my short experience of the game , it seems that the independance war relies a lot on having a huge stack on the right city instead of using terrain to your advantage -as advertised in the FAQ :)

btw do you know how game speed affects gameplay ?:)

Well I still hope they get to make a colonization using civ5 engine. I m really fond of the 'one military unit per tile' principle as opposed to the "stack of doom". In my short experience of the game , it seems that the independance war relies a lot on having a huge stack on the right city instead of using terrain to your advantage -as advertised in the FAQ :)
Well I really prefer the Stack of Doom over 1upt for Civ, but I think that 1upt would actually work better for Colonization where you generally have a lot less units. (at least in my experience) If they made one I'd buy it regardless of what they did, but unfortunately I don't think a lot of people are in the same boat as me. I was pretty disappointed in Civ 4: Colonization, and I have a feeling it may have killed the "series".:sad:

I was pretty disappointed in Civ 4: Colonization, and I have a feeling it may have killed the "series".:sad:

Well, most of us were disappointed with Civ4:Col.
And I also don't believe that there will be an official next Colonization (based on CivV or whatever).

But on the other hand Civ4:Col offers lots of possibilities for modders.
So everybody could create his own "next Colonization". :)

Many times I have seen modders create better games than companies and publishers.

I've been thinking, and I think that if they made an "expansion" for Civ 5 that primarily focused on a "Colonization" official mod they could sell an awful lot of copies if they included a Civilization or two (or three, etc. :D)for the normal Civ 5 game that you can't get anywhere else. (like the DLC's)

Also, as I mentioned I'm a firm believer of the Stack of Doom system but actually think that Colonization would be better with 1upt. I'd think I'd be a lot happier with Civ 5 as a whole if this was implemented.

whatever

You know this how?

Why would you know better than 2k does?

Wouldn't it depend a lot on how much the game cost to produce and market?

I've been thinking, and I think that if they made an "expansion" for Civ 5 that primarily focused on a "Colonization" official mod they could sell an awful lot of copies if they included a Civilization or two (or three, etc. :D)for the normal Civ 5 game that you can't get anywhere else. (like the DLC's)

Also, as I mentioned I'm a firm believer of the Stack of Doom system but actually think that Colonization would be better with 1upt. I'd think I'd be a lot happier with Civ 5 as a whole if this was implemented.

Only if the AI wasn't a brain dead watermelon, and diplomacy actually made sense and wasn't arbitrary :)

Top Bottom