Thoughts on Improving Stations

I think overall, we're all just looking for some ways to incorporate Stations into more aspects of the game than just trade and some early game expansion limiters. Adding some intersections of the game's various landscapes:

Diplomatic
Economic
Expansion

These are the ones that primarily get my attention, with the Artifacts coming in close. But since we don't have all the data on that yet, its hard to say. But introducing something to make Stations more engaging is all I'm really looking for.

At present, if a Station is attacked it defends itself, usually blasting the attacking AI unit down to just a few HP. That attacker then stays put until it has healed, when it attacks again, with the same result. Repeat indefinitely. Surely the Station should be able to attack/destroy a nearby enemy, either next turn or when the Station has healed ?

At present, if a Station is attacked it defends itself, usually blasting the attacking AI unit down to just a few HP. That attacker then stays put until it has healed, when it attacks again, with the same result. Repeat indefinitely. Surely the Station should be able to attack/destroy a nearby enemy, either next turn or when the Station has healed ?

The issue is that they don't have a ranged attack like cities do, while they counterattack any unit that attempts an assault on the Station. Should they get a ranged attack like Cities/Colonies and City States or is there some alternative method to giving them more of a chance? At least in the earlier parts of the game.

Personally I've always hated the city mechanic that damages attacking melee units - ranged units are strong anyway, and it makes them far more dominant.

(Though BE made ranged units actually vulnerable in melee, and I made a mod that all but removed that mechanic.)

Anyway, to the point I'd prefer a security force of units over a ranged city attack.

Just let them spawn units to a cap like Alien nests.

I have a thought on what DefiantMars said(#23). Stations that are attacked and not taken in 3 turns will appeal to the United Society of Space Ranges. (USSR). Within 3 turns the USSR will send a resource pod with a Marine to attack the stations attacker. The station will then (if not destroyed) become a city. The USSR will then start sending out resource pods with marines to attack and pillage surrounding areas. i.e. you now have space barbarians ;) If a station does not get a trade route it will do the same thing at the point that it would normally be abandoned. Late game Civ V combat units would come later so that the raging barbarians would not become weak like the aliens.

Top Bottom