tips for a "Religious Victory"?

>capture the AI cities with great works and then sell the city back to them. You'll make heaps of gold and you'll also accrue less hatred from the AIs

so selling cities back reduces warmonger penalties?

It won't reduce warmonger penalities (as far as I know) but if you take a capital you get additional hatred from that Civ as long as you hold their capital.

Selling it back to them will remove that effect.

It won't reduce warmonger penalities (as far as I know) but if you take a capital you get additional hatred from that Civ as long as you hold their capital.

Selling it back to them will remove that effect.

That's why its a requirement for domination victory. An ai hating a dominant civilization won't get the ai its city back.

btw, how big is liberation bonus?
is it better to liberate a civ after elimination (sell some cities to your next prey civ, then dow and liberate) or leave with a couple of crappy cities?

in the first case they will be more friendly and vote for you in WC, although you'll lose some turns to do the trick
in the second case they will denounce you to the end of the game and wont trade
the question is, to what extent do liberation compensate the wiping-off penalty?

(ideally, OFC they should be finished off by your ally which you dow next and liberate what he has conquered and keep only a capital and maybe a couple of good cities)

btw, how big is liberation bonus?
is it better to liberate a civ after elimination (sell some cities to your next prey civ, then dow and liberate) or leave with a couple of crappy cities?

in the first case they will be more friendly and vote for you in WC, although you'll lose some turns to do the trick
in the second case they will denounce you to the end of the game and wont trade
the question is, to what extent do liberation compensate the wiping-off penalty?

(ideally, OFC they should be finished off by your ally which you dow next and liberate what he has conquered and keep only a capital and maybe a couple of good cities)

Liberation bonuses vary between minor, or major liberation bonuses. Mouse overing a target city can get you to see whether liberating that city will give you a good major liberation bonus or a minor one. Major liberation bonuses would be found more favorable by other civilizations than a minor liberation bonus. Gifting cities also are good strategies because they relieve your civilization from unhappiness and let other civilizations be good with you.

Liberation bonus for eliminated civs (including CS) is major, but you will not have the option to bring a civ back to life if they died while you were at war with them.

Liberation bonus for eliminated civs (including CS) is major, but you will not have the option to bring a civ back to life if they died while you were at war with them.

No, you can't revive civilizations that you destroyed yourself.

As fun as a Holy Warrior + Defender of the Faith/Just War play would be, I've ruled that one out. So that leaves Holy Site + religious buildings. I originally thought that I'd play Byzantium if I took this route, but it occurred to me Egypt might by a viable alternative. For those who have tried, does Egypt's UB lend itself well to a strong Faith-driven path to success? Or does it wind up be more of a supplemental aspect to another route to victory?

What I'm actually asking is if there's a way to pursuit a Cultural Victory primarily using Religion as the driving engine...

As fun as a Holy Warrior + Defender of the Faith/Just War play would be, I've ruled that one out. So that leaves Holy Site + religious buildings.

Okay, so you are back a sacred-sites driven CV. Very workable, and it will not feel like your other CV.

I originally thought that I'd play Byzantium if I took this route, but it occurred to me Egypt might by a viable alternative. For those who have tried, does Egypt's UB lend itself well to a strong Faith-driven path to success? Or does it wind up be more of a supplemental aspect to another route to victory?

For a SS CV, it is only Byzantium that offers something really unique. But if you get two religious buildings, any civ can work for SS CV. You have a few better-than-average choices, and Egypt is one of them. You mentioned Spain before, but Celts and Ethiopia are also on the short list.

Egypt compared to Byzantium is actually much stronger civ. You get a very powerful UB that is essentially a free 'Religious Center' and a really uber 'Monument to the Gods' belief. So really Egypt gives you 2 free supercharged beliefs.

Byzantium on the other hand gives you 2 almost worthless UUs and 1 extra religious belief but you get to choose what you have.

Otherwise you can choose Maya. They also have a boost to faith output and can get a free Great Prophet quite early which means you should be able to enhance your religion quickly and use the faith you saved on getting religious buildings quicker.

Top Bottom