Tourism Is Falling

orikos

Praetorian from Orikosia
I play a game with Brazil.
The only way to win the game is cultural victory.
I'm influential in Carthage and in China, but now the tourism in Carthage is falling, and the tourism in China still rising.
Why the tourism falls sometimes?
How can I fix it?

The rising and falling is a function of the net:

Your Tourism - Their Culture

If you have more tourism than the AI player has Culture, you will be rising. If you have lower tourism than the AI player has culture, you will be falling.

To fix this, you can either increase your Tourism or decrease enemy Culture. The second can be accomplished by voting on resolutions which reduce their culture advantage or by conquering their culture focused cities (generally the capital).

If you have more tourism than the AI player has Culture, you will be rising. If you have lower tourism than the AI player has culture, you will be falling.

To fix this, you can either increase your Tourism or decrease enemy Culture. The second can be accomplished by voting on resolutions which reduce their culture advantage or by conquering their culture focused cities (generally the capital).

And what's about "rising slowly" or "falling slowly?"

It's about whether you are closing the gap or the gap growing larger. It's not about tourism rising or falling but your influence with them.

If you are doing strong with one civ but it is falling steadily with another, this usually means you do not have enough positive modifiers increasing your tourism with the other civ (common religion, open borders, trade routes, diplomat in capital etc.).

What I don't get is how you're supposed to win culturally against a 'wide' player that builds a few culture buildings in each city; you can easily skyrocket above 100 culture per turn - how in the world do you catch up to that?

What I don't get is how you're supposed to win culturally against a 'wide' player that builds a few culture buildings in each city; you can easily skyrocket above 100 culture per turn - how in the world do you catch up to that?

Well in the game where I won a culture victory I was generating over between 500-700 tourism after bonuses to every civ at the end. Throw in a couple great musicians and its actually pretty easy to catch up.

I'm not sure if it's that way, or you would be falling all the game with everybody. I think your culture is also taken in consideration, aside from tourism.

I'm not sure if it's that way, or you would be falling all the game with everybody. I think your culture is also taken in consideration, aside from tourism.

No your culture is not factored in at all. It just doesn't bother saying it is falling if your tourism level is Unknown because it can't go below that.

100 CpT is really not much end game. Also remember that tourism gets additional modifiers to your "base" on a per civ basis like 25% for open boarders for example. By end game with internet 600 or 700 tourism isn't hard to reach and when you add modifiers, 1000 on civs is easily feasible. Unless they are doing 1000 CpT, you will eventually catch up to them.

Regarding the rising/falling. Its completely based on the % influence change. 1 tourism per turn compared to someone gaining 50 culture per turn will still show rising on the graph if you are just starting out at 0 tourism. Basically your influence can reach 2% at 1 tourism to 50 culture per turn so until it gets to that point, it will show rising.

About the only times it will ever show falling is if someone just burned a writer for culture. Since the large change lowered your influence %, it will show falling for that one turn. If its over multiple turns it means they are prob under a golden age and thus the % is going down slightly.

Like for example.
You generate 50 tourism and have generated 6000 tourism so far. Against someone generating 150culture per turn and has a total culture of 24000. Assume no modifiers to tourism against that civ. Right now you stand at an influence level of 25% (6000/24000). Your current theoretical max influence is 33.3% (50/150).

Next Turn assuming values per turn stay the same, its 6050 tourism to 24150 culture. Your influence has risen to 25.05%. 9 More turns pass with no change and its now 6500 to 25500 (influence has risen to 25.49%).

Now the next turn the culture civ entered a golden age and had a few culture buildings finish. Their culture per turn rose to 200. So on that turn, the levels would be 6550 to 25700. Your influence actually fell to 25.48%. Thats because your theoritical max has fallen from 33.3 (50/150) down to 25% (50/200) so your influence will fall towards that point until you either increase your tourism or in the above case, their golden age ends.

The changes are more pronouced when you factor in the modifiers as say you had open boarders and the deal ended, you just lost 25% tourism being generated to that civ so their CPT could outstrip your modified tourism influence.

And what's about "rising slowly" or "falling slowly?"

I've never seen "falling slowly", but have seen "rising slowly" a lot.
For "Rising slowly", it means that while your tourism per turn get is lower than their culture, it's both high enough (and the next threshold low enough) that you are making process (albeit slow) towards the next threshold.

It only takes 10% to reach exotic; so if you have 12% of the tourism per turn that their culture per turn is but are currently unknown, you are indeed rising slowly.

So tourism can backslide? You can drop down from being "Exotic" back to "Unknown"?

You can drop, however I am not convinced it matters.

I had a civ who I was influential with and then dropped down to popular then went back to influential.

The game didn't tell me when I was influential with them again so I am not sure if you just need to get influential with them once, or actually keep it. Both of my culture victories I have been influential with everyone when I won.

Top Bottom