Tourism Theming Bonuses?

Athenaeum

Prince
I am fairly new to the DLC and just took a look at the tourism victory. Apparently you can up your tourism by "theming bonuses", which is where you combine similar works in the same city.

How can you tell which works will give theming bonuses when combined together?

If you go to the Culture Overview screen, you will see multi-great work slots in some buildings, followed by a +0. The tooltip for the +0 will tell you what combination of works is required for that building's theming bonus - e.g., Great Works of Writing fromdifferent eras and civilizations different from the city owner, Great Works of Art from the same era and same civilization. Shift works from one building to another to try to match the requirements. If you have mis-matched works and/or need different civ's works, you can trade like works (art for art, writing for writing, artifact for artifact) for other Civs works - go to the trade screen in Culture Overview.

When you get tourism theming bonuses right, you get a +2 or +4 next to the building that you're trying to match theming bonuses in. You don't always get a higher theming bonus like sometimes you get +1 because you didnt' match the bonuses good enough and sometimes you get +2 because you matched the required works correctly. A museum, for example, requires a pair of great works of art or a pair of great works of artifact that are of same civilization and same era matched in a museum will get you the maximum tourism from the theming bonus (i.e. museum of medieval era random civilization of art).

The hardest one is, I think, the Louvre. It requires 2 works of art and 2 artifacts, all from different eras and civilizations. It also gives one of the largest bonuses (+8). Oddly enough, I sometimes have trouble filling that ones that require multiple artists from the same era and civilization, because I advance in tech too quickly to make a bunch of artworks in the same era.

One trick to get around this is to save Great Artists (or Writers or Musicians) if you know you're about to change eras. The great work is dated from the era it was created, not the era the great person was born. This same trick won't really work for the Great Musician tourism bomb though... the tourism they produce is fixed when they are generated and doesn't scale, so saving GMs from the Medieval or Renaissance era just for a late-game tourism boost would be a waste.

Louvre isn't hardest. I rate as worst to get Uffizi and Hermitage, because those specifically require 3 works of art, not artifacts. Generally I burn most artists for golden ages instead, and go for theming only from Louvre and museums. Louvre gives only +4, unless you are playing as France, or did Aesthetics.

The hardest one is, I think, the Louvre. It requires 2 works of art and 2 artifacts, all from different eras and civilizations. It also gives one of the largest bonuses (+8). Oddly enough, I sometimes have trouble filling that ones that require multiple artists from the same era and civilization, because I advance in tech too quickly to make a bunch of artworks in the same era.

One trick to get around this is to save Great Artists (or Writers or Musicians) if you know you're about to change eras. The great work is dated from the era it was created, not the era the great person was born. This same trick won't really work for the Great Musician tourism bomb though... the tourism they produce is fixed when they are generated and doesn't scale, so saving GMs from the Medieval or Renaissance era just for a late-game tourism boost would be a waste.

Don't burn your Artists until you have enough to fulfill the "role". So if the bonus requires 3 works fromt he same era just wait until you have 3 seperate Great Artists available (units) and create works on the same turn, Great Works Era is based upon the creation of it and not the birth of the Artist.

Louvre isn't hardest. I rate as worst to get Uffizi and Hermitage, because those specifically require 3 works of art, not artifacts. Generally I burn most artists for golden ages instead, and go for theming only from Louvre and museums. Louvre gives only +4, unless you are playing as France, or did Aesthetics.

Ah, right. I don't think I've ever built Louvre in a game where I didn't take Aesthetics, so I basically just assume the +8 bonus. It is true that if for some reason you don't have Aesthetics complete you will only get +4. As for whether Uffizi or Louvre is harder, some of that depends on how successful you are at finding artifacts within/near your borders (or poaching AI's sites).

Don't burn your Artists until you have enough to fulfill the "role". So if the bonus requires 3 works fromt he same era just wait until you have 3 seperate Great Artists available (units) and create works on the same turn, Great Works Era is based upon the creation of it and not the birth of the Artist.

I think that's what I just said. Good advice, though.

Top Bottom