[BNW] Trade Issue - AI asking for last copy of resource?

cranium1

Chieftain
So form what I understand, the AI will not ask for your last copy of a luxury resource in a trade, correct? At least this has been my experience so far. This allows me to safely trade away without checking if it's my last copy of a resource or not.

However, I think this check is performed only once at the beginning of the turn for all the AI players. This can lead to a situation where I might have 2 copies of a resource at the beginning of a turn, the AI realises that I have an extra copy and two civs will come asking for it on the same turn resulting in me giving away all copies. This mostly happens when an existing trade is expiring which frees up an extra copy.

Does anyone else experience this? If so, how do you manage this? I mostly play very large maps with 40+ Civs so tracking each resource copy would be very tedious. For example, in my current game, I have 23 resource trades currently active.

Happens to me sometimes as well. I just avoid trading luxuries during the AIs' turns.
I use EUI, which does a good job of keeping track of your luxuries.

So form what I understand, the AI will not ask for your last copy of a luxury resource in a trade, correct?

Once you have traded a luxury to the AI, it will potentially ask to renew the deal, even if this would mean taking your last copy. Note that they can ask to renew deals that have already expired, in which case you may have now traded that copy to someone else.

Furthermore, in the case where they are asking to renew a previously expired deal, there is a bug that means that if you click on the resource to see the number available, it will add one to the actual number you have! If you are using EUI, you can mouse over the leader to see it the deal is current and expiring this turn (so the number available is correct) or previously expired (when the number available is wrong).

If you wait until your own turn to trade, you can avoid these pitfalls, but you may miss out on a turn of revenue or traded happiness (with loss of science, growth and production if this takes you below zero). Also, I think there are circumstances where you may miss out on a desirable trade because it is no longer available on your turn.

Furthermore, in the case where they are asking to renew a previously expired deal, there is a bug that means that if you click on the resource to see the number available, it will add one to the actual number you have!

Exactly! I observed this shortly after posting my message. Anyway, I have now got the Vox Populi mod which includes EUI so going to test that out.

Thanks, guys!

I know Vox Populi fixes various bugs; I would be interested to know if this one is fixed in that mod.

...there is a bug that means that if you click on the resource to see the number available, it will add one to the actual number you have! If you are using EUI, you can mouse over the leader to see it the deal is current and expiring this turn (so the number available is correct) or previously expired (when the number available is wrong)...

Thanks for that, I use EUI but it never occured to me to check in the trade screen.

Top Bottom