Tribute Page for Civ V

finminer

Chieftain
With Civ VI coming out, I thought it would be appropriate to pay tribute to Civ V and all the enjoyment and happiness (along with anger and head-banging frustration) that it has brought us. I'm a long-time gamer, a war game strategist from way back, an original Civ player with my original 1991 software in its box. I've played its medieval ancestors, Avalon Hill cardboard counter games, and the famed Empire (aka Classic Empire) in the late '80's, and all the Sid Meier games I could get my hands on. I've played every Civ incarnation along the way, but none of them as much as I have played Civ V. It has been my faithful companion since it came out, and has pulled me through some dark times, including 6 months of rehab for two knee replacement surgeries. A few other games have entered my purview, and I've taken breaks here and there for excellent games like Skyrim, but I've always come back because nothing beats it. Now you can argue over its merits as compared to II, III or IV, and you can lament that it could have been better in some areas, but what game could you NOT argue over like that, and what game sucks you back in like this one does? The development team deserves huge credit for updating it and addressing its issues with major changes in gameplay in its later stages, keeping it alive and kicking for a full, long life. Late in its life, I discovered this forum and the HOF, where I started trying gauntlets and GOTM's and trying to learn how the real experts can do it so well. While I have learned a tremendous amount, I still can't execute like they do, but I have had hours of fun trying. And I will be learning from the start on Civ 6. So let's all pause for a moment of silence, then give a rousing cheer for our companion who will take his/her place in Valhalla in a few short weeks! Hail Civ V!

I'll tell you the truth. At first I was upset about Civ V. However, over time it grew on me and became a great game. Especially after BNW came out. I began modding it which was a headache at times but worthwhile in the end. Of course I had plenty of help on the way. Mostly from LeeS, who taught me pretty much what I know about modding. Now with Civ VI coming out, I hope I can have the same experience with that version as I have had with V.

With Civ VI coming out, I thought it would be appropriate to pay tribute to Civ V and all the enjoyment and happiness (along with anger and head-banging frustration) that it has brought us. I'm a long-time gamer, a war game strategist from way back, an original Civ player with my original 1991 software in its box. I've played its medieval ancestors, Avalon Hill cardboard counter games, and the famed Empire (aka Classic Empire) in the late '80's, and all the Sid Meier games I could get my hands on. I've played every Civ incarnation along the way, but none of them as much as I have played Civ V. It has been my faithful companion since it came out, and has pulled me through some dark times, including 6 months of rehab for two knee replacement surgeries. A few other games have entered my purview, and I've taken breaks here and there for excellent games like Skyrim, but I've always come back because nothing beats it. Now you can argue over its merits as compared to II, III or IV, and you can lament that it could have been better in some areas, but what game could you NOT argue over like that, and what game sucks you back in like this one does? The development team deserves huge credit for updating it and addressing its issues with major changes in gameplay in its later stages, keeping it alive and kicking for a full, long life. Late in its life, I discovered this forum and the HOF, where I started trying gauntlets and GOTM's and trying to learn how the real experts can do it so well. While I have learned a tremendous amount, I still can't execute like they do, but I have had hours of fun trying. And I will be learning from the start on Civ 6. So let's all pause for a moment of silence, then give a rousing cheer for our companion who will take his/her place in Valhalla in a few short weeks! Hail Civ V!

Wow, does THAT close a circle for me!

In the '70s my dad and I played thousands of hours of Avalon Hill's Panzer Leader. (Just ran upstairs and looked - I still have it in its original box.) I moved to Far Far Away in the '80's, and I don't remember ever playing with him again.

And then, a couple of years ago my son (@pidgey_op) gave me V for my 60th. Couldn't figure Civ out for a while, but then found Carl's Guide and this site. And now, once again, I am back to thousands of hours of - Man, I love this game!

And @pidgey_op - your papa would have loved it, too.

The map art for Civ V is gorgeous. I love the way sunlight glints off the surface of marshes or ocean waves. Sometimes I will just stop playing for a minute and watch the "Fur" resource foxes chase each other, or the "Whales" breach and spout water. The only thing that looks wrong is the sea ice - much too simple and blocky, with very straight lines.

What I have seen of the Civ VI art just looks too cartoony, almost like a throwback to the Civ IV art style. I appreciated it at the time as an improvement over III, but now I just prefer the realism of V.

Top Bottom