TSG 224 Opening Actions Thread

Nizef

Emperor
GOTM Staff
This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

- What did you think about before starting the game, what was your approach to this game?
- Where did you settle and what did you build first?
- How did the terrain and map settings affect your early decisions?
- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow and why?
- What Social Policies did you choose?
- What Wonders did you try to get and did you get them?
- Did you get a religion? What religious beliefs did you pick?

Turn 217 and it's time to pick an ideology. Not sure whether to take Freedom or Autocracy. I thought Brazil would get there first because he's ahead in tech and as long as he didn't go Order I would just take the other one. I'm not to the Modern era yet, but I bought 2 factories after having built one in Venice. I have the highest population and I think I'm #2 in science.

Starting location looked great. I did move my warrior to the west before settling in case there was a surprise lurking there, but all I saw was more salt that confirmed it was a good place to settle. Built a scout, started prebuilding a worker, switched to a shrine and then a granary, then finished the worker. Ife helped me get a good pantheon and I chose Earth Mother. I got beat to most early wonders but I did get Temple of Artemis, the Mausoleum, and Sistine Chapel. I'm about to finish Porcelain Tower (at least I think I am.)

Social policies so far were straight Tradition, 2 in Aesthetics, Exploration opener, 2 in Rationalism. Brazil took first place in the Worlds Fair; that hurt. I was a distant second place and nobody else really participated.

There have been a lot of wars to the east. I think Monty killed Dido, and then Pedro declared war and took Tenochtitlan. In my part of the world, things have been strangely peaceful for now. I will need to completely eliminate Brazil in order to win this. He has few if any coastal cities, so it will take battleships with Range accompanied by carriers with triplanes or fighters (with Sortie) and some infantry. So I might prioritize Brandenburg next and forget about Eiffel and Broadway; let Brazil or France build those and then take them later. I think I'm leaning towards Autocracy. I'm screwed if I have no oil, but surely I can at least buy some. I am a little worried that France may backstab me (we have a declaration of friendship) and declare war because for my 3rd city I didn't take the mercantile CS just to my north but the maritime (?) one right beyond it that had copper, so we share a border. Perhaps I should gift him some salt to delay the inevitable war until I'm ready for it... (but I'm not totally unprepared now)

Last edited:
- What did you think about before starting the game, what was your approach to this game?

Never played as Venice. Initial thoughts, wasn't sure if I should rush optics for the GM, or even puppet a CS at all; would a puppeted city be worth having, given that they tend to slow your science and culture down as opposed to increasing them? Can I grow the capital enough on OCC to forgo feeding myself trade route(s)? Ultimately decided to puppet Antwerp to the north as it looks like a nicer CS than Ife, who hasn't even grown to their luxury tile yet. It had all its tiles already improved, all buildings built besides walls and barracks, and provided me with two comp bows, a horseman, and a worker. Immediately gold purchased a cargo ship there to feed my capital. Time will tell if that was a good choice, I suppose, but I'm feeling happy enough about it so far.

I also wasn't sure going in if I'd want to try to delay my culture and rush Renaissance for fast Rati, or if I could finish the game quickly enough going Aesthetics in lieu of trying to tech for hotels, airports, etc in the late game. I ended up getting an early culture ruin and Oracle, and I'm not even close to Renaissance yet, so I'm already into Aesthetics, but with three civs still unmet, I'm thinking this will be a longer game requiring Rati and some choice tourism techs anyway.

- Where did you settle and what did you build first?

SIP, prototypical scout>scout>shrine>granary Trad build.

- How did the terrain and map settings affect your early decisions?

I thought it was going to be Pangaea based on the OP, but looks like it's Fractal? I need to prio Astronomy at some point and go 'splorin with caravels, as I've land scouted my entire continent, and have triremes halfway around either side, with no sign of the remaining three civs. I played the very early game as if it was Pangaea, and didn't really need to secure any expansion locations, so very bog standard and simple opening.

- What were your initial priorities?

Stealing workers from Ife, which I think was a poor choice, as they have crappy tiles and tons of fish, leading to them not putting out workers quickly and opting for work boats/defensive units instead. I figured I'd only need two workers with the OCC and could save the time in my build order, but man did they take a long time to pop out a second one, and even longer to get Trapping so they'd stand it on the bison where I could snatch it. Antwerp would have been better (can I puppet a city state thats angry at me after making peace? IDK).

Exploring and meeting everyone asap so my tourism kicks in. Just squeezed out my first great work from a writer and only have five of the seven civs met to influence with it.

- What tech path did you follow and why?

Pottery first, pretty standard
Mining, for the salt
Writing, for a quick library (didn't attempt GL)
Philosophy, for quick NC (turn 60 ish)
Masonry, for the marble
Sailing + Optics for trade route + lighthouse
Civil Service for river farms
Education currently in progress for quick uni

- What Social Policies did you choose?

Full Trad for growth, seems like the only choice for OCC
Aesthetics has been opened, will likely pivot to Rati when that becomes available and finish of Aesthetics later

- What Wonders did you try to get and did you get them?

Tried Temple of Artemis, didn't have any buildings available in the queue at the time. Lost that about halfway through, switched to Stonehenge which became available during that time, and got that. Got Oracle after NC finished. Attempted a six turn Parthenon which I thought I got, but just noticed I didn't now that I'm looking, followed by a four turn, very late Mausoleum, figuring I'd be popping lots of great people for great works and have a marble tile, also missed that by one turn.

- Did you get a religion? What religious beliefs did you pick?

Yes, between Earth Mother and Stonehenge, I got the third (I think?) religion. Took Tithe and Mosques (Cathedrals weren't available with the GA slot), came back for Hermitage tourism as well as Itinerant Preaches on the enhance. Not sure if Mosques over follower production was a good play. Thinking the culture and faith would be more helpful in the long term, but now I'm second guessing myself.

Attachments

• 224m.jpg
    224m.jpg
    671.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 224d.jpg
    224d.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 30
T101. Didn't take any notes except that I puppeted Antwerp on T 53. Here's a screenshot for comparison. My Venice is smaler than @jrwh and a little behind in science too. I had a hard time keeping up with building cargo ships with only one city to do everything.

Attachments

• T101.jpg
    T101.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 23
I'm on a second, alternative go! I did it on turn 323 with tradition but I was behind on science first half and annoyingly missed loads of wonders some by 1 turn. So I'm trying the less obvious liberty start. Working well. The thinking is to get a great merchant (instead of the settler) early for food to cap trade route. Then great scientist on completion to put an academy down, get through the tech tree asap. First build was monument to try get through liberty asap. Don't need to use production in workers with a worker steal and liberty. Allying ife gives the religion which is the 15% production, too good to miss out on. I later will use inquisitor to adopt the leaders religion for tourism boost. Which I did first game. Beelined for great library and amazingly got it. Oracle, mausoleum good for this game. Which I also got first time.

T142 - Decided at game start to focus on growing Venice ASAP so could spam tourism wonders. SIP and started with a Scout for ruin finding. Didn't go for a 2nd Scout as realised at bottom of peninsula. Decided to acquire Antwerp w 1st GM as Mercantile CS not that useful for Venice, and location allowed trade w France. Initial priority was picking up Earth Mother pantheon for faith from all the salt. I sort of beelined Sailing to build Triremes for more efficient exploration.

I DOW'd France a couple of times to stop them settling too close to me in the gaps between Ragusa and Antwerp, ended up with a surfeit of Workers. Founded Catholicism w World Church to churn through later Social Policies, plus Religious Community to help w Wonders; enhanced w Itinerant Preachers & Religious Art. Built Parthenon for early tourism, Colossus for the 2 extra trade routes (and a GM point), Borobodur to kick start religion spread, Angkor Wat to speed up territory expansion in puppets.

EDIT - Tradition has been completed, and I'm about halfway through Aesthetics w Artistic Genius & Cultural Exchange still to adopt; will open Exploration for the Louvre.

NB - Did anyone else start the game in contact w France, and Paris revealed on the map?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    804.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Top Bottom