TSG79 Opening Actions

...he finished Terracotta Army about then also. Did he build it in your game as well?

Yes, Poland built the Terracotta Army in my game too. I was able to hold him off though. with enough archers and chariot archers Paris was never really threatened. the lake kind of hindered him too. He basically just suicided his army on me, in a few waves.
Here's Paris at t111, ready to wipe out his next wave, and ready to complete NC finally.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• t111.JPG
    t111.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 284
Well, I have managed to survive to turn 130 so far. I was able to avoid war with Poland by sending him to Indonesia at t83. Cost me 14 gpt, but it seems well worth it because they are still at it. This led to denouncements by Ethiopia and Brazil. Brazil was his friend but he backstabbed them somehow.

Question. If he bullies a protected city-state of his friend, does that count as backstab?

This will not be a fast finish because I never got around to founding another city. Did not try for HG or Petra. Did not steal any workers. However, I am only slightly behind in tech and I have near cultural parity with the big boys (and girl).

Settled in place. I do not like settling on hills unless there is no other production in the first ring. While it may lead to a quicker start, I feel like it hinders me later by losing bonuses to mines or even farms.

Tech - Archery, Pottery, AH, Mining, The Wheel, Writing, Calendar, BW, Philo, Constuction, D & P, to Civil Service. Just finished Education and Metal Casting.

Policies - Full Tradition, 3 in Aesthetics (right side).

Build - Monument, Scout, Archer, Shrine, Granary, Worker, (bought an archer at some point here), Library, Archer, Worker, Caravan?, NC?, Oracle (opened Aesthetics), Writer's Guild. I could have started Petra here at t100, it fell at 116. I went for defense instead. Spearman (also bought Spearman), Warrior (1 turn before IW), Comp Bow. Water Mill, National Epic, and Mint somewhere in that last set of units. Just finished University. Will probably build Workshop next.

Other - I have been able to maintain at least friendship with Yerevan (culture) since I completed a quest for them fairly early on (40-50?). This had helped with policy acquisition. Brazil took them away for 5 critical turns which helped them to win a culture quest for someone. I'm not sure that I would have got it but I was gaining and it was gonna be close. I bought them back as soon as I had the cash. I have spent 500g and completed 2 quests so far. Currently, I am at ally status and I am building a road to them for another quest. I have had two maritime and one mercantile friend at points. I think I have one maritime friend now.

I sent one caravan to Yerevan for quest. When that finished, I sent to Warsaw. Now on second round to Warsaw. After I built the Mint, both Brazil and Poland sent me trade routes.

Brazil and Poland hate each other. Ethiopia and Zulu hate each other. Ethiopia hates Poland, too. As mentioned, Poland and Indonesia are still at war. Russia and Shoshone are minding their own business for now. Russia, fairly isolated, is competitive. Shoshone does not seem as strong. They may be hemmed in by Ethiopia.

I had originally planned to shoot for Globe Theatre, but my spy told me that Brazil was building it (7 turns away). I was still on Metal Casting.:lol: Now, I am hoping for Sistine and Uffizi. May have to do an early Oxford just to hold my Writings and stay ahead on the Architecture line. We'll see. Right now, I am only one who has Education and only one or two others with Theology. But, Brazil has Printing Press, obviously. Someone, and I hope it's not Poland but it probably is, has Gunpowder. I'm hoping its Shaka. I like to see them take down Brazil.

I will possibly go to rationalism next for two picks (opener, left side), because I'm not ready for museums or opera houses yet, and I would like to wait on my next Golden Age to pick the free one. I hate delaying the extra bonuses from trade routes, etc. and the double theming, but it may be awhile before I have theming to double.

So, as I said, definitely will not be a fast finish, but it's a fun map and the ridiculous Capitol allows a Prince player to compete. I may even replay this one for fun a time or two.

Yes, Poland built the Terracotta Army in my game too. I was able to hold him off though. with enough archers and chariot archers Paris was never really threatened. the lake kind of hindered him too. He basically just suicided his army on me, in a few waves.

Brazil??? of all people, got Terracotta in my game. Thank God it was not Poland. I would likely have been toast for sure.

T180 update:
Spoiler :
Can you believe I built my first expo...at turn 172?:lol: I began to need the food trade route. I sent a production route to kickstart. I will send food back to Paris as soon as one of my routes with Poland is done. I managed to build Sistine and will soon get my next Great Artist to get the theme. I mistimed policies and will not get free Golden Age during my second natural unless I build Taj Mahal before Uffizi. Someone joined me at Acoustics (I was first there) by spy theft and all the major players seem to have Banking which was also stolen from me by someone, so that could be risky.

Poland continues to pretend to like me and sends two trade routes. I paid the Zulus 12gpt to DoW Brazil and they helpfully took his Capitol with all his Great Works. This was after I had been lucky with open borders to Brazil ending just as he began a Golden Age. 6:tourism: towards me vs. 12:tourism: Yay! I paid the Shoshone 3gpt plus Cotton to DoW Ethiopia and they helpfully took his Capitol with all his Great Works. The result of this amazing turn of events was that the two Civs with the lowest Tourism suddenly had the highest and began to generate high Culture where they were also well behind. The two Civs with the highest Tourism and Culture suddenly were producing zero Tourism and very low Culture. Yay!

Poland continues to be the biggest threat to me militarily and culturally. He just joined the fight against Ethiopia, though. Russia is getting bigger and bigger with no one in their way. They could become a big problem if somebody doesn't do something to slow them down. The Shoshone and the Zulu are already strong militarily and will be Tourism and Culture beasts if they decide to change paths with their new bounty. It's possible they will go after each other and the winner of that fight could be a monster. My hope is Poland vs. Shoshone and Russia vs. Zulu with no winners.;)

I am a little behind where I would like to be in science, but on the upside of that, I have felt more ready to build the key buildings quicker. I have been doing much better economically this game but I always do when I step up to higher levels. Since building the Mint, even with war bribes, I have not went below 10gpt and for the most part have been in the 20-30+gpt and right now is increasing even more due to East India. And I will build a Bank soon. Other than mistiming the Golden Age policy and getting one 4 turns before Renaissance, I still feel good about my culture. I remained allied with Yerevan. I am 5th in military.

(Relatively) terrible news. I have lost access to my user account on my laptop and cannot access my save games.:mad: So I cannot continue this game.:sad: I was having a lot of fun with this one. I will continue to work on the problem and, hopefully, I will be able to resolve it before the deadline. I'm not going to win any competition, but, like I said, I was having fun with it. At least I can still play Civ 5 :), just no old saves.:(

Turn 320 - 1900AD

I gave up the idea of winning a CV a while ago, my current goal is to survive to the end of the game with no loss of cities. I have three cities close to the starting area, Paris on the hill NW of start, Orleans near the copper to the East and Lyon on the southern coast in the tundra.

I started out strong and snagged Petra and the Oracle, but then Poland reminded me that I'd neglected my military for too long. After three rounds of DoF/DoW I reached musketeers and lined my border with those and cannons. Poland was then busy killing off Indonesia, while the Zulus took out Brazil and Ethiopia. I chose to trust Russia and I have a defensive pact with them now, which has helped keep out Poland and the Zulus. Russia has just created their first booster engine (I am researching Replaceable Parts), and the Shoshone seem to be the favorite punching bag for the other civs now (at least its not me yet).

I haven't played Civ in a while, and rarely on immortal when I was actively playing, so this has been fun to get back into the game and to try to push myself a bit. I would change a few of my opening tactics if I were to replay this game, but overall it has been fun and I've learned a few new things along the way.

I haven't played Civ in a while, and rarely on immortal when I was actively playing, so this has been fun to get back into the game and to try to push myself a bit. I would change a few of my opening tactics if I were to replay this game, but overall it has been fun and I've learned a few new things along the way.

Welcome to the GotM TSG Series and back to Civ 5! Glad you enjoyed it.

HR

First serious attempt at GotM & first time Immortal. Wish me luck... will try to resist wonderspam. Played to T87 so far...

Settled on hill next to lake (1 tile NW) - looks like a Petra start, so hope to make the most of the extra desert hills + keep the gold in range. Early plan for tradition tall, rush Petra, NC then expand.

Early Build Order
Scout --> Monument --> Shrine (hoping for DF)
Worker --> Granary
Archer --> Caravan
Settler x2 --> Library
Petra

Tech Order
Pottery --> AH --> Wheel
Planned to beeline Currency (Petra), but was falling far behind in science, and no lux tech, so added Writing & Mining just before Currency. No Construction yet.

Religion
Ethiopia beat me to pantheon, but took +30% range. I made 2nd and took DF. First religion --> Tithe & Cathedrals.

Progress
DoF with Poland ~T30. Everyone (incl Poland) protecting Zurich, so stole a worker from Columbo instead ~T33. Barb camps blocking scout access to the right side of the map, but otherwise no issue with barbs. Only 1 archer as nothing for it to do. Bought several tiles to keep food high.

~T42 decision time: Do I attempt Hanging Gardens or expand? Decided to expand, as most civs went Tradition, I'm falling well behind in science & Poland is taking whatever space they can. Settled to the SE.
Spoiler :

Finished Petra T85 (yay!)
Spoiler :
Thoughts so far - delaying Writing and Mining (lux) to rush Currency was a bad idea. Should have replaced Granary with Library. Currently last for army, so building archers & going for construction, followed by NC to catch up on science. Also too little food in 2nd city.

Any tips?

Backstabbed by Poland a couple of turns later. Biggest damage came from the DoW itself - took out two trade routes and crippled my economy. Had just enough cash to upgrade a couple of archers: defence is holding up fine, 4 CB + city taking out a swordsman each turn.

War ongoing, but managed to build NC around T100. Poland also pillaged the fishing boats I built to fix food problems in Orleans. Did not know that was possible.

DoF with both Brazil and later Ethiopia. Met Russia, Catherine hitting on me & quite friendly, but I doubt that will last when I can afford to expand east to take the gold/whale/wheat. Worth the risk?

Settled 1 tile northwest on hill. Went for risky Liberty GL plan and proceeded to spam wonders:

T39 GL
T50 NC -> shrine -> settler + free settler
T72 Petra -> settler
T84 Oracle
T90 Pyramids
T94 [WAR!]

Settled Orleans upriver near Zurich, Lyon on mountain river to the east, and Troyes by whales farther east. Barbarian horseman kills my 2nd archer as hes trying to clear a camp, then Poland DOW's and his ally Zurich conquers Orleans, whereupon I ragequit. Woulda been ok if I built a few archers and workers instead of Pyramids.

Top Bottom