Turn times and your enjoyment

Krajzen

Deity
Hi guys,

I love that game. I found lot of wonderful mods. I found wonderful maps, and I love to make global simulation of 22 civs developing in huge world.
Guess what is the only painful problem here :D

Yeah, turn times for big maps & many civs are atrocious. No, I am not seeking for "advices" like "play on small maps" :p or how to make those times shorter, because I know everything about that and have all required solutions :p

I am interested in other thing: how many of you can truly enjoy game on Epic speed when in the renaissance (!) each AI turn takes ~2 minutes? :crazyeye: (i expect it to reach 5 minutes waiting time by the end of information age :crazyeye: ) And how do you do that? :crazyeye:

I still enjoy that experience very much, but that turn times are excruciating (making even 10 turns of late game can take over an hour!). I had the same problem with Medieval II Total War with best mods - whole gameplay is absolutely awesome, but AI turn times make progress insanely slooooow... Yeah, this is my problem with turn strategies.

Maybe you are Buddist Monks with infinite patience? :crazyeye: What a pity that I am both impatient and I cannot concentrate on more than one thing in the same time.

I couldn't imagine playing a huge map, 22 civs, and epic speed. I normally play epic speed with a standard map and standard number of civs. It gets slow in later eras, and maybe a minute or a minute and a half until my turn again. And I get frustrated with that. And it seems it's the barbarians who take the longest time.

I couldn't imagine waiting four or five minutes for my turn again.

I play 'PlayEurope' mod with 22 Civs.

I'm in the atomic era and its only taking 30secs maximum

I play 'PlayEurope' mod with 22 Civs.

I'm in the atomic era and its only taking 30secs maximum

Have you other mods? What graphic settings?

Maybe this is because I have... many :p other mods and I play on Play Europe Extended which is large/huge map. By the way, I never expected saying that in case of Civ5, but that map is... too big. Two biggest runaways are Poland and Russia, mainly because they have infinite amount of space for cities (they have something like 25 - 30 cities, my France with 8 cities has 2/3 of Russian production and I am proud of it :p )

Also, Epic speed was a mistake. :p

Have you other mods? What graphic settings?

Maybe this is because I have... many :p other mods and I play on Play Europe Extended which is large/huge map. By the way, I never expected saying that in case of Civ5, but that map is... too big. Two biggest runaways are Poland and Russia, mainly because they have infinite amount of space for cities (they have something like 25 - 30 cities, my France with 8 cities has 2/3 of Russian production and I am proud of it :p )

Also, Epic speed was a mistake. :p

I'm using quicker aircraft speed, and one of the mods that makes the units' sizes more realistic (I forget the name).
Settings are all on high apart from shadow quality.

I think I'm playing on the same map mod as you (Europe extended). In mine, Babylon and Austria are dominating.
Russia got wiped out by the Huns ridiculously early, as did France because of the Germans.

I feel the pain of this thread. I've been playing smaller maps on my laptop and turn speed has never been an issue. Now I'm trying to play a huge map and it feels like a marathon. I keep wondering... "why is it taking so long to get aluminum" as my worker mines for what seems like weeks. But it is really only the fact that each turn takes for ever and ever. Just takes getting used to, I spose.

One more reason to get one of these? https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

I'd go crazy if the whole time for all AI turns was approaching 2 minutes, I couldn't even imagine every AI taking that long.

@Zaimejs:

I do like that Mac Pro. But alas, the price is somewhat steep.

I'm playing on a 2008 Quad Core Xeon with 20 gigs of ram.

Either enable quick movement and quick combat when YOU are not at war, or use a minimod that changes the animation speeds of units and aircraft (or better, a combination of both :D).

Believe it or not, the engine renders ALL animations each turn, regardless of their position relative to the "viewing window" of the player.

Either enable quick movement and quick combat when YOU are not at war, or use a minimod that changes the animation speeds of units and aircraft (or better, a combination of both :D).

Believe it or not, the engine renders ALL animations each turn, regardless of their position relative to the "viewing window" of the player.

Is that really true, then is not strange why strategic mode fell like a hugh speed boost because animation is basicly non exitent in this mode.

Top Bottom