Unique Units/Buildings in CivWorld

chrissifniotis

GoogleCiv 2.0.0 coming...
G'day all.

A couple of days ago I had a thought to add unique units, and possibly buildings, into CivWorld. I asked around during a few games and the people seem to like the idea, but for veteran 'civvers', if such a word exists, would unique units and other things may make the game better; or at least does the idea of such things interest you?

I think the idea of unique units/buildings would be good if there is a way that they aren't tied to a specific nationality. Otherwise, once the more sought out ones are realized, no one would want to be in say, India, because their unique items aren't as good as the others (just an example).

Might I suggest instead National Wonders? Something that can be built by any and all Civs without fear of being stolen. You could have your choice from 5 different flavors, 1 for each type bonus, but could only have 1 built at a time. So if you want to counter-act the -25% gold for having closed borders, build the <insert +25% gold national wonder here> and balance it out. Or if you are in a good production era of +50%, build the <insert +25% production wonder here> and boost it even more. Of course because of the versatile nature and no fear of being stolen, these would have to have somewhat of a steeper price than world wonders...

Just an idea.

I think the idea of unique units/buildings would be good if there is a way that they aren't tied to a specific nationality. Otherwise, once the more sought out ones are realized, no one would want to be in say, India, because their unique items aren't as good as the others (just an example).

Might I suggest instead National Wonders? Something that can be built by any and all Civs without fear of being stolen. You could have your choice from 5 different flavors, 1 for each type bonus, but could only have 1 built at a time. So if you want to counter-act the -25% gold for having closed borders, build the <insert +25% gold national wonder here> and balance it out. Or if you are in a good production era of +50%, build the <insert +25% production wonder here> and boost it even more. Of course because of the versatile nature and no fear of being stolen, these would have to have somewhat of a steeper price than world wonders...

Just an idea.

that would be a good idea but it should cost the same as a normal wonder.
I think a unique unit would be cool to have and you could pick a bonus like have 1 plus attack or defense on mobile or range or meelee

That kind of sounds like civics to be honest. I know the method of acquisition is different, and it doesn't have a penalty but it really does strike me as more of the same.

Just an idea.

You do raise a good point. I'm considering unique traits as well so as to try to counter-balance this, but in the meantime I'll also consider attaching the UU to culture groups as opposed to civilizations - that is the say, apply for example the Hoplite to mediterranian civs (Rome and Egypt as well as Greece).
What about the idea of Unique Buildings?

National Wonders is a great idea. I was thinking a bit about it, the idea I've had so far is they require a lower amount of Great People and they can't be stolen, but the benefits are reduced - +10% income or small (500-7500) lump some bonuses, essentially acting like the National Wonders of old. Later wonders are more powerful, acting similar to early militaristic, diplomatic, happiness wonders. I was also considering as an aternate Unique Events, where the other wonder options, eg Renaissance, Secret Weapon, Revolution!, etc., are edited for certain civiliziations.

I like your take on NWs, especially the limit of one per civ, but I don't think National Wonders should cost more than the World Wonders, I don't think a good deal of people would aim for them.

Okay, after a lot of searching and balancing I've come up with a selection of options for each of the 16 civs to put forward and consider. The Unique Traits for each civ are based on the traits from Civilization 5. It's also worth noting that since the commodities have intrinsic values in this, I'll define them at the bottom as well. Please be honest and constructive about these as they are still in the early stages of conception, and also feel free to add to them;

the African League - Cradle of Man: +2 Population at the start of a game
Spoiler :
Unique Unit: Impi; Replaces Warrior, Melee, Foggy, 2 ATK/1 DEF, 50 Production
Unique Building: Mint; Replaces Iron Forge, +5% Production, +5% Gold, 250 Production + Iron Crafting
Unique Event: Fertility Dance; Replaces Fertility Rights, +1 Population/+3750 Food (10+ pop)
National Wonder: <UNKNOWN>

the American Territories - Manifest Destiny: -50% Gold cost for perchacing Culture
Spoiler :
Unique Unit 1: Minuteman; Replaces Rifleman, Melee, Foggy, 4 ATK/4 DEF, 75 Production + Gunpowder
Unique Unit 2: Ironclad; Replaces Cruiser, Naval, Windy, 6 ATK/8 DEF, 200 Production + Steam Power
Unique Building: Mall; Replaces Bank, +5% Gold, +5% Food, 400 Production + Banking
Unique Event: American Revolution; Replaces Revolution, National rankings reserved, All battles against America cease
National Wonder: Wall Street, +10% Gold, Requires The Corporation

the Arabian Empire - Trade Caravans: Double Gold from Silk/Caravan Game
Spoiler :
Unique Unit: Camel Archer; Replaces Cavalry, Mobile, Foggy, 2 ATK/3 DEF, 100 Production + Horseback Riding
Unique Building: Bazaar; Replaces Market, +5% Gold, 200 Production
National Wonder: Masjid Al-Haram; +10% Culture, +1 Happiness with Incense, Requires Religion

the Aztec Coalition - Sacrificial Captives: +xCulture/defeated enemy unit
Spoiler :
Possible Unique Options;
Unique Unit: Jaguar; Replaces Swordsman, Melee, Rainy, 2 ATK/2 DEF, 50 Production + Iron Working
Unique Building: Floating Garden; Replaces Garden, 15 Food on Grass/10 Food on Plains, +5 Food/adjacent FG, must be next to Water or FG, 100 Production
National Wonder: (?)Chichen Itza; +10%Gold, Requires Feudalism

the British Commonwealth - Sun Never Sets: +2 ATK/Naval unit
Spoiler :
Unique Unit 1: Redcoat; Replaces Rifleman, Melee, Foggy, 4 ATK/5 DEF, 75 Production + Gunpowder
Unique Unit 2: Ship of the Line; Replaces Galleon, Naval, Windy, 6 ATK/4 DEF, 125 Production + Navigation
Unique Building: Stock Exchange; Replaces Bank, +10% Gold, -25% Gold Cost in Marketplace, 400 Production + Banking
National Wonder: Newton's (or Cambridge) University; +10% Sceince, Requires University

the Chinese Civilization - the Art of War: Double Gold from Great General
Spoiler :
Unique Unit: Chu-Ko-Nu; Replaces Longbow, Mobile, Foggy, 2 ATK/3 DEF, 50 Production + Monarchy
Unique Building: Paper Maker; Replaces Library, +5% Science, +5% Gold, 200 Production
Unique Event: Chinese Revolution; Replaces Industrial Revolution, All modest buildings upgraded, +25% Production until new era
National Wonder: Forbidden Palace; +1 Happiness, Requires Banking

the Egyptian Dynasty - Monument Builders: -1 Great Person needed for Wonders
Spoiler :
Unique Unit: War Chariot; Replaces Horseman, Mobile, Windy, 2 ATK/1 DEF, 75 Production
Unique Buildings: Obelisk; Replaces Village Green, +5% Culture, +1 Happiness, 500 Production + Code of Laws
Unique Event: New Kingdom; Replaces Golden Age, Gold reserves increased 50% <Maximum of 40000>
National Wonder: Great Lighthouse; +1 ATK/Naval units, Requires Navigation

the French Alliance - Ancien Regiem: +25% Culture
Spoiler :
Unique Unit: Musketeer; Replaces Warrior, Melee, Foggy, 4 ATK/6 DEF, 75 Production + Gunpowder
Unique Building: Salon; Replaces University, +10% Science, +5% Culture, 400 Production + University
Unique Event: French Revolution; Replaces Revolution, +5% Food/Production/Gold/Science/Culture until new era, the King/Queen is dethroned to the lowest rank.
National Wonder: Eiffel Tower, +1 Happiness, Requires Mass Media

the German Confederation - Furor Teutonius: +xGold/civilized Barbarian
Spoiler :
Unique Unit 1: Panzer; Replaces Tank, Mobile, Rainy, 8 ATK/8 DEF, 200 Production + Combustion
Unique Unit 2: Landsknecht; Replaces Man-At-Arms, Melee, Rainy, 4 ATK/2 DEF, 50 Production + Monarchy
Unique Building: Assembly Plany; Replaces Factory, +10% Production, 500 Production + Industrialization
Unique Event: Facism; Replaces Secret Weapon, Certain defending units halved, + 2 ATK/Melee unit until new era
National Wonder: Copernicus' Observatory; +10% Science, Requires University

the Grecian States - Hellenic League: Can select Weather conditions on every invasion
Spoiler :
Unique Unit 1: Hoplite; Replaces Phalanx, Melee, Rainy, 2 ATK/4 DEF, 75 Production + Bronze Crafting
Unique Unit 2: Trireme; Replaces Galley, Naval, Windy, 3 ATK/3 DEF, 100 Production
Unique Building: Oedon; Replaces Theatre, +5% Culture, 200 Production
National Wonder: Temple of Artemis; +10% Food, Requires Construction

the Indian Commonwealth - Population Growth: +1 Happiness
Spoiler :
Unique Unit: War Elephant; Replaces Cavalry, Mobile, Foggy, 4 ATK/2 DEF, 125 Production + Horseback Riding
Unique Building: Mughal Fort; Replaces Guard Tower, +50% LOS, +5% Culture, +5% Gold when reserached Flight, 100 Production
Unique Event: Mughal Dynasty; Replaces Renaissance, All small building upgraded, +25% Culture until new era.
National Wonder: Taj Mahal; +5% Gold, +5% Culture, Requires Printing Press

the Japanese Shogunate - Bushido: Units in Heroic stance fight with triple strength
Spoiler :
Unique Unit: Samurai; Replaces Swordsman, Melee, Rainy, 3 ATK/1 DEF, 50 Production + Iron Working
Unique Building: Shale Plant; Replaces Factory, +10% Production, 500 Production + Industrialization
Unique Event: Kamikaze; Replaces Secret Weapon, Certain defending units halved, +3 ATK/Non-Naval unit until new era

the Mongolian Horde - the Immortal Khan: Each Mongolian Great General fills 2 slots for Wonders
Spoiler :
Unique Unit: Keshik; Replaces Cavalry, Mobile, Foggy, 4 ATK/3 DEF, 100 Production + Horseback Riding
Unique Building: Yurt; Replaces House, -1 Happiness, 50 Production
Unique Event: Mongol Terror; Replaces Secret Weapon, Certain defending units halved, +2 ATK/Mobile units until new era

the Roman Empire - Art and Architecture: -25% Production Cost/Building
Spoiler :
Unique Unit: Praetorian; Replaces Legion , Melee, Foggy, 4 ATK/3 DEF, 75 Production + Iron Crafting
Unique Building: Forum; Replaces Market, +5% Gold, +5% Culture, 200 Production
Unique Event: the Glory of Rome; Replaces Renaissance, All small building upgraded, +10% Science, +10% Gold, +10% Culture until new era.
National Wonder: Sistine Chapel, +10% Culture, Requires Printing Press

the Russian Federation - Double Production from Marble
Spoiler :
Unique Unit: Cossack; Replaces (?) Rifleman, Mobile, Foggy, 5 ATK/5 DEF, 100 Production + Gunpowder
Unique Building: Research Institute; Replaces University, +10% Science, 400 Production + University
Unique Event: Communism; Replaces Industrial Revolution, All modest buildings upgraded, +10% Food, +10% Production, +10% Science until new era
National Wonder: Hermitage, +10% Culture, Requires Printing Press

the Spanish Confederation - Seven Cities of Gold: +25% Gold
Spoiler :
Unique Unit: Conquistador; Replaces Knight, Mobile, Rainy, 5 ATK/2 DEF, 125 Production + Feudalism
Unique Building: Citadel; Replaces Village Green, +5% Production, +1 ATK/DEF/Melee Unit, 500 Production + Code of Laws
Unique Event: Voyage to the New World; Replaces Voyage of Discovery, All current science tripled <Maximum of 12500>
NW: <UNKNOWN>

That's that! Now the commodities, I've been trying to understand how it works and it seems too basic, and very open to abuse. So just to add a little more interest to them I've added these extra outputs to them;

n Incense = +n% Culture from Palace (n = equal to or less than the number of cities [palaces] in the civilization = less than or equal to 25)
n Marble = +n% Production from Stone Mason (n = equal to or less than the number Stone Mason in the city = less than or equal to 10)
n Oxen = +n% Food from Pasture (n = equal to or less than the number Pastures in the city = less than or equal to 10)
n Silk = +n% Gold from Market (n = equal to or less than the number Markets in the city = less than or equal to 10)

the African League - Cradle of Man: +2 Population at the start of a game
Seems overpowered, because of the 5 minutes trickle bonus + extra harvests from population
Fertility Dance event is even more worse. +3750 food or +1 population up to 10 is very unbalancing.

the Aztec Coalition - Sacrificial Captives: +xCulture/defeated enemy unit
Besides the chance getting wonders + techs, also culture from dead enemy units?
Try to find a good and fair balance with this ability.

the Grecian States - Hellenic League: Can select Weather conditions on every invasion
Now, this is a very bad idea. Foggy weather is already overpowered when you are ahead in tech.

I'm sorry to say, but I don't like most ideas, they are either over- or underpowered.
Not to mention CivWorld itself has still serious bugs, exploits and bad gameplay.

> edit<
The newest update will give the option to choose the weather during a battle with civbucks.
And battles start immediately after the invasion has been confirmed.

I'm sorry to say, but I don't like most ideas, they are either over- or underpowered.
Not to mention CivWorld itself has still serious bugs, exploits and bad gameplay.

> edit<
The newest update will give the option to choose the weather during a battle with civbucks.
And battles start immediately after the invasion has been confirmed.

Fair enough, I'll edit these some more. And yea, the new weather changing thing just came now.

There are some interesting ideas by chrissifniotis, a few may need to be tweeked but over all good.

Wow, it's been months. Thanks for the reply, but the reason I haven't yet updated these ideas is, admittedly, I haven't played CivWorld in ages. I'll have to return to the game where it is now and revise on the UEs.

Top Bottom