Upgrading Units

James009

Warlord
Here's something I cannot figure out and can't find anything on. Can I upgrade my units once I obtain new technology? Or am I stuck with outdated units?

For example, can I ever upgrade my Warriors into Legions? Archers into Riflemen?

If I'm missing out on this then somebody please let me know! I always have loads of money that I'd love to be spending on upgrades but never the ability (other then Leo's Workshop).

It would seriously suck if you can't upgrade units...

Here's something I cannot figure out and can't find anything on. Can I upgrade my units once I obtain new technology? Or am I stuck with outdated units?

For example, can I ever upgrade my Warriors into Legions? Archers into Riflemen?

If I'm missing out on this then somebody please let me know! I always have loads of money that I'd love to be spending on upgrades but never the ability (other then Leo's Workshop).

No, unless you build Leonardo's Workshop or play as the Germans and the units are elite. It's not that big of a deal though because units are fairly cheap in the game.

If upgrading is really important to you then you have to play as the Germans as there elite units get automatic upgrades for the entire game. Leo's Workshop is only a 1 time upgrade once you built that is it no more upgrades.

My suggestion to you is to play as the Germans.

no, you're right, it seriously sucks and is a big flaw when someone gets leonardo's especially if they have combustion and heaps of knights.... it's basically game over.

That's why you have to build it whenever you get the chance. Just to make sure someone else doesn't get it. I've played a couple of deity games where I've missed the wonder, but it hasn't been a gamebreaker at all. Once you get modern infantry armies with upgrades and stack your cities with artillery armies, you're good.

That said, I always try to time Leo's workshop with combustion, but most of the times I fail. Then I'll just turtle until arty comes along.

Well, that kinda sucks. I do think its sort of a game flaw.

That said, I always try to time Leo's workshop with combustion, but most of the times I fail. Then I'll just turtle until arty comes along.

save a great scientist, and if possible a builder, then Leo's and combustion are easy. And if this coming spam knights then you have a fleet of ready made tank armies... no-one to date has stopped me after this (although one lad put up ma sterling effort and it turned into a great game).... it's too easy.

i think from invention anyone can upgrade units for gold, and leonardo's just allows you to do it at 50%.

but then again, i prefer working at victory (although steaming through everyone elses beautifully crafted civilisations does has a kind of mindless destructive pleasure attached to it... but it gets kind of boring too)

Any idea how?

You can't.

He's saying he thinks/wishes thats how it should be.

That said, I think it's fine as it is. Yes leo's workshop (or playing as the germans) is nice for the free unit upgrades. However, it's not a game breaker if someone else gets it and you don't.

By the time the late game rolls around, you should have at least one, if not a 2-4 (depending on empire size), production cities that are capable of producing 40-60+ hammers per turn, and capable of cranking out armies very quickly since units are so cheap in this game.

save a great scientist, and if possible a builder, then Leo's and combustion are easy. And if this coming spam knights then you have a fleet of ready made tank armies... no-one to date has stopped me after this (although one lad put up ma sterling effort and it turned into a great game).... it's too easy.

i think from invention anyone can upgrade units for gold, and leonardo's just allows you to do it at 50%.

but then again, i prefer working at victory (although steaming through everyone elses beautifully crafted civilisations does has a kind of mindless destructive pleasure attached to it... but it gets kind of boring too)

However, I actually had a problem today in a game that involved building the Workshop and researching Gunpowder. I started the workshop and it took about 25 turns to finish. In that time frame, I completed the study of gunpowder before the Wonder was built. Thinking that I was going to upgrade all my units, I spammed a bunch of archers. However, I ended up building the wonder but my archers DID NOT upgrade. Only the horsemen I had built upgraded. I think someone on this board said that this happened to them as well and I am hoping that they fix it because it is a definite flaw.

However, I actually had a problem today in a game that involved building the Workshop and researching Gunpowder. I started the workshop and it took about 25 turns to finish. In that time frame, I completed the study of gunpowder before the Wonder was built. Thinking that I was going to upgrade all my units, I spammed a bunch of archers. However, I ended up building the wonder but my archers DID NOT upgrade. Only the horsemen I had built upgraded. I think someone on this board said that this happened to them as well and I am hoping that they fix it because it is a definite flaw.

It's not broken.

You hadn't researched democracy. I know this simply by the fact that you were able to build archers.

Archers upgrade to pikemen which upgrade to riflemen.

You cannot go from archers to riflemen and skip the pikemen inbetween.

Thus when you built leo's workshop, you didn't have democracy and your archers upgrade path was blocked because they couldn't turn into pikemen before they became riflemen.

It sucks if you don't know about it ahead of time, but at least you know now for next time:crazyeye:

Well, that kinda sucks. I do think its sort of a game flaw.

No the game was designed that way to give the Germans there advantage, and you have the option of playing as the Germans if upgrading is really important to you.

Top Bottom