Vampire won't repair?

hucker

Warlord
I've always used my vampires to repair pillaged farms etc. They won't do it now. Do I have to get the governer to a certain level? No mention of the repairing ability at all in the civilopedia or the wiki!

I've always used my vampires to repair pillaged farms etc. They won't do it now. Do I have to get the governer to a certain level? No mention of the repairing ability at all in the civilopedia or the wiki!
did you perchance use up all of your castle-building charges? im thinking maybe improvement-repairing is enabled only when theres still available improvement-creating charges left. havent played with secret societies in forever so im not certain

Fairly new game, only one vampire, never built a castle. I can only assume it comes with a level-up for the governor.

Fairly new game, only one vampire, never built a castle. I can only assume it comes with a level-up for the governor.
You aren't able to promote and have build charges until you reach the Medieval Era. It should hopefully work then.

As Hetaroi said, but I'm pretty sure it's an ability that derives from the ability to build improvements, rather than being intentionally designed that way. It's the same with Military Engineers and the Roman Legion.

In practice, it's the same thing: it unlocks in the Medieval Era (because the ability to build the vampire castle unlocks in the medieval era). Just keep that in mind, in case for whatever reason you stop being able to repair improvements. I don't remember if you can keep repairing stuff after using all your build charges with the vampire and the roman legion.

You can also use the vampire build charge to chop woods though that's probably not advisable :p

You can also use the vampire build charge to chop woods though that's probably not advisable :p
from what i saw on the wiki, while building castles decreases the remaining charges of all vampires, chopping woods only decreases the charges of the vampire who did the chop, so a chop here and there isnt actually that bad. if you save all of your castles to be built by the last vampire you could get as many as 12 chops in with the others and still build all 4 castles, but waiting that long to put down a castle would prolly not be a great idea, but you could safely get in like 6 chops per game by having all but one vamp chop before you build another castle each time you get a new one

from what i saw on the wiki, while building castles decreases the remaining charges of all vampires, chopping woods only decreases the charges of the vampire who did the chop, so a chop here and there isnt actually that bad. if you save all of your castles to be built by the last vampire you could get as many as 12 chops in with the others and still build all 4 castles, but waiting that long to put down a castle would prolly not be a great idea, but you could safely get in like 6 chops per game by having all but one vamp chop before you build another castle each time you get a new one
It's amazing how despite playing the game with some regularity (when I have time anyway...), I'm still to this day learning things about the game. And it's not that infrequent either.

building castles decreases the remaining charges of all vampires
I've never actually played with Secret Societies (though I've watched streamers like @boesthius build and take advantage of vampire castles) so I don't have a personal sense of how strong castles are, but I dislike that mechanic, at least in tandem with the different mechanic for chopping.

It makes sense from a balance perspective. Chops are rarely going to be equivalent to vampire castles in terms of yields. However, it rewards an unintuitive and hidden optimal play pattern.

Once again, I lack personal experience, but I still want to chime in with my opinion. I'd prefer if vampire build charges worked like other build charges, only decreasing the charges of the unit who initiated the build action. I don't think it's even necessary for them to be able to chop. Civ VI would still have plenty (maybe even too much) chopping without vampires.

Last edited:
It's amazing how despite playing the game with some regularity (when I have time anyway...), I'm still to this day learning things about the game. And it's not that infrequent either.
WTF? When you have time? Civ is so addictive I have to play it every single day.
I've never actually played with Secret Societies (though I've watched streamers like @boesthius build and take advantage of vampire castles) so I don't have a personal sense of how strong castles are, but I dislike that mechanic, at least in tandem with the different mechanic for chopping.
Secret societies is brilliant. And I always wait until I find the vampire one.

It makes sense from a balance perspective. Chops are rarely going to be equivalent to vampire castles in terms of yields. However, it rewards an unintuitive and hidden optimal play pattern.

Once again, I lack personal experience, but I still want to chime in with my opinion.
Urgh, is that an Americanism? Chime in indeed. They say that all the time in the Google Home forum, along with other irritating buzzwords.

I'd prefer if vampire build charges worked like other build charges, only decreasing the charges of the unit who initiated the build action.
I guess it's using a central store of magic or something. You'd think the magic would be rechargeable though.

I don't think it's even necessary for them to be able to chop. Civ VI would still have plenty (maybe even too much) chopping without vampires.
Can't say I've ever chopped. I put lumbermills on there.

I guess it's using a central store of magic or something. You'd think the magic would be rechargeable though.
Vampires are known to be pretty lazy and sleep well past midday so removing build charges simulates their notorious indolence.

You'll notice they're slow, take ages to heal, can't gain XP (because they can't be bothered to learn new things), and rely on others to get stronger. They're so lazy at some point they actually invent teleportation, not out of an eagerness to create new things, but out of a desire to go through eternal life doing and moving as little as possible.

I thought vampires were nocturnal? So you should say sleep well past midnight.

They travel at a decent speed, and they heal as fast as other units (especially in a city or castle). They do learn new things, they learn the abilities of your best unit produced. They only teleport back home when knackered.

What's poor about it? Why on earth should we bow to the government's request to get up and go to work at a certain time? I have a 26 hour body clock. I get up when I've finished sleeping, and go to bed when I'm tired and not before. I'm up different times of day or night each day. To hell with the government and their regulations.

I have a suspicion a vampire might have infiltrated civfanatics.

Unrelated to the topic, I'd just like to mention my blood type is AB-negative, which stands for absolutely don't want anything to do with that blood type, vampire or anybody in need of a blood transfusion.

Edit: wait I might have gotten them mixed.

I'm whatever type most recipients wouldn't be able to get. Including most, if not all, vampires.

Last edited:

Unrelated to the topic, I'd just like to mention my blood type is AB-negative, which stands for absolutely don't want anything to do with that blood type, vampire or anybody in need of a blood transfusion.

I'm whatever type most recipients wouldn't be able to get. Including most, if not all, vampires.
As in, the one that can't donate to anyone? AB+. I'm the opposite, O-, which really sucks for me. Anyone can have my blood, but I can only take blood from other O- people...

What?

I doubt vampires care about blood types, they're probably immune to the subtle differences our silly bodies reject.

As in, the one that can't donate to anyone? AB+. I'm the opposite, O-, which really sucks for me. Anyone can have my blood, but I can only take blood from other O- people...

You should strike a deal with the health service, donate gallons of blood and get credits so it's reserved for you. Oh wait, they can actually freeze your own blood and give it back to you.

Actually a system like that would be great. You don't get a liver transplant unless you'd previously agreed to donate your organs when you die etc.

Top Bottom